Need help with BIOS AGP settings

Neod101

Well I got an X800XL quite a few months ago(almost a year) but it's AGP. However it's only running on AGP 4X when it should go up to 8X. I'm not sure if it's my motherboard or my BIOS settings. I've looked through my BIOS but I can't find anything to do with my graphics card anywhere.

Please help me find the setting(if there is one).

Need a bit more info mate,

What type of BIOS?

Intel or AMD?

Chipset? Driver versions?

Windows XP or *nix?

Is everything in sight fully up to date?

WHQL drivers? (does actually make a difference sometimes)

Need a bit more info mate,

What type of BIOS?

Intel or AMD?

Chipset? Driver versions?

Windows XP or *nix?

Is everything in sight fully up to date?

WHQL drivers? (does actually make a difference sometimes)

O.K. The BIOS says "BIOS VERSION: 8SIMLNF V1.0V". At the top of the screen it says something about the setup utility or whatever being "AMIBIOS VERSION 3.1c"(or something like that).

Intel(unfortunately)

By "Chipset" do you mean my motherboard? The driver version for my graphics card is 6.14(I think).

And I don't know anything about WHQL drivers.

Sorry I'm not very clear. I only just discovered that I could press F2(that's right. Not Del) to enter the BIOS.

Buy nvidia? Meh...

INTEL hardware, while not the fastest, is ususally the most stable. So replacing your motherboard because of a wrong setting is kinda overkill. And dumb.

WHQL is Windows Hardware Quality Labs, which means MS did some testing and there's less chance it will fubar your loved ones. They may not get your an uber 3d mark score, but in general these drivers are more stable, if your having problems try them.

What we need to know is who made your mobo, and what did they use? So grab CPU-Z from here http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php, and note down what it says. Also you can see what your mobo is set to AGP wise using CPU-Z.

You'll need get the latest drivers/bios updates for your hardware. This means the Intel INFs (if its intel) and the ATI stuff. Try www.guru3d.com.

You should of done it before, but head on over to windows update as well.

Once that is done, reboot and head into bios, go threw everything, until you find the AGP settings. Make sure its set to 8x not 4x (CPU-Z will tell you what it is set to).

If this doesn't fix it, update the BIOS on the mobo and card.

Sorry dude, its using a SiS 651 chipset which only supports AGP4X...

Now, to use AGPX8 you will need a new motherboard, which kinda means a new processor and RAM as well (depends on if you can find a compatible mobo that does x8 for your old stuff, check ebay etc).

But don't rush out with your beer money just yet, I'd wait until you can afford a PCI-E based system and do the lot then. Unless you can find something 2nd hand for cheap that is.

Thanks for the help.

As some of you may know my PC was unfortunately bought pre-made(because my mums friend had some credit or whatever at some place). It came with a Radeon 9200 AGP8X. However the motherboard doesn't support AGP8X. How stupid is that? It displayed on the case that it was AGP8X but it won't even run at that speed.

I just wanted to find out if it was my BIOS or my motherboard that was stopping me from going 8X.