VLAN questions

Forkish

For a vlan to work properly, does the end router need to be vlaned as well? What happens if your end router can’t vlan? Or if you’ve got a switch somewhere that is just a dumb switch? Does that muck it all up?

I’ve want to vlan (can vlan be a verb?) my roku and chromecast but I like my subneted, daisychained, convoluted setup. 

Edited by Spoonish

On 1/27/2018 at 4:10 AM, Spoonish said:

..but I like my subneted, daisychained, convoluted setup. 

:unsure: You worry me..

Actually it reminds me of Hammy from Over the Hedge: "but I like a cookie.."

Best line in the history of movies imo.

What kind of switch are you using for VLANing?

11 hours ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

:unsure: You worry me..

Actually it reminds me of Hammy from Over the Hedge: "but I like a cookie.."

Best line in the history of movies imo.

What kind of switch are you using for VLANing?

I was planning on using a modded neatgear with tomatoUSB/VPN (i don’t have to use the vpn, just part of the firmware build). I’ve also got an extra ddwrt wrt1900ac (have to unbrick the softbrick) but ddwrt’s vlan’s are like an iPhone headphone, easily tangled if touched wrong. The rest of my network runs through ddwrt routers. So if I need to figure one out I surmise I can figure the rest out. 

Yea, everything up to the endpoints need to be able to handle vlans.  The routers will usually be the creators of the vlans, then the switch will either trunk the vlans to another switch/router, or break the vlan out to a device.  From what i remember ddwrt does vlans, but not very well.  Also, just because the chromecast is vlaned off from the rest of the network, its traffic is still routing through the same switch.  It's not going to save bandwidth for the other devices, they just won't see it.

As for the dumb switch, you put the port it's connected to, to whatever vlan you want it on, and it just sees that vlan.  We do that for camera systems.  The poe switches for the cameras are on one network, and we'll either give them their own port on the firewall/router, or a vlan port on the core switch.

Edited by barry99705

I've only ever seen VLANs used on smart switches these days, as it's very easy to make specific ports on a switch act as VLAN trunk ports, while others act as other ports. I really like the idea of having a smart switch that has a few ports for a VPN, a few ports for VLAN trunks (multiple VLANs), a few other ports simply for internet access and then the rest for full network access - all the while PoE being turned off/on depending on the device using the port. It's a great idea.

Until some guy comes and plugs an AP into the VPN port and then everyone's on the VPN chewing the data :/