Ubuntu Server edition

nitro13

Hello everybody

This is my first time posting, and I just wanted to ask, why is Ubuntu taken for granted when it comes to be used on a server?

As far as supporting new hardwares and so on... it beats debian.

In any case, would you use Ubuntu server edition as your server os?

or would u rather go for Centos or a redhat based?

thank you very much guys!

you all rocks! love the forum and the community

Ubuntu is a pile of cack IMO. CentOS is far better, and you might want to look at BSD, it holds all the uptime records for servers.

what do you mean by "cack IMO"!

I am tempting to go with BSD, but not sure there hardware support is great!

u know NetBSD?

thx man

Just say no. Ubuntu is a feature pact desktop OS but is missing some security and enterprise features that CentOS and other more enterprise targeted distributions have. CentOS is easy to set up and is basically Red Hat Enterprise Linux, so it’s easy to use, feature packed and has a proven background in the server side of things.

If you're happy spending time configuring and setting up a server then OpenBSD is one of the best, if not the best operating systems for servers.

NetBSD is fine if you need something that is lightweight or you have some strange bit of hardware laying around but OpenBSD is better.

I know the server version of Ubuntu has some changes and they removed a lot of the crap, but its still not a good server operating system.

Just say no. Ubuntu is a feature pact desktop OS but is missing some security and enterprise features that CentOS and other more enterprise targeted distributions have. CentOS is easy to set up and is basically Red Hat Enterprise Linux, so it’s easy to use, feature packed and has a proven background in the server side of things.

If you're happy spending time configuring and setting up a server then OpenBSD is one of the best, if not the best operating systems for servers.

NetBSD is fine if you need something that is lightweight or you have some strange bit of hardware laying around but OpenBSD is better.

I know the server version of Ubuntu has some changes and they removed a lot of the crap, but its still not a good server operating system.

This is my config -

MB: Asus P5WD2 Premium

CPU: Pentium D

and a SATA II- Hdd

so do you think OpenBSD can support the hardware?

What makes openBSD better than freeBSD besides the crypto and sercurity aspects openBSD emphasizes, or is that just it?

The thing with servers is that in most cases you’re going to be opening it up to the outside world and people other then yourself, so security is a must. The thing is OpenBSD has most the good points of FreeBSD and Linux when it comes to the servers side of things and it is near impossible to beat in uptime.

Uptime records don't mean anything, the longer uptime a server has the less reboots it's had, the less security patches it's had installed, etc.

so... is it like a server runs faster under OpenBSD and bit slower with the others?!

I would say the most important things when it comes to an operating system for a server is:

(1) It does what you need it to do e.g. Mail server, file server, web server.

(2) Uptime.

(3) Security.

OpenBSD wins on all of them, but its not the most user friendly, which isn’t a huge issue, as if your running your own server you should have a better then average understanding of computers.

It’s hard to say OpenBSD runs faster then other OS, I would say if someone knows what there doing you can get Gentoo to run faster, although Gentoo is not the best OS for servers in my opinion.

Alright... I will give it a try and I'll see... otherwise I will then fall back to Centos...

I have no experience in BSD, more in linux...

would that be of a heck to switch from linux to BSD?

It’s not a huge change there are some differences but it’s not a massive leap.

all day centros or rhel or even fedora. Ive always been a fan of rpm based distros and imn used to the way redhat does things. but i respest debian, just not my thing. but ubuntu in a server situation. its just not what it was built for by the time you were done with it it would be back to a vanilla deb distro

for my servers im in for suse, this is only becuase most (if not all) of my work revolves around Novell, as for using Ubunto server, it doesnt really have anythink that the others dont all ready supply, its advantage is its Driver support, but for a server the only adv features ive used is pretty much raid, externaly back-up cubes (1tb) and a CSC RME UPS, which all support Suse. (mabye cos i got them from a novell supplier :roll: )

Hey Hey! Stop fighting over witch *nix based OS is best. We can all unite and say that windows sucks! :-)

I wouldn’t say it sucks, it’s just not the best pick for a server, but if your building a non MAME gaming box or CAD box, then Windows is the best.

You people must hate me lol... I love freeBSD and I love Windows!

I love:

Debian

Gentoo

Red Hat Enterprise Linux/ CentOS

Windows

VxWorks

OpenBSD

Solaris

Each one is best suited to different tasks/ situation.

I love Windows!

How!? The exploits, the patches, the BSOD! No you cant game under a *nix as easily as windows, but you can do so much more, in a much stable platform.

I need Multisim, Ultiboard, SolidWorks, AutoCAD and National Instruments LabVIEW which are all available for Windows

They are no alternative in the *NIX world that come anywhere near those products. Windows can be relatively secure if you know what your doing and I haven’t seen the BSOD in any notable numbers since Windows 98.

Photoshop and about a million other programs that don't work on linux natively. Plus, I can actually use windows. I don't get BSOD's, I don't get viruses, I don't get exploits used against me, the patches work fine and don't break things. Fedora Core 6 seems to have about 15 updates waiting for me everytime I boot it. Linux is not a cure all. Its good, but when you care more about the applications you use than the underlying OS you go with the OS that works best for the task at hand. #

Yes, you can run photoshop on linux, but its about as sensible as using a windows box as an apache server.

I'm using an XP box for my mail server (partly because I'm too damn dumb to get one working on a linux box. If you know any good tutorials to get on working on a debian system help me out I hate having 2 servers when I could have 1) I'm using hMailServer and I love it took about 1 min to get set up and it's got features up the wazoo. Everthing (excluding LAMP that was so easy with apt-get (apt-get pwns)) has always been easyer to do on windows, for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mail_...of_mail_servers

Been asking this question myself recently, I'm basically researching that list and would be interested to hear what people think. And is an all in one solution (like Courier) better than a seperate SMTP (qmail) and POP3/IMAP server?

You might also want to look at webmin/virtualmin.

T_T again im using a Novell based Suse mail server (GroupWise), though i have had experience with Kerio, and lotus. Ive found GW is great, but using the mail client there is no Mac installs. Though GW has a nice web interface.

Kerio was easly set up and configured, worked well for its porpus (internal mail server), and it also had a PDA client which i found rather nice ^_^, works on mac (parents have a thing for buying bloody i'books for there kids <_<). Though Kerio was replaced with GW with us when the failed to release an update patch for a know exploite (which was being exploited on our systems)

Lotus ive also found to be okay, though the install process took me quite a while and not much support was available. i didnt like it much but it was secure and works well, though we found that for a LAN it seemed there were better alterantives even in the open source range.

oh also Windows is what i use for my desktop lol, im not a hater, ive chosen effeciency over effectiveness.

Is'nt life great, when things just... work