Bad unit?

KenSC

Hi guys, I'm a n00b to this gear. I got my Tetra in the mail, and completed the setup. I got the latest firmware uploaded to the device, i believe 2.0.2.

No matter what i tried, i absolutely could not get the Tetra able to connect to the internet to download modules. I looked up many different tutorials just to make sure I was doing the ICS settings from Windows right, but no luck. Well, i've got it plugged into AC right now, and connected via the usb Ethernet v cable it comes with, and i've got it connected to another computer to try on this one. Now, it seems to be stuck  in a reboot loop. It comes up to a solid blue, then after maybe 30 seconds goes dark and reboots.

Any thoughts? I was hoping to use this gear for a client on friday.

If it is stuck rebooting, you can factory reset is by holding down the reset button on the back for seven-ish seconds. Be sure to follow the steps here to set it up. As for connecting to the internet, there are several ways that work and several ways that don't work.

You can use Wifi-Client mode (in networking tab) to connect to a wifi network, but you won't be able to use PineAP unless you plug in another wifi dongle.

Direct ethernet connection to the wall works for me sometimes, usually not on corporate networks for me. When I am on a corporate or university network I usually just share connection from another pc that already has access or set up a network bridge.

Using a Y-cable to the tetra's micro-usb ethernet port, I am usually able to remote access the pineapple, but I cannot access the modules section or the bulletins, even if my devices associated with the management AP of the pineapple can reach the internet through it. I think the actual ethernet port is better suited for network sharing.

There are a lot of ways to configure the pineapple in your network, it may take some finagling to get it to work best for your environment.

Are you using the power cable that came with the device? The pineapple requires a 12V/12A power cable, and I have had booting issues where my pineapple wouldn't stay powered on if it was either using a lower voltage cable or plugged into a bad outlet. Maybe try a different outlet or cable?

25 minutes ago, KenSC said:

Yeah, it's all the same cables it shipped with. I tried another outlet...even with just the power cable connected and not USB cable, it's still power cycling.

Did you already try a firmware recovery just in case? https://www.wifipineapple.com/pages/faq

DAMNIT. I seem to have spoken too soon. I was able to redo the setup, download modules and follow the tutorial. When i start the PineAP daemon, it reboots, but it seems only when i also enable Beacon Response or Broadcast SSID Pool. I'm wondering if i've got some corrupt memory or it's overheating or something? It seems like it reboots whenever it's doing something major, besides just a scan. I’ve also confirmed it will reboot when I kick off an SSID DEAUTH.

43 minutes ago, KenSC said:

DAMNIT. I seem to have spoken too soon. I was able to redo the setup, download modules and follow the tutorial. When i start the PineAP daemon, it reboots, but it seems only when i also enable Beacon Response or Broadcast SSID Pool. I'm wondering if i've got some corrupt memory or it's overheating or something? It seems like it reboots whenever it's doing something major, besides just a scan. I’ve also confirmed it will reboot when I kick off an SSID DEAUTH.

Join this thread and try to give @Foxtrot a copy of your serial log like the others.

Archived