Why OpenWRT over DD-WRT

PoSHMagiC0de

Just wondering.  I never looked at any of the WRT distros until I found my old Linksys and said to myself, "Hmm, lets see if we can flash it with one of the open source firmwares."

The first thing I thought about was OpenWRT so I checked it out.  Did you know on their main site it has not been updated for a year?  I also looked for instructions for my particular router and seen disturbing posts.  Wifi not working with the firmware, this and that issues listed.  Next to them all was the author saying not going to fix.  In fact, not going to fix was on almost everything.  This threw of flags making me think this distro is going the way of the DoDo.

So, during my search for answers I found DD-WRT.  Took a look at it and they have a image for my router that was put up that as soon as December 2017.  I also read all good things about it.  I have not flashed it yet but going to when I have time to work on that.

So, question I have is, is there a reason some Hak5 products still utilize OpenWRT  versus DD-WRT which seems to have development still happening in it this very day?

4 hours ago, PoSHMagiC0de said:

So, question I have is, is there a reason some Hak5 products still utilize OpenWRT  versus DD-WRT which seems to have development still happening in it this very day?

DD-WRT is actully Openwrt based also, DD-WRT more of a custom build for a wide range of routers. Beta v3.0 build  https://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/other-downloads

There was a dev split from OpenWRT and they formed LEDE, but after some time it looks like they worked out the issues and are re-merging https://lede-project.org/

In my eyes, OpenWRT/LEDE is the OS and DD-WRT/TOMATO roms are custom "builds" for specific routers.

Edited by Just_a_User

I didn't know about the LEDE thing.  Good to see I am was not the only one wondering about the version of OpenWRT on the devices and good to see the Hak5 team is already on it.  Was just wondering because on the OpenWRT site things look outdated and gives signs of no more development which sparked the concern.

33 minutes ago, PoSHMagiC0de said:

I didn't know about the LEDE thing.  Good to see I am was not the only one wondering about the version of OpenWRT on the devices and good to see the Hak5 team is already on it.  Was just wondering because on the OpenWRT site things look outdated and gives signs of no more development which sparked the concern.

Yeah, until the LEDE / OpenWrt merger is done, I doubt the page will see many updates. 

Their code base however receives regular commits. 

On 1/15/2018 at 6:23 PM, Dave-ee Jones said:

Yeah, AFAIK DD-WRT is built from OpenWRT but works on less devices. OpenWRT supposedly supports a wider range.

Openwrt works on a slew of peripherals.

google (but don’t use google) tiny blue pineapple or fun things to do with openwrt

6 hours ago, Spoonish said:

Openwrt works on a slew of peripherals.

google (but don’t use google) tiny blue pineapple or fun things to do with openwrt

Google but don't Google..Are you saying Google something somewhere where the sun don't shine?

Still, OpenWRT doesn't work on all devices :dry: My RP-WD03 still doesn't accept OpenWRT.

I prefer startpage/ixquick; ddg after that and sometimes encrypted.google for dorking around.

Using startpage as a verb is yet to be socially savvy.