Hak5 Forums
s3gfault

PineAP Beacon Response

Hopefully someone can help me troubleshoot a few issues I'm having with my TETRA.

I've completed the initial setup and ICS script seems to work fine -- upgraded firmware to newest and all looks good. However I have 2 issues that I've been unable to sort out so far.

Most importantly, whenever I enable the PineAP daemon and select Beacon Response, the TETRA reboots. I click on save settings and after a few moments the blue and red LED will go solid for about 3 seconds and then the device restarts. This happens every time and is easily reproduced. I've already factory reset and did a firmware recovery -- no modules have been installed at this point. I'm powering the device via the 12V/2A wall adapter that was provided in the kit.

The other issue is that I'm not able to SSH into the TETRA. According to the documentation, I should be able to but I don't see port 22 as being open. Looking into the logs, I do see the following error messages:

Mon Jan  8 03:38:44 2018 user.info autossh[1284]: starting ssh (count 12)
Mon Jan  8 03:38:44 2018 user.info autossh[1284]: ssh child pid is 1738
Mon Jan  8 03:38:44 2018 user.info autossh[1284]: ssh exited with error status 255; restarting ssh

I'm at a loss for things to try at this point -- please any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance!

5 hours ago, s3gfault said:

Mon Jan 8 03:38:44 2018

The other issue is that I'm not able to SSH into the TETRA. According to the documentation, I should be able to but I don't see port 22 as being open. Looking into the logs, I do see the following error messages:

Let's start by finding out how you are connecting to the Tetra.
Are you using  a USB connection to the eth port, network cable, or the wireless admin network?

I'm asking because after i upgraded to version 2.0.2 i had some connection issues with SSH on my Tetra.
I know it was running, but i couldn't even get the port to display as open from nmap.
I don't remember exactly how i fixed it, but i emptied the iptables rules and it did the trick for me.

Thanks for the information, I'll check the iptables rules when I get home tonight and see if there's anything wrong.

Since this is a brand new TETRA with stock firmware, I'd expect this to work out of the box -- it sounds like if we're both affected after upgrading to 2.0.2, then this is a firmware issue and a bug should opened for it. I'll do that now (if one hasn't already been opened).

I'm able to access the shell via the UART connection, so I have a workaround for now.

The bigger problem is the TETRA restarting when Beacon Response is enabled, this happens every time it's enabled.

I just had the fuse to our living-room blown, which made my Tetra do its first reboot since the upgrade.
Now i had to connect to the managment AP, and then SSH into the Tetra.
I could not use the ethernet connection, which the Tetra is normally connected to. Couldn't even load the web-gui from ethernet.
It only responded to an ICMP ping, and that's it.

After i connected to the managment AP on the Tetra and flushed the iptables it would allow me to open the web-gui and SSH over ethernet.

8 minutes ago, Zylla said:

It only responded to an ICMP ping, and that's it.

The firewall was stepped up on new firmware, there was a small discussion about it, i also used it often so noticed it straight away.

34 minutes ago, Just_a_User said:

The firewall was stepped up on new firmware, there was a small discussion about it, i also used it often so noticed it straight away.

Ahh. Thanks for the heads-up! I wasn't aware of that :)

We'll re-work this and give you the options on first boot. 

We'll also warn the users of changes that may seem like bugs, but are intended (such as the filters on the open ap) 

1 minute ago, Sebkinne said:

We'll re-work this and give you the options on first boot. 

We'll also warn the users of changes that may seem like bugs, but are intended (such as the filters on the open ap) 

Sounds nice! :)
But i guess i really should have read the changelog before updating.
Thanks for the updates!

1 minute ago, Zylla said:

Sounds nice! :)
But i guess i really should have read the changelog before updating.
Thanks for the updates!

No one did, so we need to make sure it's emphasized on the initial setup. 

We'll add things like timezone, wireless region, firewall configuration, and filters too. 

• Like 1

Can we have the latest wireless region for AU please which allows 4 watts? :)

@Sebkinne Do you have any ideas what's going on in regards top enabling Beacon Response and the subsequent crash I'm experiencing?

Is there any troubleshooting I can do to help you isolate the cause? This is a brand new TETRA using the officially supplied power supply. No modifications or additional software was installed on it and it happens 100% of the time. 

P.S. This topic is starting to get a bit off topic :tongue:

Thank you, it's much appreciated.

Just to update: I've also tried using a brand new 12V/6A power supply to ensure it wasn't power related -- unfortunately, it's still happening.