Hak5 Forums
s3gfault

PineAP Beacon Response

My first suggestion to anyone having an issue with their new TETRA:

1. Make sure to properly upgrade the firmware to the latest version and you are using the power cable coming with the unit
  2. Add only one antenna to the TETRA (ex. in front left)
  3. Boot the device and try to enable PineAP and all options/check-boxes and save
  4. Ty to execute Recon and send a Deauth
  5. Shutdown the device and repeat this by adding one by one each antenna at the time and doing the same test above

*My device worked well with 1, 2, 3 antennas, then when I've added the 4  one and tested, it crashed and rebooted.
**Doing this will allow you to identify if the issue is caused by a defect unit related to the antenna. It's my case, maybe you too.

Edited by Smurf4u

Hi everyone,

Currently, it looks like there is a hardware issue which manifests itself in various ways. Thankfully only a small number of devices are affected.

Anyone affected by this issue, please contact Hak5 for a replacement. We will exchange all defective units ASAP, and will further analyze the problem further with our Hardware Manufacturer.

I would like to thank everyone in this thread for helping us narrow down the issue.

• Like 1

Hi all - I just want to chime in here as I've been monitoring the thread. After thoroughly testing a number of units from the most recent manufacturing run I have been able to find one which reproduces this issue. We're starting a comprehensive failure analysis process now.

How can I tell if my device is affected?
Affected devices will immediately cash and reboot after enabling any of the packet-injecting PineAP functions, such as Deauth, Beacon Response and Broadcast SSID Pool. You will notice this immediately after enabling these features on a new device for the first time. If your device has been able to use these features in the past, it is not affected.

If your device crashes and reboots after attempting to use the packet-injecting PineAP functions - please use this test to confirm that it is indeed a hardware issue causing the problem. 1. Removing the antennas 2. Attempt to use said packet-injecting PineAP functions again. It is very important that you only do this if your device immediately cashes and reboots when attempting to use packet-injection functions as removing antennas from any wireless device has the potential to damage its radios. If, without the antennas, the device now does not crash and reboot it can be confirmed that your device is affected and the hardware needs to be replaced.

What do I do if my device is confirmed as affected?
As Seb mentioned, please contact Hak5 and indicate your order number and MAC address (printed on the bottom next to the serial number). If confirmed to be affected with this issue, we will send a return label to retrieve your damaged unit for further investigation. A replacement unit will be promptly furnished.

I'm truly sorry for the inconvenience this issue has caused for those of you affected. I want to thank everyone who has pitched in to help diagnose this issue. You have all been so helpful. It's unfortunate. We should have caught this sooner. We will stand by our product and make it right. Thanks all.

• Like 1

Thank you, @Darren Kitchen!

I'm really happy to see that Hak5 is standing behind their products and doing what they (you) can to make this right.

It's unfortunate that it turned out to be a hardware issue -- I was really hoping for a software fix.

As per your instruction, I've confirmed the issue does resolve when the antennas are removed, I'll update my support ticket with the MAC address and wait for return shipping.

Edited by s3gfault
  • Like 1

Hello!

I apologize for my english, 'm from Spain.

I have a ticket open with support and I've uploaded some videos with crash of my device. 

Deauth + Site Survey https://youtu.be/lJeUA4B5C5w
Deauth + Site Survey https://youtu.be/6ge4tsEiyFw
Only Deauth https://youtu.be/hlnaRj56yn0 

This links maybe helps to somebody

Thanks!

Hello everyone, I was reading the post, really useful.

I think I have the same problem, plus I can use WiFi Client mode, using wlan1, or adding a Wireless adapter, wlan2, in both cases crash. (somebody else?)
PineAP works only if I don't have any antena plugged.

On 2018/1/26 at 5:27 AM, Smurf4u said:

Hi KenSC

Often referred as serial tty communication, we do it as follow:
Serial Console on the WiFi Pineapple TETRA (see first subject in General Questions)
If you are under Linux like myself, you can use minicom, my config attached. Else, putty on Windows works.

Y cable USB in your computer, the other end in UART port on the Tetra. Then you boot the device and after few seconds, you can start your putty or minicom. If properly connected, you will see activity in putty or minicom. Then you can connect to the Tetra ssid and web management interface and make the device crash, logs will show in the  putty or minicom screen. You can then copy and paste the result into a text editor. Putty can also be set in options to save all logs to a text file automatically. Hope this help you, if you have questions, do not hesitate.

Selection_045.png

Hi Smurf4u,

Please help

I have some issue configuring /dev/ttyUSB0 - "no such file or folder"

What is the location for this? On Linux host machine or pineapple?

Many thanks,

ZEROI

On 2018/1/27 at 11:49 AM, Darren Kitchen said:

Hi all - I just want to chime in here as I've been monitoring the thread. After thoroughly testing a number of units from the most recent manufacturing run I have been able to find one which reproduces this issue. We're starting a comprehensive failure analysis process now.

How can I tell if my device is affected?
Affected devices will immediately cash and reboot after enabling any of the packet-injecting PineAP functions, such as Deauth, Beacon Response and Broadcast SSID Pool. You will notice this immediately after enabling these features on a new device for the first time. If your device has been able to use these features in the past, it is not affected.

If your device crashes and reboots after attempting to use the packet-injecting PineAP functions - please use this test to confirm that it is indeed a hardware issue causing the problem. 1. Removing the antennas 2. Attempt to use said packet-injecting PineAP functions again. It is very important that you only do this if your device immediately cashes and reboots when attempting to use packet-injection functions as removing antennas from any wireless device has the potential to damage its radios. If, without the antennas, the device now does not crash and reboot it can be confirmed that your device is affected and the hardware needs to be replaced.

What do I do if my device is confirmed as affected?
As Seb mentioned, please contact Hak5 and indicate your order number and MAC address (printed on the bottom next to the serial number). If confirmed to be affected with this issue, we will send a return label to retrieve your damaged unit for further investigation. A replacement unit will be promptly furnished.

I'm truly sorry for the inconvenience this issue has caused for those of you affected. I want to thank everyone who has pitched in to help diagnose this issue. You have all been so helpful. It's unfortunate. We should have caught this sooner. We will stand by our product and make it right. Thanks all.

Thank you Darren for the useful insight, I followed your recommended procedure, without the antennas my tetra still crash and reboot itself when I try to do either enable PineAP or Wifi client mode. My device has passed your test (if it's definitive), indicating a hardware defect may not be the issue causing this problem. Since the problem still exits, should I wait for another firmware upgrade to fix it?

Same issue exactly. New unit that I got this week. 

Simple single deauth on one Mac and she reboots. 

With all antennas off too. 

Thought I was a victim of my own noob for the last few days. 

Glad im not alone and there is a recognized issue. 

I contacted customer service

5 minutes ago, Jehu4u said:

With all antennas off too.  

then it would seem you dont have the same issue see quote from darren

On 1/27/2018 at 3:49 AM, Darren Kitchen said:

If, without the antennas, the device now does not crash and reboot it can be confirmed that your device is affected and the hardware needs to be replaced.

You have done a firmware recovery right? using the correct factory firmware?

2 hours ago, Just_a_User said:

then it would seem you dont have the same issue see quote from darren

You have done a firmware recovery right? using the correct factory firmware?

Sure have with the proper factory bin. 

Same issue. Factory bin puts it at 2.0.2

1 minute ago, Jehu4u said:

Sure have with the proper factory bin. 

Same issue. Factory bin puts it at 2.0.2

Fair enough, Was just pointing out while very similar the symptoms you describe are very slightly different to this specific issue. It could however end up being a variation of the same root fault.

Hopefully Hak5 support get it sorted for you.