New antenna build. 3d printed 5.8ghz parabolic

i8igmac

fzwdgqu.jpg

INQSx1C.jpg

kTJRnQV.jpg

Tt7YTQW.jpg

hPmqoBM.jpg

my soldering is not the best but what is important here is how precise the copper is cut to 13.05mm

I made my cuts at 14mm and then file down until 13.05 is measured...

the yellow mounts snap into place, with this design I can reprint new feeder designs and reuse the reflector.

this reflector was my first print from about 1 year ago. You may notice the condition my 3d printed pc case has melted due to a hot summer sitting in the window. I'm getting some new spools of abs and pla.

Im installing some lights and a camera for my printer. Ill try and make some time lapse videos with signal quality comparison...

If some one would like to test this with a drone, i can design a proper mount for the controller and a trade could be made. I would like to see if this could outperform a expensive drone antenna. 

I also have a 5.8ghz double biquad design that has better performance, I have been using for a full year but also melted. 

w7e8Xch.jpg

VK7VC6n.jpg

1bCwcwl.jpg

hwJgP4X.jpg

tNytrqd.jpg

Edited by i8igmac
Edit

5 hours ago, z3d888 said:

looks pretty cool,  did you need a large commercial style 3d printer to make it?

I would like to get my hands on a 3d printer 1 day and have some fun  :-)

nice job!

I got mine last Christmas, I had no issues so far... the biggest print size bed for the price I paid 350$

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13860&gclid=Cj0KCQiAp8fSBRCUARIsABPL6JZHHKQB-sAR6pBvduky_Dhlj-1xsXchrY7XpLs6VTX3qK3u8i836-saAn4aEALw_wcB

the price went down and there are new versions...

The best one I think is the prusa...

huge amount of reading before I purchased mine.

Took me 20 minutes to assemble. There are horror stories I read about other printers taking 24 hours to assemble and pieces did not fit.

I just had a read up on your link you posted i8igmac, looks great and I was unaware the price had come down so far from when I saw 3d printers come out. Last time i asked in a shop they were still in the thousands for a basic looking unit.

Prices like that I might have to treat myself later after my new order of gear comes from hak5 this week ;-)  I am not bad on art design software, how did you go designing your own stuff on the software provided? 

Still pretty cool that you made your own pc case and antenna. I don't think I would know what to try and make first hahah

1 hour ago, z3d888 said:

I just had a read up on your link you posted i8igmac, looks great and I was unaware the price had come down so far from when I saw 3d printers come out. Last time i asked in a shop they were still in the thousands for a basic looking unit.

Prices like that I might have to treat myself later after my new order of gear comes from hak5 this week ;-)  I am not bad on art design software, how did you go designing your own stuff on the software provided? 

Still pretty cool that you made your own pc case and antenna. I don't think I would know what to try and make first hahah

On linux I use freecad to design, after watching a few tutorials on part design utility I practice with a feww simple projects like a bearing to hold my spool of plastic. 

Then I export the abject for use with slic3r. This piece of software creates printer gcode x,y,z locations. You can adjust speed, fill material patterns, temperatures and all kinds of printing options.

its all trial and error, once I got proper slic3r options that would produce a proper print I had to save this as a config ffor use with future prints.

If you have the funds, I would check out prusa.

Edited by i8igmac

Thanks for the info, I will definitely be following your advice and grabbing one in the not to distant future. Like most of us its not funds I need really, its spare time lol I have my tetra and accessories arriving soon as its in transit :-) so I am going to need a few weeks to work all that new stuff out lol Once I'm on top of all that im am definitely keen and will be looking at getting one of these printers. That really surprised me how cheap they have become and the link you posted they sound great for the price.

Thanks again for all the info and the links

• 2 months later...

CaBz8Mz.jpg

oczYUZa.png

(Above pictures)

(Notice the Noise level 16dB)

here are two 7inch tall maybe (5 - 7dbi) possibly a coil dipole  2.4  / 5.8ghz.

this connection from 120 foot. 5.8ghz access point to my repeater.

this connection is unstable with these antennas, constantly disconnects and reconnects at channel 40 

FgxHcIa.png

YFRP8bN.jpg

RzHUFrF.jpg

(3 pictures above)

(Notice the noise level 25dB)

same connection from 120 foot. 5.8ghz access point to my repeater.

new and improved. PETG printed at a higher temperature to prevent warping in sunlight.

i used a vinyl sticker cutting machine(cricket) to get a perfect cutout of copper the two biquad 5.8ghz elements. :cool:

there is a 40mm focal point, this time i soldered the reflector to the coax using a tube of copper. (check pictures)

there is a gap across the middle of the reflector you see a long blue line. both are soldered separately to the coax.

this change i thought might cause issues because the distance from the reflector to the element at this frequency should be 5mm and im at 40mm, i dont see any problems so far.

im not sure how to measure db gain from linux i use wavemon as you see the pictures above...

Fuck It ill call this a 25dbi antenna :grin:

this thing downloads files as if i was standing right next to the router.

all my machines in my house connect on 2.4ghz and then out this antenna through 5.8ghz. 

im just going to dump a bunch of photos. i wish i had my camera and lighting setup for a 3dprinter video... would have been fun. im still working on lighting and a camera setup.

w3zTjgG.jpg

RzHUFrF.jpg

YFRP8bN.jpg

p5mGP3F.jpg

8QelxC4.jpg

Kxg1F31.jpg

K6GK5Z3.jpg

zyN9hTe.jpg

4zkKMEK.jpg

SUzYIRr.jpg

UT4GGGc.jpg

uZ3a9Fs.jpg