Hak5 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Yelleke

backpack with usb charging port

ebay image

Is it possible to use it for usb tethering or controlling the pineapple

I would like to buy such backpack to put a tetra with battery in it.
It would be nice to hold the phone and control the tetra while walking.

Is such usb port useable for that or does it only charge the phone ?

You would want the antennas to be as close to vertical as possible.  

The Power should be (per Tetra specs) 18 watts.   That's two ports of 5 Volts with a full 2 amperes (each) available by using the included USB Y cable.  That's more than many phone charger packs provide.   If the pack is good for that, you can then plug the phone into the tetra, which will provide it with power as it provides tethered internet to the Tetra (depending on the phone service you have).

I would buy the back pack for what it is and a quality battery pack (such as Anker) instead of whatever junk they include in that back pack.

Hak5 store sells an EDC hip pack and anker battery as a combo.  

thanks for your answer, but ...

Its not the battery pack I'm intrested in  and I'll replace the battery asap.

The antennas would be placed (with souwed velcro) vertical on the laptop bay, with a little cable to the tetra (max 4").

I only wanted to know if the usb port in such backpack has all cables soldered.

Is it only the red and black for power that is soldered or are the data cables soldered as well ?

Can I use the usb port for more than charging ?

On the bag I have, which is not this one, it's power only, and they're proprietary batteries.

I have the NRG Solar Backpack here:

https://www.amazon.com/Ghostek-NRGsolar-Computer-Messenger-Resistant/dp/B073VYQY39/

I just confirmed the outside port it offers does support data connections and while the battery can be replaced it's a decent size/abilities so far for me.  Haven't tested the full power rating capacity just yet but off the few charges i have done with my phone and the state of the battery indicator it seems close to on par.  The other plus side is there are a few passthrough spots on the bag where you can run cables easily.  I actually have a second quickcharge battery wired up where the main battery is and the long cable comes right out on the back near the waist line.  Overall the backpack is extremely good quality and the water resistant stands up to the light rain i've been in so far.

Plus read their description page on amazon, one of the best for a backpack i've seen. 

You could just connect your phone to the wireless management AP  or you can tether an android device to it.

or you could plug in a 3rd radio and run a wifi hotspot on your phone.  This is something that needs to be done before putting it in the backpack as you will need the ip address your phone gives the pineapple.  Ive found that if you use the same usb wifi dongle, that the pineapple will consistently use the same ip.  So set it up and get that ip and then when you put it in the bookbag you can start everything up and already know what ip address to go to.  My pixel gives out a 192.168.43.xxx then just add the :1471 at the end and boom, good to go.

I use a 5.11 rush 12 for edc and it works great for both