LAN Turtle 3g: no modules anymore since last update

Hi, I got to play with my Turtle for the first time 2 days ago. Worked pretty fine and I could follow the primer video's that Daren has on youtube. I got to the point where I had a working SSH-relay over a cloud-hosted C2-server that I setup for this experiment. Now, as Daren recommends in his videos, I went for an update of the firmware. Nothing wrong, the thing was connected to the internet via the ethernet-port so it went like a breeze. After about 15min or so I could login again with the default pass, but when I now try to install any modules it says it can't find any. When I try to get another system update it says it's offline while if I go to shell and view the ifconfig output it does show that I have an IP from my local LAN.

Already did some digging and found already one fix: after the 'offline' message when I went for a system update check, I went into the shell to check if I had internet. A simple wget google.com indicated that I didn't. Unplugged it and plugged it in again, nothing. So I went back to the turtle shell, and figured that the thing maybe is trying to make a WAN connection over the 3g modem, which would not work ofcourse because I don't have a SIM in it yet. So, I noticed that the 3g configs had a setting to do a 'fallback to wan', so I enabled that and set the fallback timer from the default 200 to 5. Not entirely sure if this is correct but I figured that this setting means that by default the turtle would look for an internet-connection on the 3g modem first and if it didn't get a connection on that after 200sec it would fallback to the ethernet-port. 

This actually fixed the internet-connection issue indeed, after making these fallback settings I could succesfully wget google.com. So I thought "hey I got internet, so let's try to get these modules back to work", but still no luck. When I try to install a system update from the Turtle shell it doesn't complain about offline connection or so, it just says 'no updates found', same for when I try to install modules. 

I have already tried getting the latest firmware (version 4) and flash the Turtle with this but this didn't change anything. Again: all this trouble started after I upgraded. When I received my Turtle it just worked out of the box with the installed firmware, but it got fubar since I upgraded.

Any help? Suggestions? I noticed a few other posts concerning the same issue but these date from 2yrs ago and since I'm guessing this has something to do with the most recent update I installed I figured it would probably be better to create a new thread on the topic.

6 minutes ago, Just_a_User said:

Confirmed on standard LANturtle,

v3 all ok, v4 modules are "funny" I had some download & install but some had issues running or installing dependencies.

So something is definitely off with the latest version. Anyone from the developers around that could have a clue about what's causing this? 

2 minutes ago, Digitally Colourful Mistifier said:

Anyone from the developers around that could have a clue about what's causing this? 

Its holidays. So I hope they are enjoying some family and friends time ATM. Also there is a new release of WIfi Pineapple firmware which needs some support.

I would say for now rock the v3 FW and im sure they will get to it ASAP. I will also mention to them on IRC when I next see them online.

I think we might have found the issue. Can you please try running the following command over ssh:

echo "src/gz chaos_calmer_oldpackages http://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05.1/ar71xx/generic/packages/oldpackages" >> /etc/opkg/distfeeds.conf

After you have done this, reboot your LAN Turtle and try again. Do the issues go away?

23 minutes ago, Sebkinne said:

Hi @Digitally Colourful Mistifier and @Just_a_User,

What modules are causing the issues?

I just installed all of them, so not really sure which one it was. But the trouble didn't start when having those modules installed. It started when having upgraded to v4. I undid it by downloading v3 and downgrading again. So I currently run v3 without any problems. I think the behavior can be reconstructed by just upgrading a clean device to v4.

19 minutes ago, Sebkinne said:

I think we might have found the issue. Can you please try running the following command over ssh:

echo "src/gz chaos_calmer_oldpackages http://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05.1/ar71xx/generic/packages/oldpackages" >> /etc/opkg/distfeeds.conf

After you have done this, reboot your LAN Turtle and try again. Do the issues go away?

Ran command. Rebooted. Uninstalled modules.

Installed nmap, tried to configure, when i get to log see flash of an error something about window opening but its very fast so i cant grab screen shot. Cant run the scan as no log configured.

15 minutes ago, Sebkinne said:

Thanks but I just finished setting it up on v3 as I wanted it for my project so I'm going to stay on v3 for now. 
I don't think the fix you suggest would actually solve the connection problem after having upgraded to v4.

Archived