Ducky work Pre-BIOS & BIOS?

datguy_dev

Greetings,

I have a project idea to use a rubber ducky (or similar) to enter a BIOS and then configure some settings. A solution for a repetitive task of mine. I do not have a ducky atm, but I would imagine the rubber ducky would work in the BIOS and the menus as you can plug in a HID device after the fact and it'll work? But most importantly, I need it to be pressing F2/F10/F1 for example as the computer is powered on to enter the BIOS or boot to PXE.

Is the rubber ducky or Arduinos capable of this?

4 hours ago, Ranish said:

Funny that you mentioned it I’ve been thinking the same, just not gotten around to try it. Should work though, can’t se why not. :grin:

If your up to it, I'd appreciate it if you'd try entering the BIOS with your ducky. I just went on vacation and will soon try with the digispark. Prefer to use a rubber ducky as that is a better product for the project and whatnot.

The digispark does not work pre-boot or in the BIOS. Tried with two different systems, with different combinations of keyboards and states. Such as I thought perhaps the BIOS maybe become fixed on USB discovery once loaded ... But nothing. Guess I'd have to hack the electrical connections of a standard keyboard with transistors in order to do this.

I have been playing around a little with it now and yes on my ThinkPad I can enter the BIOS navigate around it do some tasks and then save.

I had it plugged in before I powered the laptop.

Next I need to time our PXE Boot installs so I can automate that completely! Plug in and forget! 

13 minutes ago, Ranish said:

I have been playing around a little with it now and yes on my ThinkPad I can enter the BIOS navigate around it do some tasks and then save.

I had it plugged in before I powered the laptop.

Next I need to time our PXE Boot installs so I can automate that completely! Plug in and forget! 

Tried with a HP EliteBook 8460p and that worked fine.

Did some navigation in BIOS and then saved and proceeded to PXE boot the laptop

https://pastebin.com/raw/A78iJZBD

2 hours ago, Ranish said:

Tried with a HP EliteBook 8460p and that worked fine.

Did some navigation in BIOS and then saved and proceeded to PXE boot the laptop

https://pastebin.com/raw/A78iJZBD

Thanks a lot for testing Ranish! I appreciate it greatly.

The rubberducky is the most promising HID automation device I've found thus far for doing such things. Moreover, the boot time. But what I really need is GPIO capability of the device as well because I configure many different models and brands. Therefore, I'd like to select which duckyscript* to run whether I need to configure Dell or HP etc. I noticed the BashBunny has GPIO, or additional GPIO pins given the vias on the board I could probably hack around with. But I could configure a BIOS before a BB boots so it wouldn't be as useful as a platform like the rubber ducky for my project. If you have advice on having GPIO, I'm all ears.

16 hours ago, datguy_dev said:

Thanks a lot for testing Ranish! I appreciate it greatly.

The rubberducky is the most promising HID automation device I've found thus far for doing such things. Moreover, the boot time. But what I really need is GPIO capability of the device as well because I configure many different models and brands. Therefore, I'd like to select which duckyscript* to run whether I need to configure Dell or HP etc. I noticed the BashBunny has GPIO, or additional GPIO pins given the vias on the board I could probably hack around with. But I could configure a BIOS before a BB boots so it wouldn't be as useful as a platform like the rubber ducky for my project. If you have advice on having GPIO, I'm all ears.

Have the same issue and with a few different models and brands I've just ordered a few smaller SD cards 4GB and a card holder similar to this from one of our suppliers.

I'm going to make a card per model and since it's easy to swap the sd card on a "naked" Rubber Ducky I think thats the best way of doing it.

The Bash Bunny i've found is a bit slow to start. However, the Bash Bunny is supper easy to swap beteween two payloads and easy to change the payload since it shows up as a usb drive when in "arming mode". Not tested it with BIOS tasks yet. I'll see if I get around to playing with it some if you want to but I'm gonna go with the Rubber Ducky and extra SD-card for my installs.

I can, when I've done the timings of my installs just try it all on the Bash Bunny as well. Might have to open bios manually but the rest will proberly work.

What modells do you work with?

And what is't you want to do in the BIOS? 

We have some HP EliteBooks that I PXE-boot in to a MDT-Install, after that I run some settings when they are installed but most is done by the MDT-Install

On 12/22/2017 at 3:12 AM, Ranish said:

Have the same issue and with a few different models and brands I've just ordered a few smaller SD cards 4GB and a card holder similar to this from one of our suppliers.

I'm going to make a card per model and since it's easy to swap the sd card on a "naked" Rubber Ducky I think thats the best way of doing it.

The Bash Bunny i've found is a bit slow to start. However, the Bash Bunny is supper easy to swap beteween two payloads and easy to change the payload since it shows up as a usb drive when in "arming mode". Not tested it with BIOS tasks yet. I'll see if I get around to playing with it some if you want to but I'm gonna go with the Rubber Ducky and extra SD-card for my installs.

I can, when I've done the timings of my installs just try it all on the Bash Bunny as well. Might have to open bios manually but the rest will proberly work.

What modells do you work with?

And what is't you want to do in the BIOS? 

We have some HP EliteBooks that I PXE-boot in to a MDT-Install, after that I run some settings when they are installed but most is done by the MDT-Install

I've only worked with the BB.

Turns out what you need of a HID device for it to work in the BIOS are particular boot protocols. The device has to support them. So the digispark does not support it. But apparently the rubberducky, official Arduino* Uno, and Teensy do.  I've settled on the Rpi + Teensy. (https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/48581-BIOS-project-sanity-check)

• 2 weeks later...

maybe you guys could use one of these guy's platforms, and have scripts ready per platform or motherboard like you are saying , and just click which one on your cellphone.

https://github.com/BlueArduino20/super_wifi_ducky

https://github.com/michalmonday/supremeDuck

https://hackaday.io/project/27533-bluetooth-rubber-duck/#j-discussions-title

Would be awesome for a newer RubberDucky to come out that had the same bluetooth or wifi compatibility.. I mean the modules are cheap.