Packet Squirrel VS. LAN Turtle

zkylet

Each are stealthier in different situations depending. The Squirrel is smaller, easier to hide but if seen might be viewed as unusual.  The Squirrel with dual ethernet ports has  a broader "middle" for exploits or investigations than the Turtle which is limited to USB on one side.  The Turtle is more mature and has a bigger library of payloads.  The Turtle SD supports an SD card and thus the potential for a larger area to store exfiltrated data while still being stealthy.   Adding a thumb drive to the Squirrel would add to it's weirdness if actually ever noticed.

The Squirrel depends on a switch to select payloads.  The Turtle can schedule different and multiple payloads through a OVPN connection.   The Squirrel might one day have the firmware to run different payloads (without restarting it) or, to schedule"Modularized" payloads.

Neither is terribly expensive so get both.  From a learning perspective, the different environments provide more to learn about and to think about for whatever it is you might one day wish to do.

Just now, Just_a_User said:

What level hardware would you like to see in these devices?

Atleast the processor like the raspberry pi zero, it can be done for 5 dollars so it can certainly be done. That SoC that they are using is terrible with 64mb of ram and 16 mb of storage. 

Atleast 256 mb of ram and sd card for storage, so we don't have to rely on USB to provide storage. 

One can get or create most of the things found in Squirrel and Rabbit but for a Raspberry Pi.  Certainly the Pi has an ample programming environment and none of this stuff is that hard to conceive.   The problem with the Raspberry Pi or anything more powerful is that it looks like that thing, it's bigger, harder to hide and would attract immediate attention. No?  As for "$5.00" - that's probably about 20x the cost of the processor in the Hak5 products. Add more stuff for a second Ethernet port or whatever, and it's more still.   

If you think the Pi is a better path for your needs, use it.   It might very well be better in some circumstances.   I'd love to see photo's of your hide able, innocent looking Pi based thing and links to the software you used.   You could disguise your Pi as an electric razor or hide it in the base of the coffee urn or create some fun office gadget such as a potted plant moisture detector - that really is a covert network spying device.  The possibilities are endless but first - you have to do them.

4 hours ago, Struthian said:

One can get or create most of the things found in Squirrel and Rabbit but for a Raspberry Pi.  Certainly the Pi has an ample programming environment and none of this stuff is that hard to conceive.   The problem with the Raspberry Pi or anything more powerful is that it looks like that thing, it's bigger, harder to hide and would attract immediate attention. No?  As for "$5.00" - that's probably about 20x the cost of the processor in the Hak5 products. Add more stuff for a second Ethernet port or whatever, and it's more still.   

If you think the Pi is a better path for your needs, use it.   It might very well be better in some circumstances.   I'd love to see photo's of your hide able, innocent looking Pi based thing and links to the software you used.   You could disguise your Pi as an electric razor or hide it in the base of the coffee urn or create some fun office gadget such as a potted plant moisture detector - that really is a covert network spying device.  The possibilities are endless but first - you have to do them.

Check this one out: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orange-Pi-R1-H2-256MB-Quad-Core-Cortex-A7-Open-source-development-board-beyond-Raspberry-Pi/32827494728.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_4_10152_10151_10065_10344_10068_10345_10342_10343_51102_10340_10341_10609_10541_10084_10083_10307_10301_10303_10610_10312_10313_10059_10314_10534_100031_10604_10603_10103_10605_10594_10107_10142,searchweb201603_12,ppcSwitch_5&algo_expid=0c985c61-133a-4ac5-a908-ba289e69032e-0&algo_pvid=0c985c61-133a-4ac5-a908-ba289e69032e&rmStoreLevelAB=0

Much better in terms of hardware, only downside is no case but that can be 3d printed if you have a 3d printer.

Look at the github, it's as dry as a dessert. But look at the bash bunny which has actually good hardware, it bloomed. Same with wifi pineapple, Nano = trash, Tetra = good.

It's great that it is so small, but you need a usb and a powerbank or charger, will it be as stealthy? It can't decrypt traffic which makes it kinda worthless as a mitm. 

Yes, there are "endless" possibilities what you can do with it, but in the end of the day, it's always limited to the hardware. The nano has the same problem as they share their SoC, as it's simply not powerful enough.

Yes, my dear we all know about Orange Pi, Pi Zero, Banana Pi, Raspberry pi and the all new cluster you never heard of fruit salad pi with jetson tx2.

Absolutely no new information in your post RazerBlade.   I think you missed my point and you still don't have any software.   So back to the jetson tx2 with bayesian analysis and auto-hak exploit generation.  No, I didn't write that and it's not available either.

Let us know when you do something.

12 hours ago, Struthian said:

Yes, my dear we all know about Orange Pi, Pi Zero, Banana Pi, Raspberry pi and the all new cluster you never heard of fruit salad pi with jetson tx2.

Absolutely no new information in your post RazerBlade.   I think you missed my point and you still don't have any software.   So back to the jetson tx2 with bayesian analysis and auto-hak exploit generation.  No, I didn't write that and it's not available either.

Let us know when you do something.

Damn so salty when just pointing out that the amount the charge for a product that can do absolutely nothing is astonishing. Yes, their software is supperior, but what is great software if the hardware is the limiting factor. You can add a two way switch and solder it to the gpio. You can write a script in bash to the exact same thing. Tell me something intresting you can do with the packet squirrel more than capture some packets with tcpdump?

@RazerBlade

As much as your opinion is valuable you again have managed to take over the OP's valid question with your wish for better hardware.

I'm starting to ask myself what do you wish to achieve by doing this? are you trying to push potential community members away from the products? are you trying to apply pressure to hak5 team to produce more powerful products? are you just trolling users? So im just going to ask.

What do you wish to achieve with your persistent hardware bashing here on the forums?

Keep it cool here, guys. Nothing constructive ever came out of virtually bashing each other up.

We all know there are alternatives to most (if not all) of Hak5's stuff, we all know the pros and cons. It's your choice what you pick, so live with it and stop complaining and arguing.

Archived