Canon Connect Station CS100

azzy9

Thanks for the work you do. I and a group of people have this device, bought with an offer. We hardly use it and we are aware of how they improve it. if you can give more details for novices like us that improve edte SO I would appreciate it. Thank you

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Odinex said:

Thanks for the work you do. I and a group of people have this device, bought with an offer. We hardly use it and we are aware of how they improve it. if you can give more details for novices like us that improve edte SO I would appreciate it. Thank you

Hi, I would like to make it easy to test, but I'm afraid I can't...

I'm sure I (we) can help if you try to follow the guide so we can improve it to make it easier on the points you have problems to follow through

Fantastic work Nimrud!

I havent had much time to look into this in recent weeks. The last time I looked at it tho, I was looking into the hardware and stripped the unit down to the bare PCB to try find out a little more about it.

Heres the main PCB for anyone who hasnt seen it bare,  for Full Hi Res images see here and here.

2w6exhk.jpg

CPU (Purple square)

Is an SMP8673 as was found in the CPUinfo file. With further inspection the full model number is SMP8673B00-CBE3 manufactured by sigma designs specially for use in media players, set top boxes and IPTV devices. Full spec sheet here. This appears to be the exact same as the SMP8672 and very similar to the other few chips in the SMP86xx range which is good news as theres plenty of work of others hacking similar devices with these such as the Dune HD STB ranges and some Netgear routers.

Bios/Bootloader (Yellow square)

Is a Nuvoton N79E8432ASG. Full spec sheet here. From looking at it, there appears to be points on rear of the board for reading/flashing the firmware via UART. If we can access this, I suspect we can remove some of the restrictions on the device. Its only a guess, but I reckon it checks the harddrive brand/model no. or serial number on boot and thats why I havent been able to get a cloned drive working. My next step is to try spoof the cloned drive with originals details to confirm this.

JTAG header (Blue square)

Non stuffed points for a JTAG header leading direct into the CPU from what I see. Cant find any pin info online, ive contacted Sigma Designs but theyre yet to get reply. Without it, it wont be much use.

RAM (Red Square)

2 Chips here appear to be RAM. Cant find any info, but not really all that important. From what I see its 1 x 128mb and 1 x 64mb giving a total of 192mb.

ROM (Pink Square)

S34Ml02G100TF100 SLC NAND FLASH, appears to be 1GB from what I can tell. Full spec sheet here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also found a Vietnamese blog that may be useful to us, certainly could have been somewhat useful before we obtained the Kernal anyway! But this guy seems to know a lot, working on a device near identical to the CS100. Use Google Chrome to translate the pages.

Part 0

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

I dont know, but I thought Id share it anyway for anyone more technically minded to have a look.

13 hours ago, Valo88 said:

Fantastic work Nimrud!

I havent had much time to look into this in recent weeks. The last time I looked at it tho, I was looking into the hardware and stripped the unit down to the bare PCB to try find out a little more about it.

Heres the main PCB for anyone who hasnt seen it bare,  for Full Hi Res images see here and here.

2w6exhk.jpg

CPU (Purple square)

Is an SMP8673 as was found in the CPUinfo file. With further inspection the full model number is SMP8673B00-CBE3 manufactured by sigma designs specially for use in media players, set top boxes and IPTV devices. Full spec sheet here. This appears to be the exact same as the SMP8672 and very similar to the other few chips in the SMP86xx range which is good news as theres plenty of work of others hacking similar devices with these such as the Dune HD STB ranges and some Netgear routers.

Bios/Bootloader (Yellow square)

Is a Nuvoton N79E8432ASG. Full spec sheet here. From looking at it, there appears to be points on rear of the board for reading/flashing the firmware via UART. If we can access this, I suspect we can remove some of the restrictions on the device. Its only a guess, but I reckon it checks the harddrive brand/model no. or serial number on boot and thats why I havent been able to get a cloned drive working. My next step is to try spoof the cloned drive with originals details to confirm this.

JTAG header (Blue square)

Non stuffed points for a JTAG header leading direct into the CPU from what I see. Cant find any pin info online, ive contacted Sigma Designs but theyre yet to get reply. Without it, it wont be much use.

RAM (Red Square)

2 Chips here appear to be RAM. Cant find any info, but not really all that important. From what I see its 1 x 128mb and 1 x 64mb giving a total of 192mb.

ROM (Pink Square)

S34Ml02G100TF100 SLC NAND FLASH, appears to be 1GB from what I can tell. Full spec sheet here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also found a Vietnamese blog that may be useful to us, certainly could have been somewhat useful before we obtained the Kernal anyway! But this guy seems to know a lot, working on a device near identical to the CS100. Use Google Chrome to translate the pages.

Part 0

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

I dont know, but I thought Id share it anyway for anyone more technically minded to have a look.

Nice!

I'm wondering... What are the 4 unsoldered points close to the JTAG header?

Besides this...IMHO having the chrooted wheezy provides almost everithing we could need. Upgrading the Kernel would be nice, because some tweaks improves a bit network or fs, but maybe too mutch effort for a limited (but interesting) device. I'm saying this because I'm expecting to have some drivers problems...And hacking the boot process (YAMON) could be difficult too as images can be signed, using a key SigmaDesigns provides to the developpers...

The only big drawback could be the installation process, as you need a bit of knowgdeledge to make it work.

12 hours ago, nimrud said:

The only big drawback could be the installation process, as you need a bit of knowgdeledge to make it work.

Once Telnet is up couldn't the rest be formed into a fire and forget script? (handy if its rebooted) 

35 minutes ago, tarod said:

Hi there everyone. I've successfully managed to work with samba share (but with a very poor performance BTW).

Thing is...how can I mount a folder to access the /dev/sda8 partition from the chrooted one?

Thanks in advance!!

Check the start_chroot.sh script I uploaded a few posts back here...

Samba performance looked good on debian wheeze, but I just tried dd ... No real use

Regarding auto installation, I think it's not ready yet, because once installed how are you going to manage the unit, Shares, users, etc...

Regarding porting software from other sigma chips/vendors...I can't see the point, maybe you can provide an example of use or program you're interested in...

On 2/21/2018 at 9:48 AM, nimrud said:

I'm wondering... What are the 4 unsoldered points close to the JTAG header?

I couldnt follow the traces to anything by eye and I hadnt my multi at hand to test for any continuity points. I'll let you know if I find anything useful.

2 hours ago, nimrud said:

Regarding porting software from other sigma chips/vendors...I can't see the point, maybe you can provide an example of use or program you're interested in...

2 useful ones I can think of, that the CS100 would have enough "oomph" to run would be the Dune HD for its media player capabilities and possibly Netgear router to use as a wireless access point/file sharing server.

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, M4L said:

Hi,
I removed the four screws from the cs100 in the bottom, but the case does not open. Is there a trick or is there more than the four screws?

Hi @M4L, There should only be 4 screws but it is also held in the center of each side by some clips.

This Image should help:

DSC_7183.jpg

(Image from Zom on https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057830759/15?#post-105947297)

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of people reading this thread with great interest.

I'm one of them breaking out of silence to "cheerlead" for a user-friendly streamlined process to the ultimate upcycling of this device, from useful little nas box to openelec build, please don't hold back :)

Bought this box for the price of the HDD, didn't think canon would make such a mess of not being able to manage our files sent to this box other than slice and dicing everything in a totally not usable way other than displaying on TV, thus having to keep a separate drive with the exact same content AND a back on top , really stupid of them.. So shame on them... 

New here. Had this device for months now, unpacked it yesterday only to find out that it won't connect to my network straight out of the box. So looking for CF, to find this topic. Read trough it. Understood what to do, but 1 question I just can't figure out; what can be done with this device after doning all the stuff you did?

What I want to use it for ;

Hook it up to my network
Wake up on LAN connect
Have my Synology NAS copy (not back-up, really copy) new pics from my NAS to this devvice once a week.
Show pics from this device easily on my TV

Hello everybody,
if you read through Amazon reviews on the CS100, then many customers are disappointed with the product.

What do you think when we start a petition to improve the software?

Which function is missing you with the CS100?

I would like to have the following features:
- Extension of the display duration from 1 to 20 seconds in 1 seconds
- Create albums with self-defined names
- Upload and download photos and videos via PC (WLAN, LAN and USB)
- Organize the photos / albums via the app (delete the pictures, rename the photo album, add and remove photos from the album)
- Advanced video support (container, video codec, audio codec)

• 2 weeks later...

Wishful thinking.  Guess you are new with Canon.  This will take the same route as "4K video on consumer/prosumer camera please".  5 Years later, everybody has better offering and only us, poor idiots that invested in expensive lenses, are stuck with sub-par cameras.

On 1/3/2018 at 4:48 PM, azzy9 said:

Hi Nimrud,

I Currently do not have access to the device, will have to do when I get home tonight. But I have the files on a USB So I could look at the files.

Files are on mega:

Hello,
If you could help me, I would be very grateful.
I am new to the forum. I need your help to configure the HDD of a Canon Connect Station CS100 that it has been given without the internal HDD.
I have a new HDD, without formatting, and when I boot it gives me "Error System (0001)", because it,s empty, without the entire structure of files and partitions that the original HDD had.
I have been reading your comments, I think I understood that I have to do six partitions of the GPT type. I have never made partitions in this format, I do not know if they are Primary ... Secondary ... Extended ... I do not know if these partitions should be named with any name when creating them.
When I have the six partitions done, I do not have the files that were included in these partitions.
I have seen the four file links that you have put, and I have downloaded them, thank you very much. If this is all I must insert into the partitions, I just need to know how and where. I understand that there will be partitions that must carry configuration files, and other partitions that are just to store images or videos.
Thanks for your time and your patience.
Regards

Raquel

On 4/26/2018 at 7:50 PM, eiefem said:

Hello,
If you could help me, I would be very grateful.
I am new to the forum. I need your help to configure the HDD of a Canon Connect Station CS100 that it has been given without the internal HDD.
I have a new HDD, without formatting, and when I boot it gives me "Error System (0001)", because it,s empty, without the entire structure of files and partitions that the original HDD had.
I have been reading your comments, I think I understood that I have to do six partitions of the GPT type. I have never made partitions in this format, I do not know if they are Primary ... Secondary ... Extended ... I do not know if these partitions should be named with any name when creating them.
When I have the six partitions done, I do not have the files that were included in these partitions.
I have seen the four file links that you have put, and I have downloaded them, thank you very much. If this is all I must insert into the partitions, I just need to know how and where. I understand that there will be partitions that must carry configuration files, and other partitions that are just to store images or videos.
Thanks for your time and your patience.
Regards

Raquel

Hi eiefem,

Sorry to say I am not aware of anybody who has managed to clone or recover the partitions due to the MTD blocks on the hard drive.

For the partitions though this post gives a better description of the setup:

• 3 weeks later...

I brought a CS100 from DWI which was delivered with power supply. Finally I managed to power it up, it showed "SYSTEM ERROR (0001)", I guess it is the problem of HDD.  So waiting for your update.  Thanks

On 5/21/2018 at 8:29 AM, Wei H said:

I brought a CS100 from DWI which was delivered with power supply. Finally I managed to power it up, it showed "SYSTEM ERROR (0001)", I guess it is the problem of HDD.  So waiting for your update.  Thanks

That would indicate your drive is dead or has been swapped and/or formatted. Theres no way to repair that, in order to clone the drive, you need the original image files. Return it if you can.

I have copied the debian-wheezy to cs100. But unable to chroot

I am getting this error -> 

chroot: failed to run command ‘/bin/bash’: Exec format error

Any help would be appreciated.Stuck on this step.

On 1/24/2018 at 8:10 AM, Valo88 said:

Is there a way to make an Image of the whole drive rather than the 5 individual partitions?

Also, dont suppose has anyone tried replacing the drive with a cleanly wiped drive? Kind of curious to know if it'll rebuild itself or prompt for a firmware file or something on boot up

i successfully managed to replace 1tb hdd with 500gb hdd and fully functioning  

On 5/21/2018 at 12:59 PM, Wei H said:

check for warranty ,if yes contact service center

connect your drive with ubuntu or linux and check for  system partitions  with 1gb,256mb swap,128mb,4gb,4gb,8gb,remaining partitions are present or not

the if u want i can provide the system partition images 

Archived