Canon Connect Station CS100

azzy9

On 1/24/2018 at 2:40 AM, Valo88 said:

Is there a way to make an Image of the whole drive rather than the 5 individual partitions?

Also, dont suppose has anyone tried replacing the drive with a cleanly wiped drive? Kind of curious to know if it'll rebuild itself or prompt for a firmware file or something on boot up

Not sure on the image of the drive & what tools to use.

But after my first post I had experimented with no HDD, a blank HDD and then a HDD that had Linux on it to see how it would react. unfortunately the all just came up with the same error on the screen. something like "Error: 000001" if I remember right.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 23/1/2018 at 9:24 AM, nimrud said:

I found a sigma tangoX kernel tree at https://github.com/mansr/linux-tangox/ but not exactly our kernel version...

The kernel was apparently build for our box with the toolchain https://sourcery.mentor.com/public/gnu_toolchain/mips-linux-gnu/mips-4.4-303-mips-linux-gnu.bin

https://xp-dev.com/sc/35582/88/%2Ftrunk%2Fsmp86xx_toolchain%2F.config

If anyone is interested in download the GPL resources that SigmaDesigns offers to their clients, maybe you can check line 16 on the url I provided...

Also I requested to Canon their GPL/LGPL Source Code...

@Valo88 That's not possible with the current boot procedure. I don't have the details of this processor, but the info I could get about some 'brothers' it looks a bit complicated. The boot procedure is handled by YAMON, the kernels -could be- encrypted with a saved key (inside MTD), the rootfs is on the hardrive...

So, if you want to make 1 partition, first you need to change the boot params and build a valid rootfs...

On 23/1/2018 at 12:52 AM, dmarkey said:

Thanks but I havent figured out how to write them back :( as for DRM i dont think i'll be playing any movies on this

@dmarkey send pictures of the PCB, try to find 4/5 soldering points... 1 of them should be GND, other +3.3V ...

On 30/1/2018 at 10:18 AM, azzy9 said:

Sounds like they are just trying to fob you off :(

I'm trying again more explicitly. I don't have very mutch knowdeledge compiling kernels, maybe someone with more know-how could make it.

As far as I understand, I have the toolchain, the base kernel and the config used (apparently), I think we need the specific patches used to build 'our' kernel...

Dont really have the time now to post everything in detail, but I stripped the unit down to the bare PCB last night and done a lot of research on the hardware and figuring out how it operates. Also found what I think is some very useful info on the software side of things.

Will update with a mega post over the weekend when I get a chance.

58 minutes ago, Valo88 said:

Dont really have the time now to post everything in detail, but I stripped the unit down to the bare PCB last night and done a lot of research on the hardware and figuring out how it operates. Also found what I think is some very useful info on the software side of things.

Will update with a mega post over the weekend when I get a chance.

If you have any info for how reprogram the eeprom or boot from tftp lemme know!

10 hours ago, dmarkey said:

If you have any info for how reprogram the eeprom or boot from tftp lemme know!

If you want to try, you need to attach a serial/jtag to stop -I think hitting "1"- the YAMON boot proccess(similar to uboot), but you'll need to sign the kernel with the vendor 2048 key... you can find some info for another sigma SoC.

If you feel brave enough, you can try to modify yamon from the telnet interface, wich can cause a brick...

mtd_dumpxenv2.bash:

mtd_dumpxenv2.bash | grep tftp
(0x00)    62 y.nwk <6c....> load -b tftp://172.30.2.212/ES5/vmlinux-latest.bin 0x84000000

Maybe you can try to replicate the network resource and see if it tres to load the kernel...

You can also check the scripts you can find: install_update.sh,... to see how it manage the yamon variables...

hi, i had this product since more than a month, and i didn't open it because i wanted to sell it. today i gave up, so i opened and i thought it would be nice to have a nas, but then i saw that it's really limited, and it has a horrible software. i would love to be able to use it as a network hard drive and save some data, but not only pictures. i read the post, and i would like to know if you have founded any way to modify it. thanks 

12 hours ago, Matias said:

hi, i had this product since more than a month, and i didn't open it because i wanted to sell it. today i gave up, so i opened and i thought it would be nice to have a nas, but then i saw that it's really limited, and it has a horrible software. i would love to be able to use it as a network hard drive and save some data, but not only pictures. i read the post, and i would like to know if you have founded any way to modify it. thanks 

1 hour ago, azzy9 said:

hi @Matias,

I don't think anybody has managed to get samba or NFS to work on it yet which would be used to turn it into a NAS.

Sorry to say but I haven't looked at it in a little while since I have been working.

Hi, using samba inside the chrooted debian it's pretty straitforward https://www.unixmen.com/standalone-samba-in-debian-squeeze/

didn't test performance, but it should work...

I edited the post because I did a fast test:

From CS100 to pc
pv < /mnt/canon/dumb > /dev/null 
^C01MiB 0:00:09 [23,1MiB/s] [======>                                                                                                        ]  7% ETA 0:01:49
From PC to CS100
root@pve:~# pv < /dev/zero > /mnt/canon/dumb 
^C31MiB 0:00:15 [14,9MiB/s] 

I don't remember what kind of ethernet cable I'm using, so take it as a test that you can copy to and from the "NAS"...

Also you can install apache+dav for your mobile device (on android there are file managers who support DAV 'filemanager+' or so....). Remember to use a non standard port for compatibility with the current canon firmware...

Regarding NFS you can mount nfs shares on the debian chroot, but we need to make the kernel modules to bring the support for "nfs kernel server"

1 hour ago, nimrud said:

Hi, using samba inside the chrooted debian it's pretty straitforward https://www.unixmen.com/standalone-samba-in-debian-squeeze/

didn't test performance, but it should work...

I edited the post because I did a fast test:

From CS100 to pc
pv < /mnt/canon/dumb > /dev/null 
^C01MiB 0:00:09 [23,1MiB/s] [======>                                                                                                        ]  7% ETA 0:01:49
From PC to CS100
root@pve:~# pv < /dev/zero > /mnt/canon/dumb 
^C31MiB 0:00:15 [14,9MiB/s] 

I don't remember what kind of ethernet cable I'm using, so take it as a test that you can copy to and from the "NAS"...

Also you can install apache+dav for your mobile device (on android there are file managers who support DAV 'filemanager+' or so....). Remember to use a non standard port for compatibility with the current canon firmware...

Regarding NFS you can mount nfs shares on the debian chroot, but we need to make the kernel modules to bring the support for "nfs kernel server"

Okay, but how do I install apache +dev on my android phone? 

23 minutes ago, Matias said:

Okay, but how do I install apache +dev on my android phone? 

No, you need to install apache+dav on your chrooted debian (https://servidordebian.org/es/squeeze/internet/webdav/apache2_davfs), remember to share the same folder as you share on the samba server (if you want to access the same files)

More complex setup is possible, but as a start you can do it with this...

On your phone, there are a lot of DAV clients available, I like "File Manager+" on my android for it's simplicity

So I also asked Canon for the source code and it appears I've had more luck.I'm currently downloading a 580 MB zip file called CS100v2.0.4_OSS.zip.

Any suggestions on where to host it? I presume Dropbox is acceptable?

So having a quick look, the thing I think we will find most useful is the Linux kernel (linux.tar.bz2) source code with all the patches used on it for  sigma & novatec.

Unfortunately there is not much I can do with it. we really need somebody with some kernel experience.

the toolchain application stated in the readme.txt is the one linked in a post above (https://sourcery.mentor.com/GNUToolchain/release1504?cmpid=7108)

Applying the patches to the kernel are a bit tricky.

My journey so far:

decompress sources, decompress kernel source, cd linux-2.6.35

patch -p1 < ../sigma_patches/<patch_name>

in patch_name the order should be:

-first all the named XXXX.<something>

-second all the <non numbers> but "proprietary.2.6.35.patch" wich I can't apply

-third all the 000X-Sigma....

-fourth all the novatec_patches

Now, once installed the toolchain, should provide a compilable kernel... let's see what happens...

5 hours ago, nimrud said:

Applying the patches to the kernel are a bit tricky.

My journey so far:

decompress sources, decompress kernel source, cd linux-2.6.35

patch -p1 < ../sigma_patches/<patch_name>

in patch_name the order should be:

-first all the named XXXX.<something>

-second all the <non numbers> but "proprietary.2.6.35.patch" wich I can't apply

-third all the 000X-Sigma....

-fourth all the novatec_patches

Now, once installed the toolchain, should provide a compilable kernel... let's see what happens...

On the chrooted debian:

Unpack to /lib/modules/2.6.35.9-sigma/extra 

depmod -a

modprobe exportfs

modprobe nfsd

apt-get install nfs-kernel-server 

Ready to share nfs...

nfsd.zip

Any problem, suggestion or comment?

Although probably needs more depuration, does anyone with 2 disks tried to 'flash' the chroot image (remember to copy /lib/modules/*/ to the chrooted image) to the rootfs partition?

If I had 2 cs100 or another 2.5" disk It'll be my next try...

3 hours ago, salopette said:

Hello ,
Have now such a device here!
Could you do a step by step tutorial?

And what works at the moment and what does not work?

greetings from Germany

Andrej

Hi Andrej,

I'm testing a debian wheezy image, I tried samba, nfs (v3), rsync, ssh, ... No problems so far...

I don't have much time to test, but I can prepare a mini tutorial on preparing the debian chroot and some tools...

I'm looking for a site on I can upload all the stuff

Archived