Canon Connect Station CS100

azzy9

On 2/19/2018 at 12:53 PM, nimrud said:

I added the mini-guide to https://github.com/dtrigo/canon-cs100/

But I need to find a place to upload the described file so it can be easy to use...

I could successfully transfer the file debian-wheezy.tar.gz to cs100 via telnet as you mentioned on Github and I could also unzip it there. But for the next commands it's giving me errors.

-bash-3.00# mount -t proc debian-wheezy/proc
mount: can't find debian-wheezy/proc in /etc/fstab
-bash-3.00#  

how to resolve this??

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone,

can anyone here help me with hdd backup partition image of cs100 internal hdd. i have formatted the disk now my player is dead.

Please help upload partition image of disk without ur data,

Thank you in advance.

On 2/2/2018 at 4:43 PM, nimrud said:

If you want to try, you need to attach a serial/jtag to stop -I think hitting "1"- the YAMON boot proccess(similar to uboot), but you'll need to sign the kernel with the vendor 2048 key... you can find some info for another sigma SoC.

If you feel brave enough, you can try to modify yamon from the telnet interface, wich can cause a brick...

mtd_dumpxenv2.bash:

mtd_dumpxenv2.bash | grep tftp
(0x00)    62 y.nwk <6c....> load -b tftp://172.30.2.212/ES5/vmlinux-latest.bin 0x84000000

Maybe you can try to replicate the network resource and see if it tres to load the kernel...

You can also check the scripts you can find: install_update.sh,... to see how it manage the yamon variables...

Hello all,

I got similar board using smp8673 which is bricked, and I need vmlinux-latest.bin file for booting it up. If anyone here has the file, could you please sharing it to me.

Thanks,

• 3 months later...

This may be (almost certainly is) the wrong place but a) this is a connect station query and b) official channels have produced nothing so...

anyone got any idea how to configure a universal remote to talk to this thing?

i have one and a house reorg means I have the disk and power supply but no remote....and I can’t get past the ‘helpful’ message on boot about using an external backup drive....

• 8 months later...

Hi,

I have been using this for a while and stored photos from phones and cameras onto the drive. it wont power up now so I removed the hard dick and attached it to my PC with a sata cable but it doesnt appear in my computer/this PC. I can however see the drive and partitions in disk management and I can see it in device manager so i know the disk if fine but I cant now get the photos off it. Has anybody got any suggestions or Ideas to help?

Thanks

Canon external drive WD10JUCT 1TB.png

Device manager.png

Right click 915.32.png

Right click disk 1.png

1 hour ago, pradeep-india-IN said:

TommyMurf

It is a unix based file system
Try the following free trial tools to read the partitions

1. ext2explore-2.2.71

2. Linux_Reader
https://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

3. Paragon Linux File Systems

4. others - Ext2Mgr / Ext2Fsd-0.69

Thank you, using number 2 above I can see the drives but when I click into any of them there is either an empty folder or else it cant open the disk. 

will these software packs let me copy the video and photo files over to C drive to windows?

2 hours ago, pradeep-india-IN said:

TommyMurf

It is a unix based file system
Try the following free trial tools to read the partitions

1. ext2explore-2.2.71

2. Linux_Reader
https://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

3. Paragon Linux File Systems

4. others - Ext2Mgr / Ext2Fsd-0.69

I have tried using number 3 and was a little bit more successful, I can now see the photos but they are all thumbnail size, when I expand them they are pixelated. would it have used some sort of winzip compression that I now need to reverse?

5 hours ago, TommyMurf said:

I have tried using number 3 and was a little bit more successful, I can now see the photos but they are all thumbnail size, when I expand them they are pixelated. would it have used some sort of winzip compression that I now need to reverse?

There are other file types that look to be the size the photos would be but their file type is "File" any ideas how these could be converted to .jpg or other useful file types?

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm new to this forum, but I read this thread with great interest. I bought my Canon CS100 almost two years ago because of a possible free NAS for the price of the 2,5" hard disk. However due to moving and other projects, this one disappeared from sight.

Because other collected examples -- WD My Cloud, Seagate Personal Cloud and Seagate BlackArmor NAS220 -- are now converted to Debian Buster, I was looking for the next project. Because there are a few great pointers in this thread I decided to hopefully add some things. The first one is finding the serial connection because that was essential in the other projects.

After opening the case and looking on the board I also saw the unpopulated 14 pins (J502?) and 4 pins (J503). The first is almost certain JTAG and the second the serial connection. Let's start with J503 because I haven't used JTAG yet. It has on the left -- heat-sink side up) -- a wider white angle and a square hole. That is pin 1. Pin 4 is GND and on pin 2 I see voltage changes during powering up. It's max is 3,3V and it is almost certain TX.

Next step is soldering a header and see if I can get anything with a USB to UART converter. I don't have much time each day, so the next post could take a few days 🙂.

Sometimes I just want to know if my guess is correct 😏. So I took a 0,8 mm drill to remove the tin and soldered a 0,25" header. I connected pin 3 as RX and used 115.200,8,N,1 and got a bootlog. The harddisk wasn't connected -- I want to create a factory dump because I never turned this device on -- so it panicked and rebooted in the rescue system. An enter gave me a Bash shell, so my guess for the RX is also correct. Here a photo of the serial connection to a CP2102 USB to UART converter. More information (in Dutch, so use Google translate) on my blog.

On 3/19/2021 at 10:31 PM, maintain3r said:

can someone share the disk image of this device

The complete disk is 1 TB and almost impossible toe share. Therefor I started an investigation on being smarter. Some people in this thread say that they have cloned it to a smaller harddisk. However I don't see any procedure. Canon uses a very old DOS partition scheme. It has 3 primary partitions and an extended partition on CHS boundaries. The extended partition contains another four logical ones. The last of these is the data partition and has only a mpeg/DMA/ on it.

So my first plan was using an copy of the first 17 GB. That contains all partition information and a very small part on the last. This is written to a 160 GB harddisk. Then I removed the extended partition to get rid of the wrong ending. Then I recreated it with the new size. After that you can recreate the 5, 6 and 7th partition on the same boundaries as before. And finally create a new data partition which can be formatted and afterwards create the mentioned directory structure.

The problem is that the kernel and programs are very old. So formatting on a up-to-date Linux system can only work if we say it must use the old ways of doing things:

mkfs.ext4 -O ^metadata_csum -U "6e8b8f0f-4eb1-48b2-a024-47effd5ef341" /dev/sdc8

Just to be sure I also gave it the same UUID as before. This works as confirmed through the serial console I soldered in the posts above. So now the 1 TB is a 17 GB file and a not so easy process to recreate it on a new harddisk. The 17 GB can be gzipped to about 9 GB, but that is still a large file to download. I see however possibilities to make it even smaller and hopefully automate the recreation. I do this in spare time, so be patient. If you think you can follow my explanation on my Dutch blog and have a way to receive the 9 GB file, I can help you sooner. But again, you must be very careful to follow the exact procedure, else it won't work...

Withe the above working harddisk, updated to the latest firmware -- v2.5.2 from 29 June 2017 -- and some tricks to make it better compressible I have now a 710 MiB download including checksums and readme.txt on how to create your own harddisk with a capacity starting from 20 GB and larger. I'm not sure what the upper limit is, the software on the Canon is pretty old. So I assume 2 TB or less should work, everything above could be troublesome...

Now that I've created an working procedure and have images for the original version 1.1.2 and the above 2.5.2 this one is going back into the archive. This thread contains not enough information to get a modern Linux distribution running. A Google doesn't give much more information. This thread has by far the most information, but IMHO it is not enough.

It is not clear of the hardly used Yamon bootloader is capable of initializing kernels with a separate .dtb file. If not it is stuck with very old kernels. That was the same problem on a Seagate BlackARmor NAS 220, but there a newer, more modern version of U-Boot was created. With some tricks it could be flashed -- and fingers crossed it didn't become a brick -- and then modern kernels could be used. A week or two ago I got Debian Buster working on this NAS which was introduced late 2009.

For the Canon CS100 something similar is most probably needed. But with hardly any information this will be a very difficult task. I don't say it can't be done, but at this point in time I don't have the knowledge. I'm just learning on equipment like the Seagate how things works by repeating -- and sometimes adding -- what others have done. Someday the Canon will see daylight again and hopefully I then have enough knowledge to prove that old hardware can be updated 😜.

For now I've added the serial connection and I'm pretty sure that the 14 pins pad is JTAG. However that is also something I need to learn. I tried to identify the flash chip to see if that can be flashed with an external programmer. I'm not sure if I've identified the correct chip because this is also something I need to learn.

The next few weeks I will check if somebody has more information or that someone has questions about my contributions. If I don't respond, try to contact me through e-mail. A spam protected version can be found on every page on my blog.

• 2 months later...
On 12/14/2017 at 11:08 PM, azzy9 said:

Hi all,

I found this site a while back while searching for airstash hacking, and found the threads on the successor sandisk 32g.

I bought 2 Canon Connect Station CS100's for really cheap.
But I would like to get more out of it, I bought it thinking maybe I could get root access,
If not, they would still be useful as extremely cheap 1TB 2.5" HDD's

My Journey so far:

First, I ran a port scan.

results here:
https://pastebin.com/u2KgurBx

And saw no useful ports.
I then tried a keyboard in the USB, but would not provide any power to it.
It does access a USB flash drive inserted once (flashes once) on boot, but then after does nothing.
I assume it is looking for a new firmware file.

I then removed the HDD and connected it to my PC running Ubuntu.
The HDD consists of 6 partitions

The first partition has a file list posted here:
https://pastebin.com/m5Z1CRdK

The Linux kernel seems to be: Linux 2.6.35.9-32-sigma

There seems to be no SSH module that I can find and I am not sure on how to get to any terminal.

The firmware seems to be checked / updated by a script with the config in the 5th partition.
File: CMSTAPP.properties
Contains: http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/rmds/ic/connectstation/cs100/firmwareupdate/autoupdateservice_cmst10_urltable.xml
Firmware file: http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/6/0400003256/01/firm_CS100_2.5.2_201705191000.frm

I am not sure where to continue from here.

I would like to install SSH, but with no apparent way to communicate with the device via terminal and with my Linux skills being that of a Noob I would not know where to go now.
Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Update: 06/02/2018

Info:

Cs100's fdisk -l

Cs100's dmesg

Mods:

Enable Telnet

Chroot Debian

External Resources:

Use HDD in other devices (by iintoxxicated @ desidime.com)

Basic Teardown (by zom @ boards.ie)

guide to install new operating system for Canon Connect Station CS100, old hard drive is damaged, thanks

On 6/28/2021 at 11:39 AM, ktvtranvanut said:

guide to install new operating system for Canon Connect Station CS100, old hard drive is damaged, thanks

See the post above where I created a download to transplant the OS on a new drive. The download contains a readme with the procedure. The post you quoted is not about installing an OS, but creating a chrooted Debian. That still uses the kernel provided by Canon and therefor has its limitations...

Nobody has created an alternative OS for this device. It uses an SOC with hardly any information. So I used the harddisk for another project and this device is in its box again waiting for a time I want a real challenge. But that isn't going to happen soon :-).

Archived