Mass Storage Autoplay, invoking a local script

mycpuisnuralnet

I have a digital picture frame project running on 800mhz nano-itx board with 2gb transflash IDE for HD (picture/video index: http://www.tarded.com/DPF/). I have everything working perfectly except I want to add a script/program that is invoked when any mass storage device is plugged in. This script will then change some xml files to make the screen saver start playing the image slide show to that new massive storage device.

I assume this is simple and I have already written my executable to change the xml file, but I just need to invoke it!

Thanks guys,

CPU

Also, I hope you'll post details on how this was all done at some point. :)

I will be posting a detailed documentation on how to get everything running. A lot of people use Laptops. But i did not have access to an old laptop. I would rather use them for hacking. I will post here when I finish, this is for xmas present for my parents so yeah.

Thanks

Also, I hope you'll post details on how this was all done at some point. :)

I will be posting a detailed documentation on how to get everything running. A lot of people use Laptops. But i did not have access to an old laptop. I would rather use them for hacking. I will post here when I finish, this is for xmas present for my parents so yeah.

Thanks

Awesome idea for a christmas present. I wish I could figure out how to make use of old laptop LCDs... I have an (admittedly crappy) LCD screen from an old non-functional laptop that would be nice to do something with.

Awesome idea for a christmas present. I wish I could figure out how to make use of old laptop LCDs... I have an (admittedly crappy) LCD screen from an old non-functional laptop that would be nice to do something with.

Well you can't really use an LCD out of a laptop, the mainboard to drive the matrix display is on the logic board itself so basically you need the whole laptop to get the LCD to even function.. now if you were a very good hardware hacker, maybe you would be able to strip the LCD and run it off another logic board from an old LCD, but that would be very hard. THe LCD I am using is from a 15" panel, that's all.

The nano-itx and 2gb transflash costed me $214, picoPSU was $50 overall this project will cost me $300 which is good for it's functionality.

I have the wireless working, and VNC setup, so my dad can connect to it if something happens remotely for there will be no keyboard.

The nano-itx and 2gb transflash costed me $214, picoPSU was $50 overall this project will cost me $300 which is good for it's functionality.

I have the wireless working, and VNC setup, so my dad can connect to it if something happens remotely for there will be no keyboard.

Where'd you get the parts? Most of the nano-itx boards I've seen are much more than $214.

It's good that you'll have a USB port open, just in case something really breaks, you can plug in a keyboard there...

Where'd you get the parts? Most of the nano-itx boards I've seen are much more than $214.

It's good that you'll have a USB port open, just in case something really breaks, you can plug in a keyboard there...

Yeah i have actually 6USB 2.0 ports, just 2 are onboard. 4 can be located via external wirelinks anywhere on the box, same with the PS/2 ports, can be mounted on the edge of the frame.

Nano-itx are very expensive, but I found a great deal on ebay for this one with the transflash 2gb card too. was pretty lucky.

Yeah i have actually 6USB 2.0 ports, just 2 are onboard. 4 can be located via external wirelinks anywhere on the box, same with the PS/2 ports, can be mounted on the edge of the frame.

Nano-itx are very expensive, but I found a great deal on ebay for this one with the transflash 2gb card too. was pretty lucky.

Very lucky. I'd love to get my hands on some new toys. :)