What Kali tools do you use most often?

lvx

Hey all, just looking to get a good starting point in exploring Kali.  Which tools do you find to be the most useful?  I'll be working my way through some coursework as well, but thought this might be a good way to trim the fat a bit.  The list of tools that gets installed by the katoolin scripts is a little daunting. :)

It all depends what you want to do, are you interested in looking at layer 2 protocols, digging through shellcode or testing web apps?

And don't forget, Kali is just a Linux install with tools preinstalled, just because they are in there doesn't make them good, not being in there doesn't make them bad.

Yeah, that's my issue.  Normally when I create a toolkit I only put in the tools that I use, not a bunch of extra 8MM wrenches of varying quality.  I don't have a specific application for Kali at the moment, just learning.  I installed the tools via the katoolin scripts and now am a little at a loss as to where I should start.  Either way I'll be making my way through the coursework and will likely grab a book or two.  Just figured that people here might have a short list or a few go to tools that could help me separate the wheat from the chaff.  Hell, I'll take a list of crap tools that I should cut too. :)

I tend to use a few things regularly.

nmap, gobuster, nc/ncat/netcat, python and perl for TTY and reverse shells, john for password cracking, occasionally nikto, sqlmap, and hydra

There are some other things here and there, but those are my basic staples, at least when attacking linux boxes. I don't really mess with windows, and in general, if it has an unpatched vuln, just throw metasploit at it, but I try to avoid metasploit at all costs. 1, don't use it enough to be fluid with it, and 2, I'm not learning anything if I can just throw it at something and it falls over.

every once in a while I might check the kali tools list to see what's been added or if im looking to perform a task ill check the list for tools on that subject

https://tools.kali.org/tools-listing

Sorry for the big paste.

Wireless Attacks

Forensics Tools

Edited by i8igmac

every once in a while I might check the kali tools list to see what's been added or if im looking to perform a task ill check the list for tools on that subject

https://tools.kali.org/tools-listing

Sorry for the big paste.

You literally could have just left the link instead of listing every tool(and we aren't always 100% up to date, you can use the [ apt search ] feature to find a lot of things that might already be in there not listed on the site, or just for general purpose linux tools and programs you may need, like say, Chromium vs default FF.

:tongue:

6 hours ago, digip said:

You literally could have just left the link instead of listing every tool(and we aren't always 100% up to date, you can use the [ apt search ] feature to find a lot of things that might already be in there not listed on the site, or just for general purpose linux tools and programs you may need, like say, Chromium vs default FF.

:tongue:

yah sorry lol it needs a spoiler