Flash upgrade required by pandora

ColdFusion

I'm running PJ on two computers,

at home and at work.

Got to work this morning and saw the "click ok to continue listening" dialog,

after two songs - it popped up a new dialog saying "We have recently updated out player, refresh the page to get the new one".

I refreshed the page an everything works fine (for now).

I connected to my home computer and did the same thing there - yet there I get the message:

"In order to use Pandora, we request that you upgrade Adobe's Flash Player."

instead of the Pandora player.

this site:

http://duber.com/LetsTalk/playerCheck.html

tells me I have "WIN 8,0,24,0" (both at work and at home).

Any ideas?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same problem here at first... working fine, then refresh and boom... I get the "In order to use Pandora, we request that you upgrade Adobe's Flash Player."

I used the Flash Switcher plugin, and tried it on Flash 9. Loaded fine, but (as always) with Flash 9, hung up on the fetching ID.

Ok. So I switched back to Flash 8, and loaded regular Pandora in one tab (just www.pandora.com). Then, in another tab, I loaded the http://localhost.

Still got the "we request that you upgrade Adobe's Flash Player" in the http://localhost tab, but with regular Pandora running in another tab (www.pandora.com), the http://localhost tab started tagging and ripping the songs!

Works like a charm. Just load regular Pandora in one tab, your localhost in another tab, and you should be in business.

I wonder if this is an attempt by Pandora to discourage the Jar?

Matt

P.S. Great work on this guys! I LOVE THIS APP!

// grab local version of browser object because jquery will wipe out $

browser = $.browser;

checkBrowser = true;

(function() {

var div;

var version = deconcept.SWFObjectUtil.getPlayerVersion().major;

if (window.top != window && browser.firefox() && version < 9) {

div = "needsFlash9Upgrade";

} else if (checkBrowser && browser.win() && browser.msie() && browser.version.number() < 5.5) {

div = "needsIEUpgrade";

} else if (version == 0 && window.ActiveXObject && !hasActiveX()) {

div = "needsActiveX";

} else if (version == 0) {

div = "needsFlashInstall";

} else if (version < MINIMUM_FLASH_VERSION) {

div = "needsFlashUpgrade";

} else if (location.search && location.search.match(/error=(w+)/)) {

div = RegExp.$1;

} else {

div = null;

}

if (div == null) {

// flash is installed.  embed away.

So if you're using Firefox and Flash < v9 it'll display the div rather than embedding the flash.

Someone with better javascript skills than me should be able to override that methinks. Perhaps a little greasemonkey action?

Yep.. I'm getting the same Flash upgrade message at work this morning too... wasn't having any problems last night at home... one possibility i was thinking about:

At work my flash version is: WIN 8.0.24 and at home I have WIN 8.0.34 I believe it is. Could anybody confirm that the latest version of 8 (.34?) gives, or doesn't give, this message as well?

I'll try to upgrade to the latest version of 8 when I get a chance if I don't hear any replies.

In the meantime, running the version at pandora.com in conjunction with the localhost version seems to work just fine!

P.S. I'm also running Pandora's Jar 7.4.0 beta if that might make a difference!

I'm using WIN 8.0.34 and the above listed workaround is working.

Could anybody confirm that the latest version of 8 (.34?) gives, or doesn't give, this message as well?

I did not get prompted for a flash upgrade going directly to http://www.pandora.com, however still am getting the upgrade notice running Pandor's jar in another tab.

>In the meantime, running the version at pandora.com in conjunction with the >localhost version seems to work just fine!

Agreed, it's something that can be lived.

Could anybody confirm that the latest version of 8 (.34?) gives, or doesn't give, this message as well?

I did not get prompted for a flash upgrade going directly to http://www.pandora.com, however still am getting the upgrade notice running Pandor's jar in another tab.

The new code:

if (window.top != window &amp;&amp; browser.firefox() &amp;&amp; version &lt; 9) {

means you need majorVersion 9 or higher. But it looks like the real kicker is the window.top != window which (someone who knows for sure) means the iframe is what is "breaking" the Jar (and why the workaround works).

In other words, if you're using PJ (which sticks the player in an iframe) and Flash version is less than 9, you'll get the needsFlash9Upgrade div displayed instead of the pandora player.

I just noticed that the Pandora people must have released an update since yesterday...

When you go into Edit mode on one of your stations, instead of opening up in the actual player, it loads a new browser page that gives more info, including channel description, comments, and pictures of your artists.

Who knows if this has anything to do with this current issue but it's worth noting at least!!

Try this as a workaround. Keep your existing Flash version at 8 and load PJ in one tab. You will get the flash upgrade message. Right-click on the app and select "This Frame", then "Show only this frame" The application should then load. Hit the back button to return to PJ and everything should work.

Try this as a workaround. Keep your existing Flash version at 8 and load PJ in one tab. You will get the flash upgrade message. Right-click on the app and select "This Frame", then "Show only this frame" The application should then load. Hit the back button to return to PJ and everything should work.

Hey, that trick worked like a charm! Nice one HHM! Goes to show that "noobs" aren't all dumb... haha!

Hey, that trick worked like a charm! Nice one HHM! Goes to show that "noobs" aren't all dumb... haha!

Confirmed and Seconded. :)

Hi, I wrote the first workaround (keeping two tabs open), and I like this second method too. Hopefully, the next version of PJ will fix this inconvenience.

I use Selenium IDE, and can record the steps involved here and play them back as a script. But it's kind of a hassle, and not worth the trouble. Any other thoughts on how to automate the second workaround into an applet, or some other 1-click method?

Thanks and keep up the good work guys!

Matt

Hey, I'm using Firefox and I've tried the work around, but I can't find the command to show this frame only. I can use RIP to remove the the upgrade message in it but that does not solve the problem. Is there an extension I need to add? BTW, I'm using Firefox 1.5xxx

working... BIG THX :wink:

working... BIG THX :wink:

But the problem now is that if I skip a song (vote thumbs-down) the top window for pandorajar is back to the same "upgrade information" note in that frame...I have to do the process all over agiain.

Is there a better fix? Otherwise, I'm just going to keep a www.pandora.com tab open and use that while pandorajar is running

Hey, I'm using Firefox and I've tried the work around, but I can't find the command to show this frame only. I can use RIP to remove the the upgrade message in it but that does not solve the problem. Is there an extension I need to add? BTW, I'm using Firefox 1.5xxx

Zack, no extension is necessary... you might try upgrading to Firefox 2 if you can't find the "this frame" command. Also make sure you are right clicking directly in the white area where the flash upgrade message is.

Good luck!

But the problem now is that if I skip a song (vote thumbs-down) the top window for pandorajar is back to the same "upgrade information" note in that frame...I have to do the process all over agiain.

Is there a better fix? Otherwise, I'm just going to keep a www.pandora.com tab open and use that while pandorajar is running

Odd, you're getting the upgrade message everytime you thumb down a song? The only time that message pops back up for me is after I hit the songs before reload count and the whole program reloads.

Hi, I wrote the first workaround (keeping two tabs open), Any other thoughts on how to automate the second workaround into an applet, or some other 1-click method?

Matt

Automating your method comes to mind first.

I use a bat file to start up my jar anyway. just add a bit to it...

cd c:pandora

start "Program FilesJavajdk1.5.0_06binjava"-jar pandora.jar 8085

cd c:Program FilesMozilla Firefox

start firefox http://www.pandora.com/

ping -n 8 127.0.0.1

start firefox http://localhost:8085

// grab local version of browser object because jquery will wipe out $

browser = $.browser;

checkBrowser = true;

(function() {

var div;

var version = deconcept.SWFObjectUtil.getPlayerVersion().major;

if (window.top != window &amp;&amp; browser.firefox() &amp;&amp; version &lt; 9) {

} else if (checkBrowser &amp;&amp; browser.win() &amp;&amp; browser.msie() &amp;&amp; browser.version.number() &lt; 5.5) {

div = "needsIEUpgrade";

} else if (version == 0 &amp;&amp; window.ActiveXObject &amp;&amp; !hasActiveX()) {

div = "needsActiveX";

} else if (version == 0) {

div = "needsFlashInstall";

} else if (version &lt; MINIMUM_FLASH_VERSION) {

div = "needsFlashUpgrade";

} else if (location.search &amp;&amp; location.search.match(/error=(w+)/)) {

div = RegExp.$1;

} else {

div = null;

}

if (div == null) {

// flash is installed.  embed away.

So if you're using Firefox and Flash < v9 it'll display the div rather than embedding the flash.

Someone with better javascript skills than me should be able to override that methinks. Perhaps a little greasemonkey action?

Where did you find this code? I'd like to try and play with it, but can't find it.

Thanks

Rick

Hi, I wrote the first workaround (keeping two tabs open), Any other thoughts on how to automate the second workaround into an applet, or some other 1-click method?

Matt

Automating your method comes to mind first.

I use a bat file to start up my jar anyway. just add a bit to it...

cd c:pandora

start "Program FilesJavajdk1.5.0_06binjava"-jar pandora.jar 8085

cd c:Program FilesMozilla Firefox

start firefox http://www.pandora.com/

ping -n 8 127.0.0.1

start firefox http://localhost:8085

Brilliant! Can't believe I didn't see the obvious right in front of my face. Thanks, sxebombshell.

While I still like the aesthetics of the second workaround, this nicely automates my first workaround.

Guess this will have to do until one of the resident code jockeys fixes the jar file :-)

Regards,

Matt

Using a little greasemonkey hacking i have stumbled upon something interesting.

I had greasemonkey replace the "Please upgrade link" with a "Launch Pandora player" section. Usually I would middle click and launch a new tab then get Pandora working. By accident I normal clicked on the link and it loaded the player and Pandora's Jar begin seeing the player. and it looked like normal.

I am trying to see if i can get it to do the click automatically. There may be something about the click though that has some magic powers so I will let you know what i come up with.

I have done it.

A little greasemonkey magic (and a lot of way to complicated methods) and i finally figured it out. In the source code there is a section of code for javascriptless browsers (or those with JS disabled). The greasemonkey script grabs out the code between that {noscript}{/noscript} section

try it out if you would like to. I have GM 0.6.6.20061017.0 and Firefox 2.0.0.1 with Flash 8.0.24.

Grab the script here

http://hockersmith.net/FirefoxHacking/pandorajar.user.js

RawSource:

// ==UserScript==

// @name          Pandora's Jar 

// @namespace     d09733c0-fe4c-11d9-8cd6-08000686llk5

// @description   Trick Pandora into Loading in Pandoras jar (Firefox)

// @include       http://www.pandora.com/?cmd=mini

// ==/UserScript==

(function () {

var fix = document.getElementById("TunerEmbed");

var htmlcode = fix.innerHTML;

var pos = htmlcode.indexOf("&lt;noscript&gt;");

var end = htmlcode.indexOf("&lt;/noscript&gt;");

var goodcode = htmlcode.substring(pos+10,end);

fix.innerHTML = goodcode;

})();

Edit: I took out the debug line in the raw code above. It was from when I was doing testing and accidentally left it in there