Which Language ?

ICA$1396

Python is the most adopted in general.  It has a huge community and is much easier for beginners to learn.

Ruby was made to make programmers happy so it's far more intuitive for writing code that just works.  Metasploit uses Ruby so that's a security advantage to learning that.

If you want to learn a systems language for writing exploits I'd recommend Rust.  It's the lowest level language that won't give you segfaults.  It's made to be as fast as C but without the hassle.  Only thing is it's not a good “first language” and is very syntax heavy at first.  Rust can be integrated with other languages and is probably the first language to have working WebAssembly generated from it.  You can write Rust code and compile it to WebAssembly and that works natively in the web browser.

Of course that depends on what you mean by exploit.  There are systems that try to take advantage of people through the web and most of those are disabled (like Java and Flash) now in browsers, but JavaScript is here to stay.  JavaScript is probably the worst language to learn first as there are many wrong things about the way the language works that can baffle the most well seasoned developers.  Proof: https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talks/wat

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Programming is a lot like a chess game. You start by learning the moves then you work your way into things like openings and concepts like controlling the board and gambits. The into end games .

You can start with a simple language like python, ruby or BASIC, to learn things like syntax and programming logic and work your way into more syntactically complicate languages like C and finally into An assembly language. Some people say you can learn an assembly language like x86 or ARM as a first language and I'm sure some people can but I barely understand it even after working with several other languages.

If there is a college in your area with an instructor willing to teach you take advantage of that. I first taught myself just by downloading an IDE and watching some YouTube tutorials. I could have probably saved a lot of headache by taking some computer science classes if they were available.

On 9/1/2018 at 7:11 AM, vailixi said:

You can start with a simple language like python, ruby or BASIC, to learn things like syntax and programming logic and work your way into more syntactically complicate languages

This was exactly how I started programming, couldn't have wrote it better. :-)

• 3 months later...

Each is basically a major company coding language 

c++ or c#  /windows 

you got python ruby /linux basically same. 

you could even try learning the 

LUA coding language which would be iMAC.  Lots of great hackers use iPhones.

Edited by Bigbiz