Nano on Google Pixel 2

Tech_Terry

Has anyone had been able to get the Nano to work on the Pixel 2? I downloaded the latest Android app on the Pixel 2 XL and flashed the Nano with the latest firmware.

I started the Android Pineapple app on the Pixel 2 XL, attached the Nano by a USB cable and enabled USB tethering, but I never get past "Waiting for connection".

The Nano works attached to my laptop, so I don't think there is a issue with the nano.

Has anyone had success with the Nano on a Pixel 2? 

Thank you for any input or suggestions.

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, cyrus104 said:

I'm in the same boat with a stock Pixel 2 and a Nano.

The phone starts to charge from the Nano but the USB tether option is greyed out and the Pixel doesn't see a device just power.

Thanks

I still haven't had the chance to work on the app / look into what changes need to be made to support the newer Android phones. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/24/2017 at 2:57 PM, Sebkinne said:

I still haven't had the chance to work on the app / look into what changes need to be made to support the newer Android phones. 

Yeah, when will support hit Google Android's flagship phone? :(
I bought it just for my Pixel 2. 
(T.T)

• 5 months later...

Seems like this thread hasn't seen any posts for awhile. Has there been updates that help with the Pixel 2 or has anyone found any ways to get it to work?

The Pixel 2 sees the nano and allows tethering by usb but the pineapple app just spins.

I have Google Pixel 2 and I am using Android Pie. Make sure you are giving the power to the WiFi Pineapple NANO while you are connecting a USB cable to USB Host port. At first I though, I can just straight connect WiFi Pineapple USB connector through USB OTG cable, I was dumb a bit then. Also, you need to disable Android's Exclamation Mark (No Internet) detection in order to be able to connect to the WiFi Pineapple management access point, as the Android blocks network traffic if it can't ping Google servers (if there is no internet connection). To do so, take a look at https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/100657/how-to-disable-captive-portal-detection-how-to-remove-exclamation-mark-on-wi-fi Oh and, if you are stuck at Waiting for WiFi Pineapple to make a connection, make sure to wait until the Pineapple boots as it won't straight away connect, when the light stops blinking, connect the USB cable and follow the app's instructions.

On 8/26/2018 at 11:38 AM, moliata said:

I have Google Pixel 2 and I am using Android Pie. Make sure you are giving the power to the WiFi Pineapple NANO while you are connecting a USB cable to USB Host port. At first I though, I can just straight connect WiFi Pineapple USB connector through USB OTG cable, I was dumb a bit then. Also, you need to disable Android's Exclamation Mark (No Internet) detection in order to be able to connect to the WiFi Pineapple management access point, as the Android blocks network traffic if it can't ping Google servers (if there is no internet connection). To do so, take a look at https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/100657/how-to-disable-captive-portal-detection-how-to-remove-exclamation-mark-on-wi-fi Oh and, if you are stuck at Waiting for WiFi Pineapple to make a connection, make sure to wait until the Pineapple boots as it won't straight away connect, when the light stops blinking, connect the USB cable and follow the app's instructions.

Thanks Mliata! I'll try this.

4 hours ago, moliata said:

Sure, I just missed to say that you also need to turn off your Mobile Data if you are connecting to the WiFi Pineapple Management AP (through WiFi) and not Connector app.

Ah, thanks for that. Rooting the pixel and disabling the exclamation mark has been a hurdle too. 

8 hours ago, moliata said:

Sure, I just missed to say that you also need to turn off your Mobile Data if you are connecting to the WiFi Pineapple Management AP (through WiFi) and not Connector app.

Unless you turn on "simultaneous networks" or whatever it's called in the Developer menu on Android. It's something like "don't turn off data if I'm connected to WiFi" or something..

May work, probably not but might be worth a shot.

43 minutes ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

Unless you turn on "simultaneous networks" or whatever it's called in the Developer menu on Android. It's something like "don't turn off data if I'm connected to WiFi" or something..

Thanks Dav-ee > I turned off "Mobile data always active" that's the closest I could find. Still working on getting this to work.

I'm not 100% familiar with what the app does but can't you just USB tether (with mobile data on) to the Pineapple and get the Pineapple to treat it as it's WAN?

Surely that'd work, as it's just pass-through..

Again, not sure what all the app's features are.

4 hours ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

That's not what I mean, when you connect to the Management AP (...and if it doesn't have internet connectivity, Android tries to ping Google servers). This results in "no response" and so, Android blocks all internet connectivity, including the 172.16.42.1. Disabling the Mobile Data, Google can't ping and see whether the response differs, it then allows internet traffic.

Well, you shouldn't have rooted your phone, it works without it? Disabling the exclamation mark is done using adb. Simply download Android SDK tools, which should have adb tool, connect your phone and type "adb shell", which will start a shell with your phone, then you can type those commands. I mean, I didn't need root for this.

18 hours ago, moliata said:

That's not what I mean, when you connect to the Management AP (...and if it doesn't have internet connectivity, Android tries to ping Google servers). This results in "no response" and so, Android blocks all internet connectivity, including the 172.16.42.1.

172.16.42.1 isn't on the internet side, though.

What you're saying is it blocks all network access if it can't ping Google, which isn't true. I can access my local NAS when I don't have internet access on my Android (OnePlus 5T, latest firmware).

What's this "Management AP" you're talking about? Is it the Pineapple or something else?

..This results in "no response" and so, Android blocks all internet connectivity, including the 172.16.42.1. Disabling the Mobile Data, Google can't ping and see whether the response differs, it then allows internet traffic.

Also, if you've got no internet on your WLAN side then wouldn't it fall back to mobile data?

Well, you shouldn't have rooted your phone, it works without it? Disabling the exclamation mark is done using adb. Simply download Android SDK tools, which should have adb tool, connect your phone and type "adb shell", which will start a shell with your phone, then you can type those commands. I mean, I didn't need root for this.

Maybe he had some other reasons he wanted to root for as well.
Or he simply just didn't know you could do that with adb and thought rooting would be the best option with his current library of knowledge?

On 8/30/2018 at 4:18 AM, Dave-ee Jones said:

172.16.42.1 isn't on the internet side, though.

What you're saying is it blocks all network access if it can't ping Google, which isn't true. I can access my local NAS when I don't have internet access on my Android (OnePlus 5T, latest firmware).

What's this "Management AP" you're talking about? Is it the Pineapple or something else?

Well, this is a Google Pixel thread. ...and Managment AP is WiFi Pineapple's management access point. So you can connect your Android phone to it without using WiFi Pineapple Connector app. It uses 172.16.42.1 address strictly.

Also, if you've got no internet on your WLAN side then wouldn't it fall back to mobile data?

You literally quoted me saying "Disabling the Mobile Data, Google can't ping and see whether the response differs, it then allows network traffic.

Maybe he had some other reasons he wanted to root for as well.
Or he simply just didn't know you could do that with adb and thought rooting would be the best option with his current library of knowledge?

...and where is the problem of me saying that he could have not rooted the phone? Plus, if you look to my given Stack Overflow link the answer specifically said that you can use "adb shell".

On 8/31/2018 at 4:23 PM, moliata said:

You literally quoted me saying "Disabling the Mobile Data, Google can't ping and see whether the response differs, it then allows network traffic.

I'm very confused..

You cannot access the local network when mobile data is on because it obviously is on a different network.

Think of mobile data like a massive WiFi network spread throughout a country by big towers. It's its own network. You, therefore, cannot access another network that's not connected to that network. Your management AP is included in that. If you connect, via WiFi, to your management AP you can then access it's network - provided your mobile data doesn't take precedence as the primary network.

Some Android devices do that, especially if the Android detects that there's no internet connection over the WiFi network.

I don't know why I have to tell you this when you already have it working.

Okay, it seems you have no idea what I mean. I'll try to explain in more simpler words for you. When you have both WiFi and Mobile data enabled and then you connect to the WiFi Pineapple management AP, you are not able to access 172.16.42.1. If you disable mobile data, you then are able to open it. I hope you get it now.

Archived