Wifi Pineapple Nano AC enabled

HeavyVin

So I am looking to get some hak5 gear and am really liking the possibilities that the Nano provides as both a testing tool and as a personal network. I have searched a little on the forums and only found some older threads that mentioned AC support for the Pineapple. Could I use my Alfa AWUS036ACH attached to the Nano to test AC networks? The lab I am building is going to have an AC access point I would like to test. If not then is an AC version of the Pineapple in the works?

• 2 months later...

I was able to get the nano to scan 5ghz frequency once.  It was quite a task.

First I connected a powered usb hub to the pineapple.  This USB hub had an input port that was not powered, but powered all attaching ports.

I connected an ALFA AWUS052NH to the device and it was able to scan A-band 5ghz channels.  It could also see associations.

I would like to find a smaller usb dongle to work like this, but it is a hit or miss buying such a device.  It mainly depends on the chip of the device.

This is what I would like to test, or hear from someone who has tested.  AWUS036EAC

If you find something that works better, please let me know.  Thanks.

Went ahead and bought AWUS036EAC, but it looks to have the same chipset as the post above mentions, RTL8812AU.

I got it working fairly easy in KALI using DKMS to install.  Instructions Here https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8812au

Can't seem to get it working on the Pineapple and not sure where to start.  Is there anyway to build the drivers necessary?  Maybe using a GitHub Clone?

I've spent several hours looking around tonight and gonna give it a rest for a while.  If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

So I looked into this further.  Using dmesg I get the following line when attaching the wifi adapter.

usb 1-1.3: new high-speed USB device number 5 using ehci-platform.

lsusb shows

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:8812 Realtek Semiconductor Corp

So it appears to be at least acknowledging the device at a rudimentary level.  Still no adapter showing under 'ifconfig' or 'iwconfig'

Does this appear to be simply missing the drivers?  I don't mind doing the homework, if someone can help point me in the general direction.

The driver for this card has been requested numerous times, so I feel the community as a whole would be helped by solving this issue.

• 3 years later...
On 2/21/2018 at 7:50 PM, gravityzero said:

The driver for this card has been requested numerous times, so I feel the community as a whole would be helped by solving this issue.

The driver is unstable, and sometimes not very good. This is the fault of Realtek, nobody else. It's packaged in the OpenWRT opkg feeds, so if you are interested in trying it regardless of my warning, nobody is stopping you.

Archived