date and time

birdloft

Just guessing here;

Since there's no real time clock, it gets the time from the network.  For a few minutes at least, the time is going to be wrong.  Though thinking about it, if it's in packet capture mode, it's going to be completely silent on the network, so it might not get any time updates.

Most of our products don't feature a Real-Time-Clock (RTC). While the Bash Bunny features a RTC, it isn't powered when the Bash Bunny is unplugged, so it cannot keep time.

This means that the internal clock resets to January 1970 every time we (re)boot. This will cause all sorts of issues, such as thinking SSL certificates are expired. To prevent this type of issue, we look scan the filesystem for the newest file, grab that timestamp, and set our clock to that.

This means that without an internet connection, we are going to set the time to that of the newest file present. When you have an internet connection, NTP will ensure that the time is kept up-to-date. This will in turn update a file, which will allow us to get "closer" to the real time.

• 5 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

So Sebkinne's saying that the BB's price was pushed up for no real reason - just for a piece of hardware that can't do it's job?

Way to go. :P

Excuse me? I said no such thing. I just explained how the clocks work.

Edit: If you are referring to the fact that I said the Bash Bunny has a RTC on board, it's because it's part of the ARM SoC. We don't include hardware we know we won't use.

36 minutes ago, Sebkinne said:

Excuse me? I said no such thing. I just explained how the clocks work.

Edit: If you are referring to the fact that I said the Bash Bunny has a RTC on board, it's because it's part of the ARM SoC. We don't include hardware we know we won't use.

I was joking, haha.

Man, everyone's so touchy nowadays..is it because they think they're annoyed at their relatives for not getting enough presents for Christmas..?

• 4 months later...

In the Let's Code video, it was mentioned something to the effect that the PS takes the most recent timestamp of files found during boot up.  Any particular file or file location?   My thought is shortly before I go onsite to use the packet squirrel, I would touch a file in whatever location the PS is going to look to for setting its date during boot up.   This would allow me at least have the PCAP files be on the same date.     Most of the places I would be capturing packets are not going to have access to an NTP server

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2018 at 11:30 AM, MTBBill said:

In the Let's Code video, it was mentioned something to the effect that the PS takes the most recent timestamp of files found during boot up.  Any particular file or file location?   My thought is shortly before I go onsite to use the packet squirrel, I would touch a file in whatever location the PS is going to look to for setting its date during boot up.   This would allow me at least have the PCAP files be on the same date.     Most of the places I would be capturing packets are not going to have access to an NTP server

Pretty sure it's any file on the system.  So just plugging in the squirrel for a few minutes that morning should do it.  As long as at that time it can see a time server.

Archived