[RELEASE] Packet Squirrel Firmware v1.2

Sebkinne

FYI this worked with a minor clarification. I had to create the NTFS volume in Linux (I used Gparted in Kali/Debian). Using an NTFS volume created in Windows 10 did not work, the SQUIRREL wouldn't recognize it. Once created in Linux, it worked like a dream.

18 minutes ago, Sebkinne said:

We just released firmware v1.2 for the Packet Squirrel. I have updated the original post with more information.

Access is denied when you try to download the firmware via the post and it is not on the wiki for the PS.

@Sebkinne when using the "reformat_usb" command it creates folders (i.e. switch 1, switch 2).  Will it make a difference that the on PS a switch folder is "switch1" vs the usb which is "switch 1".  Will the space make a difference when the PS reads it?  Also when using "reformat_usb" after it completes and I plug it into my pc, I have to use a root file manager to edit anything on the drive.  Im using Ubunut 17.10.

20 minutes ago, b0N3z said:

@Sebkinne when using the "reformat_usb" command it creates folders (i.e. switch 1, switch 2).  Will it make a difference that the on PS a switch folder is "switch1" vs the usb which is "switch 1".  Will the space make a difference when the PS reads it?

Yes, that's weird - the script doesn't create any folders iirc. I'll double check, but that's odd. 

On the USB drive, you should have a payloads folder, and inside that a switch1, switch2, and switch3 folder. 

Also when using "reformat_usb" after it completes and I plug it into my pc, I have to use a root file manager to edit anything on the drive.  Im using Ubunut 17.10.

The files on it are owned by root. Your OS sees this and requires you to have the same access. This isn't specific to the packet squirrel though. 

3 minutes ago, Sebkinne said:

Yes, that's weird - the script doesn't create any folders iirc. I'll double check, but that's odd. 

On the USB drive, you should have a payloads folder, and inside that a switch1, switch2, and switch3 folder.

you are correct It does not create any folders.  I had created those and then done the reformat_usb command but they did not go away.  I reformatted with my pc to EXT4 and had no problem.

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, chrismusty said:

Considering the instructions say to copy the firmware to a USB, I am assuming that means we cannot update firmware remotely over ethernet.

You absolutely can - just upload the upgrade binary to your /tmp and execute "sysupgrade - not /tmp/upgrade.bin" over ssh. 

As an upgrade wipes out all your configuration though (on device, not USB), you run the risk of it not reconnecting back to you. Properly settings up usb payloads would solve this though. 

Hey thanks for replying and Merry Christmas.

So in the use case where we rely on this to gain access to a device inside a remote network (through openvpn) is it possible can we upgrade the device and keep open vpn settings so it will establish the connection again after upgrade?

Archived