[RELEASE] Packet Squirrel Firmware v1.2

Sebkinne

Heya packet pals - 

Wouldn't ya know it, a dozen days have past since the Packet Squirrel release and we're already dropping new firmware chock full o' features.

What features you might ask?

Nuttin' much...

(Gotta make that pun quota)

Packet Squirrel version 1.1 includes a brand new NETMODE. It's the sheep!!!...
...like Dolly... The sheep that was cloned. Yeah...I know...

NETMODE CLONE does just what you might expect, cloning the MAC address of the target device from the Ethernet In and spoofing it for the LAN on the Ethernet Out ports. To use, just set your payload to NETMODE CLONE and deploy as usual. Once the MAC address is sniffed from the target (IN) it'll be cloned on the LAN (OUT) side.

Super Sneaky Secret Squirrels know the stealth deployment – that is by powering on with only the IN port plugged into the target device (computer, printer, etc). Then once the MAC address has been sniffed the LED flashes white rapidly, indicating that it's safe to plug the rest of the network into the OUT port. It's a one-two punch sure to pass a sniff test or two.

Speaking of sniffing. SQUIRREL! I mean, PACKETS!

USB WiFi cards featuring the RaLink RT3070 and RT5370 chipsets are now supported by the Packet Squirrel for both monitor mode and client mode. Standard configs apply for these NICs.

Speaking of NICs. SQUIRREL! I mean, USB Ethernet Adapters!

CDC_Ether and the ASIX AX88772 are now supported. This means the Packet Squirrel can now be friends with both the Bash Bunny and the USB Ethernet adapters included with the Hak5 Field Kits / Ethernet Essentials Kit.

For the tunneling folks among us, the OpenVPN payload is now portable, so feel free to carry multiple VPN profiles on the various switch folders, each with their own config. Perfect for those of us who tunnel to servers in various legal jurisdictions.

Speaking of tunneling. SQUIRREL! I mean, SSH!

AutoSSH has been replaced by SSHTunnel, a package that does an even better job of maintaining numerous tunnels simultaneously.

And finally, ssh-copy-id and lsusb have been included for convenience.

Phwew!

Installation Instructions:

1. Download the upgrade file. Make sure that the filename is upgrade-version.bin (where version is the firmware version, e.g. 1.1) and check that the SHA-256 sum matches.
  2. Copy the upgrade file to the root of an NTFS or EXT4 formatted USB flash drive. Do not rename, unpack or otherwise alter this file.
  3. Plug the USB drive into the powered-off Packet Squirrel
  4. Flip the Packet Squirrel payload select switch to Arming mode (far right, closest to the USB flash drive)
  5. Power on the Packet Squirrel from a reliable USB power source. This process takes 5-10 minutes and will be indicated by a series of LED lights. Do not power-off or otherwise interrupt the device until the flashing process completes.

LED Upgrade States:

1. Green flashing - booting up
  2. Red/Blue alternating - flashing firmware
  3. Green flashing - rebooting
  4. Blue flashing - upgrade complete, arming mode ready

Changelog v1.2:

• Added crc32c libaries and kernel modules for better mass storage support
  • Added 'empty' to firmware
  • Added shadowsocks client to firmware 

Changelog v1.1:

• Added NETMODE CLONE
  • Added wireless drivers for RT3070 and RT5370
  • Added ASIX AX88772 and CDC-Ethernet drivers
  • Added ssh-copy-id command
  • Added lsusb command
  • Replaced AutoSSH with SSHTunnel
  • The default OpenVPN payload is now portable (can be moved to a different switch positions)

Download:       upgrade-1.2.bin
SHA256Sum:  c1f2cbe2096fd04df3a91721b447573b1005894809592d0a76bf865992d16b7a

I feel like Sebkinne was a tad on the-SQUIRREL!...*phew*-drunken side when he wrote this up.

Trying to find a picture of a squirrel and a bunny almost hugging while watching a sunset or something..Doesn't seem to be one :(

(UP! was a great movie, by the way..)

5 hours ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

I feel like Sebkinne was a tad on the-SQUIRREL!...*phew*-drunken side when he wrote this up.

Trying to find a picture of a squirrel and a bunny almost hugging while watching a sunset or something..Doesn't seem to be one :(

(UP! was a great movie, by the way..)

We wrote the release together, live in a Google doc. To be perfectly honest, I had expected Seb at some point to have jumped in and stopped the shenanigans - but... Here we are!

On a more serious note however, it's awesome firmware so go try it :)

On 1.11.2017 at 2:27 AM, Sebkinne said:

Heya packet pals - 

Wouldn't ya know it, a dozen days have past since the Packet Squirrel release and we're already dropping new firmware chock full o' features.

What features you might ask?

Nuttin' much...

(Gotta make that pun quota)

Packet Squirrel version 1.1 includes a brand new NETMODE. It's the sheep!!!...
...like Dolly... The sheep that was cloned. Yeah...I know...

NETMODE CLONE does just what you might expect, cloning the MAC address of the target device from the Ethernet In and spoofing it for the LAN on the Ethernet Out ports. To use, just set your payload to NETMODE CLONE and deploy as usual. Once the MAC address is sniffed from the target (IN) it'll be cloned on the LAN (OUT) side.

Super Sneaky Secret Squirrels know the stealth deployment – that is by powering on with only the IN port plugged into the target device (computer, printer, etc). Then once the MAC address has been sniffed the LED flashes white rapidly, indicating that it's safe to plug the rest of the network into the OUT port. It's a one-two punch sure to pass a sniff test or two.

Speaking of sniffing. SQUIRREL! I mean, PACKETS!

USB WiFi cards featuring the RaLink RT3070 and RT5370 chipsets are now supported by the Packet Squirrel for both monitor mode and client mode. Standard configs apply for these NICs.

Speaking of NICs. SQUIRREL! I mean, USB Ethernet Adapters!

CDC_Ether and the ASIX AX88772 are now supported. This means the Packet Squirrel can now be friends with both the Bash Bunny and the USB Ethernet adapters included with the Hak5 Field Kits / Ethernet Essentials Kit.

For the tunneling folks among us, the OpenVPN payload is now portable, so feel free to carry multiple VPN profiles on the various switch folders, each with their own config. Perfect for those of us who tunnel to servers in various legal jurisdictions.

Speaking of tunneling. SQUIRREL! I mean, SSH!

AutoSSH has been replaced by SSHTunnel, a package that does an even better job of maintaining numerous tunnels simultaneously.

And finally, ssh-copy-id and lsusb have been included for convenience.

Phwew!

Installation Instructions:

1. Download the upgrade file. Make sure that the filename is upgrade-version.bin (where version is the firmware version, e.g. 1.1) and check that the SHA-256 sum matches.
  2. Copy the upgrade file to the root of an NTFS or EXT4 formatted USB flash drive. Do not rename, unpack or otherwise alter this file.
  3. Plug the USB drive into the powered-off Packet Squirrel
  4. Flip the Packet Squirrel payload select switch to Arming mode (far right, closest to the USB flash drive)
  5. Power on the Packet Squirrel from a reliable USB power source. This process takes 5-10 minutes and will be indicated by a series of LED lights. Do not power-off or otherwise interrupt the device until the flashing process completes.

LED Upgrade States:

1. Green flashing - booting up
  2. Red/Blue alternating - flashing firmware
  3. Green flashing - rebooting
  4. Blue flashing - upgrade complete, arming mode ready

Changelog v1.1:

• Added NETMODE CLONE
  • Added wireless drivers for RT3070 and RT5370
  • Added ASIX AX88772 and CDC-Ethernet drivers
  • Added ssh-copy-id command
  • Added lsusb command
  • Replaced AutoSSH with SSHTunnel
  • The default OpenVPN payload is now portable (can be moved to a different switch positions)

Download:       upgrade-1.1.bin
SHA256Sum:  c229dab9807f3555b22eed28f32e10f762b831bce860e5e097b97c43a43ee323

What's the difference between is CLONE comparable to TRANSPARENT or to BRIDGE?

20 hours ago, Darren Kitchen said:

On a more serious note however, it's awesome firmware so go try it :)

Sure thing! As soon as I get my Packet Squirrel..

12 hours ago, sundhaug92 said:

-snip-

What's the difference between is CLONE comparable to TRANSPARENT or to BRIDGE?

You can find the answer on the documentation page, found here. Also, try not to quote the huge OP next time. Commenting on the OP usually means you're talking about it anyway, so you don't need to quote it (especially if it's HUGE, haha).

14 minutes ago, PixL said:

is hostapd supported or would it function with a scripted client mode to connect to an AP?

Right now, it's client only. 

While I absolutely see a use case for the Squirrel hosting an AP, it may not fit into the firmware. We'll see what we can do. 

8 hours ago, Sebkinne said:

While I absolutely see a use case for the Squirrel hosting an AP, it may not fit into the firmware. We'll see what we can do. 

Sounds good. Connecting to or hosting an AP sounds ideal for something like the PS. And then you can do things like bridging from another AP (potentially), or making an AP using the Squirrel's NAT network type.

4 hours ago, Skiddie said:

Does the squirrel have issues getting the update files over USB 3.0 ? Seems not to trigger the update, USB stick is working, formatted correctly and the .bin name is correct

Suggestions? 

Some people have had problems formatting the usb and the PS not reading correctly.  SSH in and do "$ df -h" and see if it even shows /dev/sda1 which would be your usb stick.  If not, run "$ reformat_usb" and go through the instructions and then try.  I have noticed that after I do that command and use the USB on my linux box (mint18.3), I have to run as root to make changes to the USB disk.  

Dont drink and root lol

On 11/5/2017 at 8:14 PM, Sebkinne said:

@Sebkinne do we need hostapd or wpa_supplicant to connect to encrypted AP's? Im getting stuck somewhere trying client mode and im seeing this in logread

daemon.notice netifd: radio0 (1326): cat: can't open '/var/run/wpa_supplicant-wlan1.pid': No such file or directory

16 hours ago, Just_a_User said:

@Sebkinneim getting stuck somewhere trying client mode and im seeing this in logread

daemon.notice netifd: radio0 (1326): cat: can't open '/var/run/wpa_supplicant-wlan1.pid': No such file or directory

Just out of curiosity, does '/var/run/WPA_supplicant-wlan0.pid' exist?

12 hours ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

Just out of curiosity, does '/var/run/WPA_supplicant-wlan0.pid' exist?

root@squirrel:/tmp/run# ls
atd.pid              fw3.state            ubus.sock
config.md5           hostapd              udhcpc-eth1.pid
dnsmasq              hostapd-phy1.conf    wifi-phy1.pid
dnsmasq.br-lan.dhcp  ntpd.pid
dnsmasq.eth0.dhcp    sshd.pid

I have installed hostapd but everything else is original. I looked for an openwrt wpa supplicant package but don't find one, yet.

11 hours ago, RazerBlade said:

Elaborate? Is a new pineapple device coming?

No. Just new look logo/stickers for the family. 

One of my Packet Squirrel ones was taken by my friend's daughter (she loved the purple - heaven help us if she ever meets Snubbs) :)

He brother took the Pineapple sticker. 

Their mum took the Rubber Ducky sticker. 

I am so glad I bought extra. 

Archived