Hardware specs

Didier Stevens

53 minutes ago, RazerBlade said:

Can someone try running a benchmark, like 

time $(i=0; while (( i < 9999999 )); do (( i ++ )); done)

Also I assume it is using USB 2.0 and that is a shame

I tried, and it threw a usage error. Worked fine on a rpi, but couldn't get it to run on the squirrel. Dunno what about the syntax is wrong for this device. https://pastebin.com/PPF4k3pA

Hmm... I am a little disappointed with the Packet Squirrel in terms of choice of CPU as it appears to use the same one as the WiFi pineapple nano. My main critisim with the WiFi pineapple was the CPU was way to weak to run any meaningful tools like bettercap on it. I hope the packet squirrel doesn't face the same faith.

I am wondering if you could just take a Pi 3 for instance and then solder on a second Ethernet Switch on of the USB slots, or the GPIO and then make the switch of the GPIO. It will be bigger and draw more power but maybe even cheaper. The squirrel has no storage so USB is mandatory as I have understood, so using the micro sd card slot has no disadvantages, 

2 hours ago, RazerBlade said:

Damn! Wifi, gpio to build the switches, compact square format, micro sd card and more mem. Could be great to port Packet Squirrel do that one! Orded one on Ali.

Not sure what should be ported. You ordered an ARM device capable of running a full fleged Linux distro. 

Use the packet manager to add the tools you need, prepare a setup script and ad it to a systemd service to run on boot ... done. Most of the cheap single board computers available today could do the job.

41 minutes ago, mame82 said:

Not sure what should be ported. You ordered an ARM device capable of running a full fleged Linux distro. 

Use the packet manager to add the tools you need, prepare a setup script and ad it to a systemd service to run on boot ... done. Most of the cheap single board computers available today could do the job.

MIPS actually

Here's the official specs:

• Atheros AR9331 SoC at 400 MHz MIPS
  • 16 MB Onboard Flash
  • 64 MB DDR2 RAM
  • 2x 10/100 Ethernet Port
  • USB 2.0 Host Port
  • 4-way payload select switch
  • RGB Indicator LED
  • Scriptable Push-Button
  • Power: USB 5V 120mA average draw
  • Dimensions: 50 x 39 x 16 mm