"Unable to Join Wireless Network" created by PineAP

Alissa Knight

All,

Newly deployed Nano. Just configured PineAP per the YouTube instructional video.

When trying to join the wireless network from a Macbook and also tried on my iPhone, I don't see any client connects and the connection to the wireless network I created fails.

I specified an SSID in the pool. I see the SSID being broadcasted and I have all options checked in PineAP.

I'm not seeing the connection attempt and the connection attempt is failing. Can anyone assist?

26 minutes ago, Alissa Knight said:

Can anyone assist?

Hi, does your Nano have internet? some clients check for internet connectivity and if not found they jump off and back to data/other wifi networks.

Are you seeing anything in logs? probes and/or associations?

Just now, Alissa Knight said:

Yes

A device connected to a wpa2 encrypted network will usually treat a spoofed network using the same name but with open encryption as an unknown or new network. In the instructional video you will notice the attack is made against an open network not a wpa2 encrypted one.

If you were to turn your router off so your devices were not connected, And had open networks in your devices known networks lists they would beacon those and usually connect to the pineapple. However like i mentioned earlier some phones will look for internet immediately and if not found will jump back to data or disconnect. I don't have apple stuff to test with yet so don't know for sure how they behave.

@Just_a_User Let me clarify. I have a pool of SSIDs that I've specified in the PineAP settings. Those SSIDs do not match any of my legitimate wireless access point SSIDs.

Furthermore, I don't know if this matters, but my Pineapple Nano is connected to a USB-C dongle running on Kali 2.0. The Pineapple does have internet access. Recon works fine. The log file is showing probe requests from my different devices.

3 minutes ago, Alissa Knight said:

Those SSIDs do not match any of my legitimate wireless access point SSIDs.

Then why spoof them? you may as well turn off broadcast SSID pool in the options and just use broadcast response.

5 minutes ago, Alissa Knight said:

The log file is showing probe requests from my different devices.

But while they have an established WPA2 connection they probably wont change networks.

To test, add open networks to your devices and either "forget" your wpa2 networks or turn off your router. they should then be looking for a network and the pineapple will respond and usually clients will join the networks requested.

48 minutes ago, Just_a_User said:

On the PineAP screen do you have "allow associations" box checked? if so maybe try a reboot and try again.

I can't upload anymore screenshots. I took a screenshot of each page, can I email you them?

Another question: My Pineapple doesn't have an SD card in it, does that matter?

2 minutes ago, Alissa Knight said:

can't upload anymore screenshots. I took a screenshot of each page, can I email you them?

you can message me direct through the forums or use a service like  https://unsee.cc/

4 minutes ago, Alissa Knight said:

Another question: My Pineapple doesn't have an SD card in it, does that matter?

Yes, there isnt much spare room on the nano, I never operate mine without an SD card. I would get one in it asap - make sure you format it using the pineapple interface (advanced, USB). Maybe even do a factory reset to get you back to a fresh pineapple..

5 minutes ago, Just_a_User said:

you can message me direct through the forums or use a service like  https://unsee.cc/

Yes, there isnt much spare room on the nano, I never operate mine without an SD card. I would get one in it asap - make sure you format it using the pineapple interface (advanced, USB). Maybe even do a factory reset to get you back to a fresh pineapple..

Okay, I will go buy one and see if that is the issue (odd that it wouldnt allow me to connect to it just because there is no SD card though).

Question: Is there a way to turn on verbose/debug logging on PineAP so I can see why PineAP is declining the connection attempts? i need an error message or something to help me figure out what the heck is going on here.

1 minute ago, Alissa Knight said:

(odd that it wouldnt allow me to connect to it just because there is no SD card though)

when things get full and theres no free space to expand files, logs etc things start acting up. it may not be directly effected but indirectly.either way best to get a sd in it,

6 minutes ago, Alissa Knight said:

Question: Is there a way to turn on verbose/debug logging on PineAP so I can see why PineAP is declining the connection attempts? i need an error message or something to help me figure out what the heck is going on here.

There is a pineap.log in the /tmp directory if you ssh int othe pineapple. Im not sure your going to get logs as to why your laptop isnt connecting, i would think those logs would be on the laptop itself.

Thanks to everyone who helped me resolve this issue.

(1) I installed an SSD card

(2) After installing the SSD card, it still was not working

(3) I did a factory reset on the WIFI Nano with the SSD card installed

(4) I was then able to associate to the PineAP SSID I created

The only thing I can think of is that the Nano got hosed somehow/somewhere along the way by there not being an SSD installed on it. I did install a bunch of modules before installing the SSD onto the internal memory. Perhaps that maxed out the space and the Nano simply stopped working? Who knows, it's working now. 

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived