When all else fails

careless223

So I updated windows and it asked me to reboot.

-It then said that NTDLR was missing.

-I booted into the recovery console from an XP disk and used the command chkdsk /p to check for my disks and locate errors. That failed to I used -BOOTCFG /scan to scan for my partitions and repair the boot.ini. It found no windows partitions either time.

-I restarted and booted into the CD again but this time choosing to install windows.

-At the partition manager screen I see my 3 disks and all my partitions and they all say "unknown partition" except for one which is labeled as "my stuff"

-All the disks are the same size even though I have a 150 gig and 2 300 gig disks

-All the partitions are there but they are all the same size and show the same amount of free space

-I tried booting from a live cd but it failed. That included Knoppix, Morphix, Ubuntu, Mandriva, and Knoppix STD.

So my question here is what the fuck happened and how do I get my shit back without breaking anything or loosing any thing.

My system specs.

-Asus P5B-E

-Intel Core 2 Duo E6400

-1 gig Corsair (2 x 512)

What happened: Windows broke it's self

How did this happen: you where using windows, you should know better (;))

Have you tried manually mounting the partitions? You say "I tried booting from a live cd but it failed. That included Knoppix, Morphix, Ubuntu, Mandriva, and Knoppix STD." but wtf does that mean?

It means that Linux would not boot because it could not find the Linux partition on the CD for some reason. My guess is that Core 2 is not supported yet. Mounting the partitions is out of the question with the very limited shell that it dropped me into.

The only reason that I am using Windows on that machine is because it is my gaming rig. I have other computers that I work on and they all run a flavor of Linux.

Not only did windows break itself but it also managed to break itself across 3 disks and 5 partitions.

It means that Linux would not boot because it could not find the Linux partition on the CD for some reason. My guess is that Core 2 is not supported yet. Mounting the partitions is out of the question with the very limited shell that it dropped me into.

I still don't see why it's falling down. My guess is you have damaged cables (or at least data is been lost in transmission).

See thats what I thought at first. So I whipped out my spares which are brand new fresh out of a hermatically sealed bag.

Sticking a drive in another box which runs Linux does not work either. It won't mount the partitions. That was using Mandriva and Knoppix. manually mounting them fails too.

Yea. It is sitting next to my Tesla Coil. I use it to fry CDs.

lol, I had to ask. One time I this guy called me and said his programs kept crashing and windows kept locking up. Turned out he was running the computer right next to a 2KW amplifier which was corrupting data as it moved between the HD and the motherboard. It also had a strange RAM issues... where the BIOS would warn about a RAM miss count or some thing like that, it was a simple matter of disabling quick boot in the BIOS, I can only guess that problem was also caused by the amplifier.