First Post - Wifi Pineapple Nano And Wifi

CeriousCat

HI all. 

My first post here. I bought a Wifi Pineapple Nano (tactical edition) yesterday. I have not received it yet, but I've got a question about wifi.

Since I did not buy the "Elite" edition, since it has been withdrawn from the site, there is no Ralink wifi usb module with the device. This means you have to tether the Pineapple to my phone via Usb or Wifi.

But wouldnt it be perfectly possible for the pineapple to connect to a mobile broadband hotspot instead of using my cellular data on my phone? Its a TP-link Mifi device and since I have a simcard with a dataplan of 100Gb pr. month, it would be a perfect match.

But is it possible? 

Thanks in advance

- CC

Just now, Just_a_User said:

Yes, theres many types and models. some work better than others. Have a read of this post or search the forums for more

Thanks for the reply.. I see now that my post might not have been a 100% clear. I dont have a usb modem and want to connect that to the pineapple. I'm getting the TP-Link M7350 (link: http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/cat-4692_M7350.html) which creates a Wifi hotspot for others to log on.. Reading this now, it might be a stupid question as it should be able to log on.. Just don't know how the pineapple can get access to it. Any thoughts?

1 minute ago, CeriousCat said:

Just don't know how the pineapple can get access to it. Any thoughts?

Some but not all of those type devices have/allow USB tethering. Without going through the manual or having one in front of me I cant tell for sure. If it does it may be possible to use that for Internet access like you would a phone.

If it cant do USB tethering then you could use the pineapples wlan1 in client mode to connect to your mobile hotspot.  However this will limit the pineapples PineAP functionality so I would spend the bucks for the 3rd radio USB dongle then use that (wlan2) in client mode to connect to your hotspot.

1 minute ago, Just_a_User said:

Some but not all of those type devices have/allow USB tethering. Without going through the manual or having one in front of me I cant tell for sure. If it does it may be possible to use that for Internet access like you would a phone.

If it cant do USB tethering then you could use the pineapples wlan1 in client mode to connect to your mobile hotspot.  However this will limit the pineapples PineAP functionality so I would spend the bucks for the 3rd radio USB dongle then use that (wlan2) in client mode to connect to your hotspot.

Okay thanks.. how does it limit funtionallity by using wlan1? Are there any specific wifi radios to choose for the pineapple if I end up buying one? Is the pineapple picky like Kali, and it has to be a Ralink or atheros?

5 minutes ago, CeriousCat said:

how does it limit funtionallity by using wlan1?

The pineapple is using both wlan0 and wlan1 when obtaining clients. If you tie one of them up providing Internet it cant do that. Wlan1 in client mode however is very useful for getting connected to the pineapple online for updates, downloading modules etc.

19 minutes ago, CeriousCat said:

Are there any specific wifi radios to choose for the pineapple if I end up buying one? Is the pineapple picky like Kali, and it has to be a Ralink or atheros?

I think I use a Ralink 5370 in my nano but I cant remember exactly. The pineapple uses Atheros AR9331 (wlan0) + Atheros AR9271 (wlan1)

26 minutes ago, Just_a_User said:

The pineapple is using both wlan0 and wlan1 when obtaining clients. If you tie one of them up providing Internet it cant do that. Wlan1 in client mode however is very useful for getting connected to the pineapple online for updates, downloading modules etc.

I think I use a Ralink 5370 in my nano but I cant remember exactly. The pineapple uses Atheros AR9331 (wlan0) + Atheros AR9271 (wlan1)

Thanks again.. So in conclusion, is usb tethering actually the most optimal solution? If I buy an atheros usb wifi radio, it would still tie one of the wlans up right?

On 8/10/2017 at 12:35 AM, Just_a_User said:

So I've bought and received the pineapple and ordered a ra link dongle. I still don't know how I would connect the WiFi pineapple to my WiFi after inserting the dongle. How did you do it?

2 hours ago, CeriousCat said:

How did you do it?

There is a page for Networking on the pineapple interface, On it is a section saying client mode. When the dongle is plugged in to the pineapple and correct drivers are present you should have a wlan2 appear in the interfaces. Select wlan2 from the drop down, hit the scan button, select your wifi SSID, enter its password then connect. Wait for an IP. Once you have an IP test internet by going to the pineapples home page and hitting the Load bulletins button or try downloading modules etc.

https://wifipineapple.github.io/wifipineapple-wiki//#!connectivity.md

Edited by Just_a_User