The Nano Truth

Hacker77

I spent by far more time trying to get the nano connected to INTERNET than anything else.  Some times it works , most of the time it does not.   It wont work on windows, than I boot into Linux. I follow every tutorial.  different setups..  75% of post about the nano is connection problems.  I get 10 times the Wifi traffic info with bettercap. The post on here that tell the truth about how bad the nano sucks must get deleted. I'm throwing mine away. I know I sound like a hater,  but every time I have to F with it  just for a basic connection. getting the modules to work for more than a few seconds is a myth. maybe the modules would work in a area that never heard of chrome, or firefox with all there anti nano security. there is not 1 current success post about how good the nano is works. there might be a few videos showing pineapple working, but there from 2012-2013 or before. where are the 2016-17 videos at? if there is any someone setup everything to make sure it works. meaning the computer that it is capturing data from is not setup with basic out of the box browser security. Tetra might be great.  If I am wrong, than why do the other post by other users  from this forum support exactly what I am saying?

2 hours ago, Hacker77 said:

The post on here that tell the truth about how bad the nano sucks must get deleted

Pretty sure no negative posts are deleted, there just aren't as many as you believe. There are quite a few people having success with Nano's.

I have both a Nano and Tetra and both work well for me. Both get online using USB Ethernet, wifi or 3G, both get my targeted clients, both obtain the information I need discreetly without using a laptop. Both run from a battery for hours. Both can be hidden in luggage or in the Nano's case pockets.

Understanding the devices and modules limitations and then working with them rather against them helps. Don't throw them away, send em to me :) All joking aside, what is it exactly that you wish to achieve with your Nano's? I get the impression your blaming the existence of HSTS on the Nano not performing, maybe I'm wrong. Give us more information and maybe someone can help you.

I'm very sorry to hear that you aren't enjoying your WiFi Pineapple, but I assure you that 'unpopular opinions' or posts critical of any product Hak5 sell are not deleted or otherwise censored on this forum. There are plenty of videos on YouTube of people using the pineapple's in 2016-2017, as I occasionally search them to see if anyone has posted new stuff.

I have never had a problem configuring internet connection sharing on linux, and I have had one problem on windows when I failed to set the gateway properly (ie, not a pineapple issue, but instead a user issue). My hunch is that your connection manager (Such as NetworkManager on linux) is playing with your connection settings after configuring ICS. Establishing your internet connections and then stopping the NetworkManager service is the way to solve that. (Again, not a WiFi Pineapple issue).

My devices work excellently well and I have confidence that I could walk through the Hak5 warehouse and pick any device I want and not have the issues you describe. I hope you find solutions to the problems you have and in turn start to enjoy your product.

I'm sure over time there will be videos on youtube about it.

I just got my Nano last night, So freaking excited my girlfriend looked at my like I was crazy. I told her you wouldn't understand. (hahaha)  

Anyways...is there a broken down description about the Networking module?

I am sorry you are having a hard time with the nano.

I would say give it another go.  I have not used the Nano on Windows but figure ICS should be similar to the BashBunny and most of the issues I seen cropping up about it has been related to Windows firewall.  I would give it another go for ICS but turn off your firewall.

Window is a fickle beast when it comes to advanced network stuff.  It doesn't even NAT without third party software.

If using from Linux and having ICS issues.  One thing I would do is always ensure your wp6 script is referencing the correct interfaces.  If you setup the script at home using your wifi or home network, it will save the gateway for there.  If you go someplace else where the gateway and subnet is different, the configuration will need to be resetup to have the new gateway.  Also, make sure your default policies are not dropping everything but accepting all.  Ensure ip_forwarding is enabled after running the wp6 script too.  So far I only had 1 issue with ICS but that was because my own firewall settings were messing it up.  Besides that, it has worked with my laptop and my android without fail.  Got it working through my Pi 3 too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Ive tried again and again to make the wifi pineapple work. It can BARELY get on the internet with it, whenever i do get it on the internet the modules barely work. no SD card works with it. Im unable to do ANYTHING with it. its a complete waste. It has good promise but as far as being a actual tool i could use in any field related activity is impossible. I would have to mess with it for 2-3 hours plus for it to be operable for 35 min (none of the modules work they always say some sort of error), then offline it goes again. Its not my connection this happens where ever i tried it.  Either this is a defective product of you need super high level skill in order for this device to work, (im no slouch in cyber security but this device makes me think re think everything.) 

I 1000% agree with Hacker77, my teacher purchased one and he could not get it to work at all and he HAS A MASTER DEGREE IN CYBER SECURITY. This item needs improvement or need to be recalled. 

2 hours ago, WiseGold said:

Ive tried again and again to make the wifi pineapple work. It can BARELY get on the internet with it, whenever i do get it on the internet the modules barely work. no SD card works with it. Im unable to do ANYTHING with it. its a complete waste. It has good promise but as far as being a actual tool i could use in any field related activity is impossible. I would have to mess with it for 2-3 hours plus for it to be operable for 35 min (none of the modules work they always say some sort of error), then offline it goes again. Its not my connection this happens where ever i tried it.  Either this is a defective product of you need super high level skill in order for this device to work, (im no slouch in cyber security but this device makes me think re think everything.) 

I 1000% agree with Hacker77, my teacher purchased one and he could not get it to work at all and he HAS A MASTER DEGREE IN CYBER SECURITY. This item needs improvement or need to be recalled. 

Thanks for the post dude

Can I have it?  I've always wanted a nano but refuse to buy one.  I have a Mark V and was quite saddened / confused when it because a hated product by the developers.  It seems to have gained a little love more recently but with my luck if I were to purchase a nano they'd start ignoring it as well.  I may have to dust off the Mark V one of these days and give it a go again.

On a side note with the love / hate of these products...  I do love how new forum users will ask questions on the ducky or bunny and I'm able to dust mine off and pick up right where I left off with them.  Ducky, bunny, and turtle are all A+ products.  I absolutely love playing with them.  Packet squirrel could have been great but missed it's mark and never really took off.  Just my opinion.  Sorry to hijack this thread but back on point I am interested in one if anyone has one to spare or Hak5 wants to give me one to test.  😁

On 9/8/2019 at 11:33 AM, Bob123 said:

...I have a Mark V and was quite saddened / confused when it because a hated product by the developers....😁

A bit off topic, but I'm curious as to why you think it became a hated product by the developers? It simply got EOLd, it's part of every product life span.

I get that but I guess what confuses me are two things; 1 is the wifi pineapple is the only device sold by hak5 that has ever been EOLd.  And 2 (and I really don't want to upset you) but a true hacker would use every tool they own.  And if a tool is EOLd then they'll be crafty enough to find a way to continue to use it.  I find it very hard to believe and sad that Hak5 just assumes we should all throw them away because they are EOLd.  I have routers that are EOLd that I specifically hold onto because of the holes in their firmware.  I hold onto a hub that someone else threw in the garbage because it's perfect for wiretapping a network.  So I'm sorry but EOL doesn't compute with me.  Not in the computer world and definitely not in the hacker world.  I will say though that I am glad to see that others have continued to work on the mark V.

12 hours ago, Bob123 said:

I get that but I guess what confuses me are two things; 1 is the wifi pineapple is the only device sold by hak5 that has ever been EOLd.  And 2 (and I really don't want to upset you) but a true hacker would use every tool they own.  And if a tool is EOLd then they'll be crafty enough to find a way to continue to use it.  I find it very hard to believe and sad that Hak5 just assumes we should all throw them away because they are EOLd.  I have routers that are EOLd that I specifically hold onto because of the holes in their firmware.  I hold onto a hub that someone else threw in the garbage because it's perfect for wiretapping a network.  So I'm sorry but EOL doesn't compute with me.  Not in the computer world and definitely not in the hacker world.  I will say though that I am glad to see that others have continued to work on the mark V.

Say the system on the chip gets end of life by the manufacturer; can you still make the product?

Nope..

I get that.  But what do you do with the existing products out there?  Are you supposed to throw them away?  If the answer is yes then I feel bad for you but at the same time I understand that the rest of the population thinks the same as you.  I on the other hand would rather keep it and make it better or....HACK it.

What is the actual usage of the nano board. Like in reallife. Like a sdr dongle is that and a wifi dongle so wtf was a nano?

9 minutes ago, Bob123 said:

I get that.  But what do you do with the existing products out there?  Are you supposed to throw them away?  If the answer is yes then I feel bad for you but at the same time I understand that the rest of the population thinks the same as you.  I on the other hand would rather keep it and make it better or....HACK it.

I can almost see where you're coming from, but as Jtyle pointed out; components in the Mark V were marked EOL by the Manufacturer, and production of said components were stopped. It then becomes very difficult to then provide support and software updates for old hardware, in addition to new hardware. We are not a big team of developers by any stretch.

We haven't done anything to deprecate the Mark V other than stop producing the device, and stop providing support/updates for the device, which is a very typical thing. I wish we could support all the devices, back to the Mark I, but it just isn't feasible to do.

By all means, do not throw away your older Pineapples just because they are EOL'd, I still have mine too. But understand that the Mark V had a good lifespan and received plenty of updates throughout it before we moved on to newer hardware.

Thank you Foxtrot that is a very good reply.  It helps shine the light on what Jtyle6 said which I did not consider.  I knew there was something with one of the radios on the Mark V but guess I never thought of EOL.  So I do apologize for my remarks above and I now have a much better understanding on why the Mark V had to be retired.  I will absolutely hold onto it with the plan to dust it off and play with it again sometime.  I think / hope I've said it a few times on here but the Bash Bunny, Rubber Ducky, and Lan Turtle are home runs!  They are a blast to learn from. 

On 9/8/2019 at 1:46 AM, WiseGold said:

I'm not going to say the devices are PERFECT by any means as most everything always could use some improvement. But I think most users in your situation have these issues due to not understanding the devices operation.  It is VERY important to follow exactly how the docs say to do things or you can cause serious issues from the start.  Some of the Hak5 devices are very sensitive about configurations, updating, etc.  The devices are made for specific purpose and specific groups of users.  They are not as some people believe "toys" for just anyone to "play" with.  

The best thing to do is just ask here for help.  Several users are more than willing to offer help if you post good info as to your issue.  If you fail to read the docs and initial setup info anyone of any skill level will probably have some issues...

1 hour ago, Bob123 said:

Keep them! Just like other devices, just because there is no new updates doesn't mean they are worthless.  

Agreed.  Keep it, hack it, improve it.  

Sort of agree with OP and sad that I bought the tetra because of the sale right after the nano. Same problems tried a million times with linux windows and android. Android worked for a little bit but.. eventually HTTP error. Modules wont install dependancies with new firmware sslstrip no longer.. have to serial or ssh and manually do it. Still have errors. Ive hacked 0 people with my pineapples. Ive hacked my entire college classroom (LMS user passwords and a couple emails) with ettercap, and that was 12 years ago (Ive had my pineapples for 2.5 years.).

Hey! I found a 2018 video on the Nano!!! Youtube "Connecting WiFi Pineapple Nano to Kali via WP6.sh & running Bettercap" oh.. wait.. hes just using the Nano as an AP and hacking with his laptop.

Darren, Seb, fix your products. I dont know if youve given up but rewrite everything, make it work. I contributed to your success/money making. Hell the dashboard news is still from 2016, I think youve given up and are laughing and running with your $$.

8 hours ago, crsyntax said:

Hey! I found a 2018 video on the Nano!!! Youtube "Connecting WiFi Pineapple Nano to Kali via WP6.sh & running Bettercap" oh.. wait.. hes just using the Nano as an AP and hacking with his laptop.

The pineapple is a device that can be used many ways.

8 hours ago, crsyntax said:

Darren, Seb, fix your products. I dont know if youve given up but rewrite everything, make it work. I contributed to your success/money making. Hell the dashboard news is still from 2016, I think youve given up and are laughing and running with your $$.

I think this is a pretty far fetched comment. @Darren Kitchen  @Sebkinne @Foxtrot along with others have always worked through issues with devices in the past and I expect they will do the same now.  The pineapple at its core is working.  Built in modules are working in firmware 2.6.1.  The issue most users are experiencing is with "community" modules.  These modules are developed by community users and must be updated by them to continue working as the Hak5 team releases firmware updates.  

I don't think it is fair to say there products don't work when the community modules are not independently advertised as features of the product.  They should be viewed more as bonus features.  Most advertising of the products are of the built in core features like Recon and PineAP on the wifi pineapple. 

@Bob123

If it dont already exist, we need a sticky or pinned thread for this device that shows firmware revision history and module revisions working with with that firmware.

PS:

Im sorry im super tired after 16 + hours every day, so if i overlooked something or a current thread plz link me/us to it so we may contribute our findings.

On a side note...

I have read more than one person talk about how after installing needed updates to device, they get this fresh experience until they see and load bullietins section and notice nothings been posted since 2016 . A forum "new post RSS feed" would have better served this area justice, keeping up with new info users add on the hak5 forums, thus allowing users to not only be more apart of the community, but also feel something they purchased isnt becoming outdated or EOLD.

PineappleScreenshot.xcf

2 hours ago, nickelz34 said:

If it dont already exist, we need a sticky or pinned thread for this device that shows firmware revision history and module revisions working with with that firmware.

Started one.  If you have new info or status of a module not yet posted please do so.  

Archived