Tutorials and Documentation

Dave-ee Jones

Tutorials and Documentation
From answering a question about the Bash Bunny to providing documentation for PowerShell!

GITHUB REPOSITORY

The Idea:
So there have been a lot of recurring questions, topics and problems regarding everything from general topics to Hak5 products (e.g. Bash Bunny), and with each of these questions and problems is many, many forum posts of answers that people cannot be bothered to lookup. Because of this I have come up with a Github repo that will (eventually) contain the answers to most (if not all) of people's questions or problems that are being asked over and over again. My hope is that this repo will grow to the point of being a single source of general information, tutorials and documentation for projects and other tutorials that people may be interested in.

How you (as part of the community) can help:
I (obviously) cannot do this alone. I've created the base, and now I need a community (the Hak5 community) to give me a hand with watering this potentially fruitful seed.

"What can you add to this repo?" you may ask. Well, what did you learn over the past week? Or month? Or even year? Submitting documentation, tutorials or even just an answer to a popular question that needs a home will help this community find something easily and quickly when they need it. Looking through the forums is a good way of finding something that others need, as many have asked questions that others have answered many times.

Okay, is there a format that you would like me to use?
Well, I would say yes, but I know how frustrating it can be trying to get everything just right in someone else's eyes, so I'll say this:

Just make it understandable (keep it to English), easy to read (set out in a way that a user can find something quickly and skim through something to find the answer) and to the point.

The tutorials/documentation I've uploaded to this day have been in Markdown text files (.md), just so people can easily read what's there with good formatting, but it doesn't have to be like that if you don't know how. I'm fine with people uploading text files or Word documents if it's easier for them.

Rules:

• Be respectful and appropriate to one another; don't be rude.
  • If you found something intentionally and immediately malicious in documentation or a tutorial (someone putting immediately-malicious code that is malicious to your computer while you're following the tutorial/documentation, e.g. uploading creds to an online server in a snippet of code in the tutorial) then please report it on this thread or in the 'Issues' section of the repo!
  • When you're uploading your own documentation/tutorial/answer via the 'Pull Request' feature in Github, please give a description and title to the request! It helps the managers of the repo know what they are committing to the main project!

Remember, the aim of this whole project is to be a community-based project, so if the community can benefit from it, go for it.

If you have any ideas or suggestions for the Github repo (or you just want to comment about how silly this idea is), then please do so below or in the Github repo "Issues" area found here! I would love some feedback, so go for it!

While I've started this Github repo, I don't want it to be seen as "my repo for tutorials and documentations", I want it to be seen as a community gold mine for tutorials, documentation and answers in general!

Edited by Dave-ee Jones

• 2 weeks later...

Should probably link to the parent wiki's for eachs device on the official Hak5 git repo too, for the general documentation and things not covered by yours.

https://github.com/hak5 and https://github.com/hak5darren/wifipineapple-wiki as well as https://ducktoolkit.com/ which I believe is just the website render from the Git files.

24 minutes ago, digip said:

Should probably link to the parent wiki's for eachs device on the official Hak5 git repo too, for the general documentation and things not covered by yours.

https://github.com/hak5 and https://github.com/hak5darren/wifipineapple-wiki as well as https://ducktoolkit.com/ which I believe is just the website render from the Git files.

Yep, I've got a links page for each device, linked in the main "README.md". I'll add the Github Wiki for the Pineapple to the Pineapple's links page and add the Hak5 Github to the main README though, thanks.

On 9/30/2017 at 10:01 PM, Foxtrot said:

May I suggest putting solutions for product issues in the products official wiki? It makes sense to have information in one place, and the wiki's created by Hak5 are open for edits for a reason :)

It does make sense to have information in one place which is exactly why I created this Github repo :)
Currently all the information is spread around the forums, so I am slowly putting as much information as I can into the repo. You're welcome to edit the actual product wikis if you want (just as much as I am welcome), but I don't want to have to go through that process, and I don't need to.

If you think it's wise, go ahead, but I think this repo could help just as much. But I think that the wikis do need a touchup here and there (especially the Bash Bunny one - everyone gets confused there).

I have to say that I agree with Foxtrot here. 

We are currently working on centralizing a lot of our resources, so it would be super helpful to expand the current official wikis instead of having yet another place to find information. 

That way, we'll be able to serve the community better. 

I agree it would be good, but there's no harm in having a good source of tutorials and documentation as a secondary. As I said earlier, you guys are (quite obviously, haha) free to add to the wikis. I myself am too lazy to go to every single wiki and add/remove stuff that's relevant to the project, and I suspect that's the reason it hasn't been done yet either. :tongue: