Change out USB to USB-C for LAN Turtle

jenku

Hi,

Just a question - got the LAN Turtle 3G to play with and want to make it more "believable" as an adapter - how easy or hard would it be to change out the USB to USB-C? Any tips or recommendations? Thoughts on tools required?

Much appreciated from a newbie,

jenku

2 hours ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

Who can you think of that carries around a USB-C to Ethernet dongle?

USB to ethernet is far more widely used and known..

But for education's sake, I would say it would be pretty hard to do if you want to completely swap out the normal USB for USB-C. You could just get a USB to USB C adapter?

Pretentious Mac users...  :grin:

Thanks for the opinions - but I was hoping for something more along the lines of "soldering tool, vice, vice block, these are the number of pins you'd need to solder, if you're blind get a magnifying glass, maybe go off on a tangent and build a reflow oven" types of responses and maybe a pointer to some articles or tutorials on how to test and make it? I've seen USB micro to USB 3 conversions and was hoping that posting this on Hak5 would result in targeted feedback. So, I ask again - tips and advice?

On 9/17/2017 at 9:16 PM, Dave-ee Jones said:

Who can you think of that carries around a USB-C to Ethernet dongle?

On 9/17/2017 at 11:31 PM, barry99705 said:

Pretentious Mac users...  :grin:

On 9/18/2017 at 1:44 AM, Dave-ee Jones said:

Yeah...I forgot about those guys...That's their own problem, haha.

On 9/18/2017 at 7:38 AM, digip said:

Damn Apple hipsters always ruining things with their avocado toast...

I am in no way a Mac user, I do not own anything Mac/Apple/i anything BUT I have a USB-C to Ethernet adapter becayse my phone(Moto Z force) is USB-C. Mind you I only have one, and do not carry it around with me...BUT none the less, I do have one.

6 hours ago, Exmix said:

I am in no way a Mac user, I do not own anything Mac/Apple/i anything BUT I have a USB-C to Ethernet adapter becayse my phone(Moto Z force) is USB-C. Mind you I only have one, and do not carry it around with me...BUT none the less, I do have one.

Was just a joke, not pointing at anyone personally..lol

16 hours ago, barry99705 said:

You can't just solder a usb-c cable to a non usb-c board and expect it to work.  They're not the same.  That's how we had all those cables that were burning up phones at the beginning of usb-c adoption.

Thoughts on https://www.amazon.com/Chenyang-24pin-Female-Socket-Connector/dp/B00VJ944V2/ref=sr_1_4 ? It's the 24 pin female socket with the board - definitely going to need a lovely magnifying glass and a nice soldering tool. I was more worried about voltage - I was reading that USB-c is supposed to be backwards compatible - but yeah that's one thing I was worried about. Don't want to burn my turtle.

On 9/18/2017 at 7:38 AM, digip said:

Damn Apple hipsters always ruining things with their avocado toast...

Try the toast with sundried tomatoes and feta cheese - nothing wrong with toast with tea. Regarding USB-c dongle hipster-ness - higher throughput and being able to charge on the same port seems like the right direction. I'm sure something better will come along in a few years anyways. But in all seriousness - I haven't messed around with boards in a while and would like to not set fire to all the things on accident.

3 hours ago, jenku said:

Thoughts on https://www.amazon.com/Chenyang-24pin-Female-Socket-Connector/dp/B00VJ944V2/ref=sr_1_4 ? It's the 24 pin female socket with the board - definitely going to need a lovely magnifying glass and a nice soldering tool. I was more worried about voltage - I was reading that USB-c is supposed to be backwards compatible - but yeah that's one thing I was worried about. Don't want to burn my turtle.

What if you guttered an USB-C to USB adapter, then put the adapter on, then put in a new enclosure. Seems safer/quicker than trying to solder and fry things that could damage the unit.

15 hours ago, digip said:

What if you guttered an USB-C to USB adapter, then put the adapter on, then put in a new enclosure. Seems safer/quicker than trying to solder and fry things that could damage the unit.

I would try this first.  I thing the chip for USB-C is different than previous USB.  So it would require more than just a connector. Not saying it can't be done tho.

15 hours ago, digip said:

That's a pretty good idea - I think I'll plan, get the tools, and then try two approaches - your approach seems more likely to succeed. I'd like to mod it into something that is discreet, functional, and not going to blow up on me. Dongle inception is a bit too much if I'm trying to do intel gathering. Excellent idea.