Passive cooling mod; worth?

datguy_dev

Greetings,

I was bored, so I cut a chunk off the top of the BashBunny and slapped a small heatsink on the CPU. The fit is snug, so I could use thermal paste (generic white). With storage, ethernet, and ssh, it idles around 50 C*? according to /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp. Default governor. The heatsink is hot to the touch; not warm. I simulated a load looping "find /" and it got as hot as 55 C.

I never had heat issues with the BashBunny. But it does look "cooler" so why not? 

Ls0fyuq.jpg

Edited by datguy_dev
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ooo, fanceh, but I don't think it's really worth it unless you plan on doing a bit of CUCUMBER-ing. My Bash Bunny doesn't heat up that much whenever I use normal payloads (e.g. WabbitWeb, Slydoor, DumpCreds, QuickCreds etc.).

It looks cooler, but it's also less stealthy now. People gonna ask why you bothered to put a heatsink or a normal USB and you're gonna be like "Uhh..actually it's more like a small SSD, so it can get pretty hot sometimes.." and then they'll be like "Duuuuuuuude, you have a USB SSD? I want one!" and you're gonna be like "Well, I, uhh, got it from, uhh, *quickly looks up "SSD USB stick"* here!" then they'll say "Oh, so did you, like, 3D print that case for it or something? Why doesn't it have a heatsink on that one?" and then you'll be in trouble :P

41 minutes ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

Ooo, fanceh, but I don't think it's really worth it unless you plan on doing a bit of CUCUMBER-ing. My Bash Bunny doesn't heat up that much whenever I use normal payloads (e.g. WabbitWeb, Slydoor, DumpCreds, QuickCreds etc.).

It looks cooler, but it's also less stealthy now. People gonna ask why you bothered to put a heatsink or a normal USB and you're gonna be like "Uhh..actually it's more like a small SSD, so it can get pretty hot sometimes.." and then they'll be like "Duuuuuuuude, you have a USB SSD? I want one!" and you're gonna be like "Well, I, uhh, got it from, uhh, *quickly looks up "SSD USB stick"* here!" then they'll say "Oh, so did you, like, 3D print that case for it or something? Why doesn't it have a heatsink on that one?" and then you'll be in trouble :P

That is true. But if you're good, no one should see it right? :D

Personally, I'm in it for the tech and not the creds. I tinker around with Arduino and ARM boards as well. I guess you could call me a whitehat, as I just graduated not too long ago w/ certs and now work as a sys admin. Can't take such risks anymore. 

I did try out cucumber plaid. I didn't see a difference at first glance. 

17 hours ago, datguy_dev said:

That is true. But if you're good, no one should see it right? :D

Personally, I'm in it for the tech and not the creds. I tinker around with Arduino and ARM boards as well. I guess you could call me a whitehat, as I just graduated not too long ago w/ certs and now work as a sys admin. Can't take such risks anymore. 

I did try out cucumber plaid. I didn't see a difference at first glance. 

Yeah, I'm also in that area of expertise (as an occupation and a hobby). I haven't tried the Arduinos or ARMs, I don't like them that much, but I'm always keen to learn more about cool tricks that you can do with specific hardware and software.