Hak5 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
N1ghtCap

Crashing within five minutes

N1ghtCap   

So I've had the Wi-Fi pineapple for a little while now, and I've been having a problem consistently that within five minutes the pineapple crashes and reboots. I thought it might have been due to specific activity, but just turning the pineapple on and letting it sit it still crashes within about five minutes. I've tried doing a factory reset multiple times, and after doing a little bit of research I thought it might be a power supply problem, but after trying the battery and the wall charger to no avail it would seem as though that's not the problem. I'm starting to think I may have got a lemon, and this is a hardware problem. Anyone had the same problems? If so have you found a way to fix this?

if you connect using the uart serial you might get some dmesg clues as to why this is occuring. The symptom does sound like power tho, I have experienced similar in my early days when starting out with the tetra.

One thing you may wish to try would be a firmware recovery (different to a factory reset) and see if that solves your issue - make sure you use the 12V 2A supply for that as you don't want to bork the flash and end up with a brick. I would even be inclined to enter boot loader flash mode and wait for a while (10mins or so) without flashing to make sure its stable enough to flash a factory firmware.

https://wifipineapple.github.io/wifipineapple-wiki//#!troubleshooting.md

Edited by Just_a_User

I am in a similar situation.

I have done factory reset many times, and firmware reset a few times. I get about 15min before reboot. After reboot I can reconnect (wp6.sh) and sign in at the GUI, but anything involving wlan1 will not work until the unit has been without power for some time (cool down? although it does not feel hot). Since it seemed like a power issue initially, I have been giving it as much as I can (Y-cable to the ETH port, from the hosting laptop(kali), Y-cable to a powered USB hub (with no computer hooked up to it) to the UART port, and the AC wall adapter. The system log in the GUI seems to only show results for the current session so its hard to see what may have caused the reboot (if there is a to log SSH to on the system that may show more that would be helpful)

So, I too am at my wits end. Ive tried a different computer, again with Kali installed, and everything seems to be pointing me towards the hardware.

In my most recent attempts I have just been starting it up, starting PineAP and just let it sit until it goes into a reboot (which I just watched it do)

If there is anything I am doing wrong, anything I should try, or if this looks like a problem with the hardware I would appreciate hearing about it.

cmw   

I have several Tetras.  Unfortunately, they crash/reboot very often.  It fills me with nostalgia for my days as a Windows user.

I have a Nano, too, but don't use it often enough to say if it crashes with the same frequency.