Wireless Outdoor Camera Suggestions

Cap_Sig

So a wireless camera between 60 and 80 metres from an AP? Well firstly you're going to have to find an AP that's powerful enough to go to that range.

You can look into Ubiquiti Unifi products. https://unifi-sdn.ubnt.com/#surveillance

Using a UAC Pro with a surveillance camera you could probably do what you want there, but I would do a bit of research. If you don't want to spend that much on it you can look for a cheaper solution, but you're still going to need a fairly powerful AP to go that kind of range.

We did this at a client's house.  They have a mother in law house on the property and wanted a camera looking down at the garage doors.  We used two nanostation M5's to bridge to the house, then attached the camera directly to the nanostation.  We've since added a UAP pro to the mix, so it now goes nanostation - uap - camera.  Luckily the uap has a secondary port so we didn't have to add a switch.  I really like the image from these cameras.  The biggest issue you're going to have is power.  I think the new nanostations have poe passthrough on the secondary port, so you should be able to run a camera off it, which is pretty cool.  You'll just need to put the injector in a weatherproof box.

On 9/15/2017 at 10:06 PM, barry99705 said:

We did this at a client's house.  They have a mother in law house on the property and wanted a camera looking down at the garage doors.  We used two nanostation M5's to bridge to the house, then attached the camera directly to the nanostation.  We've since added a UAP pro to the mix, so it now goes nanostation - uap - camera.  Luckily the uap has a secondary port so we didn't have to add a switch.  I really like the image from these cameras.  The biggest issue you're going to have is power.  I think the new nanostations have poe passthrough on the secondary port, so you should be able to run a camera off it, which is pretty cool.  You'll just need to put the injector in a weatherproof box.

Ahh, thanks for the more experience-based input. I've never done it before, never had to. I've got a camera or two around the house but they're wired as they are on the house itself.

2 hours ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

Ahh, thanks for the more experience-based input. I've never done it before, never had to. I've got a camera or two around the house but they're wired as they are on the house itself.

I really like most of Ubiquiti's stuff, their routers, not so much.  Put one in the same house as above, it works, but I don't like it.  I would have preferred a pfsense box.

2 hours ago, barry99705 said:

I really like most of Ubiquiti's stuff, their routers, not so much.  Put one in the same house as above, it works, but I don't like it.  I would have preferred a pfsense box.

Yeah, it's hard to find decent routers. I've played around with a few, but I think some of the best ones around are the Synology ones (RT1900ac, RT2600ac). They're pretty beefy routers with lots of nice features.

Thanks for all the info.  Powering the cameras wont be an issue.  Have looked into trenching Ethernet out to the location but not looking cost effective at this point.  Looking at setting up a wireless bridge so could have the ability to use wired IP cameras then bridge the connection back to the main router.  Looking at possibly an AP with external antenna connections to give flexibility for directional antennas.  We have a r7000 router now with stock antennas that actually seems to have decent signal strength at the location but haven't actually tested the quality.

Might go with @Dave-ee Jones suggestion.  Cameras look to be nice and have nice features for easy use.

1 hour ago, barry99705 said:

Depends.  If you're just connecting a few, you're probably alright.  Otherwise I'd set up a second separate switch for them and the dvr.

^ This. Ubiquiti also sells switches, but I believe they can be quite expensive (depending on amount of ports). Needless to say you should probably have a predefined subnet or IP range for them as well (or even just a separate VLAN).

I am using UBNT products for a few solutions like this. These will carry half gig if done right. Then all you have to do is run some CAT6 Outdoor. Shop around for prices links are just for reference. You have to do LiteBeam with LiteBeam though. So if you do a LiteBeam AP do a LiteBeam Station. LiteBeam is cheap has a good amount of throughput. 250 ft isnt nothing for these.

AP on gateway:
https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-0xk-000w-000p8

Station:

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIV0PT4FP7049&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleBizMKPL-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleBizMKPL-PC-_-pla-_-Network+-+Wireless+AP%2FBridge-_-9SIV0PT4FP7049&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9afOBRDWARIsAJW4nvxU2wqDpMjW9ttkiuq2PiZ1KezmFo9nEk9W7BUS61-gGlVkniYnxYkaAmVEEALw_wcB

Cameras:

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-0xr-0090-00014

POE Injection:

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-0xp-000a-00002

Edited by numb3rs

On 9/26/2017 at 7:25 PM, Dave-ee Jones said:

^ This. Ubiquiti also sells switches, but I believe they can be quite expensive (depending on amount of ports). Needless to say you should probably have a predefined subnet or IP range for them as well (or even just a separate VLAN).

They do have some of the nicest reasonably priced poe switches on the market though.

• 2 months later...
On 12/13/2017 at 2:22 AM, Henry1 said:

There are many CCTV brands available in the market like Night owl, Lorex, Swann, qsee, zmodo etc., which provides wireless system. If you have confusion, you can consult with CCTV installation companies nearby youThey will better assist you according to your need with a budget in mind.

This is the weirdest spam post I've ever seen.  It almost looks legit.