VERY Silly question about Partitioning

Exmix

So I did some lookin around about if it's safe/OK to partition/Dual-boot a SSD. Most things I found it we're VERY back and forth. Some said you can but it's NOT recommended due to it will degrade faster, while others said there won't be an affect at all, while others said if you do it will have a huge problem with performance.

I was wondering if anyone here has done dual-booting from an SSD and if they can shed some extra light on this for me.

Go for it.

I have 2ssd's in raid zero in my laptop. This baby powers up with a snap of a finger.

Just always be careful with the data you store on this machine.

I have setup a raid backup file server on my desktop. I put all important stuff here.

Four drives 2 terabyte each.

If one hard drive fails, I can replace the drive and recover the data.

I have dual booted an SSD on a laptop.  Had no issues after a few years of use.  May just want to check if the OSs being used have settings to help increase the life of the drive.  

8 hours ago, i8igmac said:

I have 2ssd's in raid zero in my laptop. This baby powers up with a snap of a finger.

I like the sound of this setup!

On 9/9/2017 at 1:53 PM, i8igmac said:

I wouldn't say that's the same thing as one SSD partitioned into two though. Those 2 SSDs can still use their own power to boot themselves, while the one has to 'boot' two different partitions which could contain two different OS' ('boot' being in quote marks because it's still only booting the one SSD, but has to separate itself).

I've never done it, probably never will, probably never need to. Get two 256GB SSDs, they'll do the job. I've got one 500GB Samsung Evo SSD, works fine, and fast.

Edited by Dave-ee Jones

1 hour ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

I wouldn't say that's the same thing as one SSD partitioned into two though. Those 2 SSDs can still use their own power to boot themselves, while the one has to 'boot' two different partitions which could contain two different OS' ('boot' being in quote marks because it's still only booting the one SSD, but has to separate itself).

I've never done it, probably never will, probably never need to. Get two 256GB SSDs, they'll do the job. I've got one 500GB Samsung Evo SSD, works fine, and fast.

its the writing that would cause a ssd to go bad or deleting and over writing.

Think of it like this. If you write 10 gigs of data every day to the drive,  your drive would last you about ten years.

its the life expectancy of the drive that should be advertise by the manufacture. this is a low ball guess but a safe guess at 100 terabytes of data write before failure...

Booting up your os is not going to consume the life expectancy. Letting your computer idle causes more damage then powering the device on. 

as I said before. Go for it... it is safe...

Edited by i8igmac

1 hour ago, Exmix said:

I just ended up using an old 350GB HDD and slapped that in and dual-booting with that. I just never really thought to try it or look into it. Most the time myt laptop is my Linux station.

Your at a higher risk of loosing your data with this old spinning disk.

A small drop is all it takes... its happened to me twice... the first time was walking with it still plugged in and jerked out of my hands... the second time was a jealous girlfriend giving it a good smack...

Old spinning hard disks are for sad depressed people... follow my advice before you become this person...

Take out the tampon and GO for it lol...

Edited by i8igmac

1 hour ago, i8igmac said:

A small drop is all it takes... its happened to me twice... the first time was walking with it still plugged in and jerked out of my hands... the second time was a jealous girlfriend giving it a good smack...

Old spinning hard disks are for sad depressed people... follow my advice before you become this person...

It's maybe 2 years old. So i'm sure i'm fine.

A small drop? It's an internal HDD, in a desktop that I don't move. Take those unnecessary insults somewhere else.

Edited by Exmix

2 hours ago, i8igmac said:

If you drop anything from a high enough distance will break *looks at all his friends' phones*. And realistically, who's actually going to carry around their HDD or PC every day? Silly boi. They're no more dangerous to drop than an SSD, phone or anything like that.