Can we have a 'Tutorials' section of the forums?

Dave-ee Jones

1 hour ago, Sebkinne said:

I agree with @digip, we probably don't need that extra subforum.

I don't know - it's not a need but it could be ideal for the general tutorials that don't really suit any particular project. Could even have project tutorials in it which could potentially make it easier for the newbies to access. As we all know there are quite a few of them who go straight to General or something like that.

I'm not so much apposed to the idea, as I think the forums are kind of one big tutorial that is hard to find what you need or want, answering a lot of questions people tend to ask, over and over, if you ever searched a specific thing, you would probably find the answer, but might be hard to organize when lost in the chatter of other posts in the same thread..

I think, maybe make a git repo. Then, wrangle in all the tutorials you can think of and categorize them, and then link and make your own official "post", not to say a whole sub-forum. Then, people contributing, can add changes in the post as replies but can also make use of a  more organized repo, vs dredging through forum posts to find the right thing they need. You can then add changes/fixes and updates on the repo, which will then reflect the more organized and official tuts in an easier to use format.

If it picks up, then have a specific sub-forum dedicated for tutorials where people can start their own, which can then be added on the repo, but I think something like a walk-through section for different things, might be better served like a wiki/git repo with people contributing code fixes and enhancements, but the code and demonstrations live on Git and people can find fixes and enhancements here before they get pushed out to Git to test and discuss how to fix or whatever the discussion involves.

This requires dedication and work on your end as well, since someone will need to archive, document, and organize all the tutorials in a way that makes them accessible to everyone, which in the way a forum works will make it much harder to do with a slew of comments between content you want to make use of.

I think the forums are more "discussion" oriented, and sometimes finding something, while it may already exist multiple times and answered multiple times, tends to get lost in the chatter/echo chamber, and newbie members, tend to not use the search feature to find what probably already exists in some form here now to answer their questions. I think a dedicated page/site/repo would help alleviate a lot of that, and makes sense even for other things, which if you look at the hak5 devices, while we have discussion posts and improvements and fixes posted here all the time for community users to share and test, they do all have their own Git/wiki site/pages now,  which house proper payloads and walkthroughs and documentation, which I think would better serve the community as a whole.

Edited by digip

What about a sticky thread that in the Everything Else subforum? That way people people could post their own and link to other relevant tutorials found elsewhere? It would be at the top of the busiest subforum and people could then search that thread alone for whatever it is they're looking.

Similar to the thread  I created last year as a resource for myself and others to revisit, sort of a bookmark thread if you will.  

Edited by Spoonish
Typos

4 minutes ago, Spoonish said:

What about a sticky thread that in the Everything Else subforum? That way people people could post their own and link to other relevant tutorials found elsewhere? It would be at the top of the busiest subforum and people could then search that thread alone for whatever it is they're looking.

Similar to the thread  I created last year as a resource for myself and others to revisit, sort of a bookmark thread if you will.  

And that was kind of my point ,that the forums are already a sort of tutorial section, just a bit disjointed, since info exists all over the forums. Forums are more a discussion platform, and for help with things like, how does xyz work on your tutorial, as where a wiki or git repo housing all of them with code samples like bash scripts, python scripts, or whole projects, can better serve the overall info, while we can link here to the repo, and maybe a sticky for the repo, that shows questions for people needing help with say, a payload, or code fixes that can then be patched to the repo. The thing about having them on a repo, also makes it easier for people if they want to git clone a project or files, to test on their own machines. 

Lets say you have a tutorial that shows how to use a new tool you created. you host the tutorial and the codebase, on git. Then people get git clone the project and try it on their end, using the tutorial as a walkthrough to learn with. Then when they get stuck or have questions, or find a bug, they can use the forums to discuss, ask questions and post fixes, which then get pushed back to the repo with updated Tutorial instructions and code base.

I'm thinking more organizational resources and long term community repository, that serves a better purpose, than say, a long winded sticky post for a thread, which would allow for many more projects to be added, from not just a simple tutorial, but also the code samples to work with, scripts, etc, and all in a place that when you need to make a change for find the fix for, isn't buried in a thread on the forums to try and search for, but is updated on the repo which is designed to be a place for this kind of thing. I think definitely a tutorial section would be useful, but lets make one that is structured and organized like proper documentation and accessible in a format that does't require sleuthing through the forums to find what you need.

8 hours ago, digip said:

-snip-

Yeah, I am definitely thinking about it - I just don't think I can come up with enough tutorials for it to be worth all the work by myself. I can definitely start it and put a few up, but it won't really be enough to get rolling unless others contribute. The post would also need to be pinned.

1 hour ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

Yeah, I am definitely thinking about it - I just don't think I can come up with enough tutorials for it to be worth all the work by myself. I can definitely start it and put a few up, but it won't really be enough to get rolling unless others contribute. The post would also need to be pinned.

Yeah, it only takes one to get started. You have 3 items in your signature already, that you could expand on in detail on a repo and add all the necessary scripts and code for. Not so much if it can be done, it's will it be done. Start with anything and then add as you find them. Other peoples code and tuts you find on the forums(or off site) could get wrangled in. Just make sure people don't have any objections, and always credit the authors with links and references. Attribution helps promote others work while also ensuring they are ok with what you do with their stuff by asking them ahead of time, but most people should be ok with it I would think.

14 minutes ago, digip said:

Yeah, it only takes one to get started. You have 3 items in your signature already, that you could expand on in detail on a repo and add all the necessary scripts and code for. Not so much if it can be done, it's will it be done. Start with anything and then add as you find them. Other peoples code and tuts you find on the forums(or off site) could get wrangled in. Just make sure people don't have any objections, and always credit the authors with links and references. Attribution helps promote others work while also ensuring they are ok with what you do with their stuff by asking them ahead of time, but most people should be ok with it I would think.

Rightio. I'll give it more thought. The only thing I need to consider now is if I have the time to manage something like that in my spare time. I guess I won't need to actively watch it, just add as I get requests or have a look around every now and then.

EDIT: Have started making the general structure of the repo. I don't wanna get into making tutorials for it and realising I could have done the structure a whole lot better, so I am trying to figure out the best way of setting it out for any tutorials/documentation to fit in nicely. Got any ideas of how I would set it out?

My current idea is:

• Tutorials
    • General
    • Bash Bunny
  • Documentation

But then again maybe doing it like this may be better:

• General
    • Tutorials
  • Bash Bunny
    • Tutorials (general payload-creating tutorials)
    • Documentation (general documentation)
    • Payload Tutorials and Documentation (payload-specific tutorials and documentation)
Edited by Dave-ee Jones

10 minutes ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

Rightio. I'll give it more thought. The only thing I need to consider now is if I have the time to manage something like that in my spare time. I guess I won't need to actively watch it, just add as I get requests or have a look around every now and then.

Wouldn't this be a situation where as a sticky thread of tutorial chaos would be advantageous? Something that would rate  and berate, all but moderate it's self. Letting you do you boo boo..

43 minutes ago, Spoonish said:

Wouldn't this be a situation where as a sticky thread of tutorial chaos would be advantageous? Something that would rate  and berate, all but moderate it's self. Letting you do you boo boo..

?

There's also the question of what format the documentation should be in - standard markdown?

Thinking about the Bash Bunny section of the repo, the payload documentation should be made up of markdown files, each file for a different payload, so that it's a one-file-fits-all kind-of-thing, allowing people to find documentation for the payload in the file. It would look like so:

• WabbitWeb.md
  • Slydoor.md
  • QuickCreds.md
  • etc.
Edited by Dave-ee Jones

Here's a link to the repo by the way: https://github.com/Dave-ee/Tutorials-and-Documentation

It's (obviously) not finished yet, but it has some basic navigation (saves people clicking on every folder trying to find the tutorial they want, pretty naaz), my PS tutorial and some external links I've put up.

Feel free to suggest some things. I don't want to make it overly public just yet, I'll make a separate post when it's got a bit more to it (I'll do some tutorials on my own payloads, probably - and maybe a few others, some BB documentation etc.).