Maybe a nice tool for pentesters...

NoTele

So i just wanted to point your attention to an Kickstarter project which i stumbled upon, which will be realised and where you can now get the devices for the end of the year on Indiegogo. I ordered a few of them and my idea is to place an Pineapple device in some location and to control it remotly over these devices =) They have mash capabilities and the main point is that they do communicate with each other over regular radio frequencies which gives it a possibility up to a few kilometers (depending where they are placed of course!). They only use Wlan to connect the local devices to the system, they have integrated batteries etc.

So no need of an separate SIM card (additional regular costs) is my main idea. So if somebody should be interested in the idea you can find all the information here: Sonnet Page on Indiegogo

It is only an idea that i wanted to share which could be of interest to guys doing pentesting or similar projects ;-) And by the way... They are working on a solution to offer higher power capabilities for HAM licensed users =)

You can connect to the Sonnet an USB-Ethernet Adapter. So you have no need to use any wifi at all and you can pass under the radar of wifi if needed =) Some companies / hotels or other places have special devices to detect & jam rogue acces points. So you might get the idea i'm gettin to...

Wait so if you put a few of those around a small city you could create your own mobile network??

I should do that and make a few bucks off of people buying a subscription from me. I could just drive around the countryside chucking a few of those out the window as I go and BOOM, country-wide cellular network.

And yes, they seem like they could be pretty powerful for remote pentesting.

Nope... Creating an own mobile network is not possible... Thay say you can vonnect up to 20 devices to one node but if you multiply it by devices you get the number.

But aparently the guys from Sonnet got the idea that there could be a industrial need for their devices so there might be a following product. Emergency communications in regions which were hit by storms or similar situations are perfect for their use as well... Hacking is not on their radar i think as well =D

Well, of course there is an industrial need - it would be very useful.

I did notice that the maximum range of multiple numbers of devices was around ~80km. That's still really large, though not enough for a state-wide mobile network, let alone country-wide. 

Up to 20 devices meaning other Sonnets or phones? Is it 20 phones per Sonnet or 20 phones over the whole Sonnet network?

Also just found this:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/839338150/phone2pc-turn-your-phone-into-a-remote-control-for?ref=category_popular

A plug-and-play USB that allows you to control the PC via your phone. I wonder if you could get the Bash Bunny to copy that kind of tech. Trouble is the Bash Bunny doesn't have any wireless capabilities.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

These seem like an interesting idea, however I've used lots of Part 15 900Mhz gear in the past and bandwidth is a huge issue. I do not think you will be able to get the distances they say with NLOS. Additionally tons of government SCADA systems run on 900Mhz and these trash that spectrum.  Also I think it is misleading that they are saying you can do 'phone' type services (text, call, etc) when in reality they are simply making an ethernet wireless bridge so your services would be the same available when on wifi. 

Will I still buy one, probably because I love tech... So here's to hoping I'm wrong :D

Source: http://www.arrl.org/part-15-radio-frequency-devices

Yeah I'm definetly waiting for the devices and as you might have noticed it's not only on 900mhz (yeah for the US) but here in Europe you're on 868 and in asia you're on 433... I'm wondering how controll will take place :rolleyes:

Anyway... I have no idea how SCADA devices work but that's another idea you got me onto... Any hint where i could find sme documentation for devices used here in Europe?

And as a mather of fact I am also curious about the bandwith. But to manage an pineapple it should be enough!? Maybe SSH will also work but as you say... Curious to stay ahead in technologie is the main idea here :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...

So I ordered 4 all together I live in a town that 7 km long by 4 km wide I figure one plugged in at home one day and one uptown at various friends house and all I have full coverage, plus they're going to have antenna ports for WiFi and radio and I happen to be a collector of many antennas see what we can do with it my first house will be running everything through my openvpn server