How can you even be inconspicuous with the Tetra?

Plexus

I mean the obvious response is "then get a Nano" :rolleyes: I have one so let's move on, let's be real. If you are to use this in a public place even if you use the "ominous box"  the tetra still needs to be placed where it has internet access to ethernet or phone tethering and where people cannot see it. How does one do pen-testing without making it look obvious at a clients place? 

For the sake of example say, you are pen-testing a local coffee store... it's a stretch I know but bear with me. You've been hired by the corporate IT team to test the security of the network for users and customers. You can't just stroll on into the shop & bust out that pineapple tetra.

So what do you do?  
Have you made any devices and customized them to work in the field?

I think you misunderstand the purpose of the devices... One is marketed and designed as an "... ultimate WiFi pen test companion, in your pocket." and the other an "amplified, dual-band (2.4/5 GHz) powerhouse.". The TETRA isn't designed to be portable, that's what the NANO is good at. It's a feature trade between size and capability.

However I have used the TETRA as a portable device with two Pineapple Juice batteries. Works well in a backpack.

• 4 weeks later...

This looks similar to them, and are directly compatible with the tetra SMA fittings along with being dual band. I don't own these, I'm just interested.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1X-8dBi-Dual-Band-Wifi-antenna-flat-patch-blade-2-4G-5-8GHz-SMA-connector-B-/272658143096?hash=item3f7bb11778:g:BSMAAOSw7GRZC9qA

Which could be used with these SMA-F to SMA-M 90deg fittings if you wanted to allow "fold flat" packdown like elkentaro does.
https://www.amazon.com/Right-Angle-Degree-Female-Adapter/dp/B00AGMBSHG

20 hours ago, elkentaro said:

Yea thats me. I found the antennas somewhere...cant remember where , but I do remember I ended up with a couple before I found ones that worked...lol

I spent half an hour looking for that case. Do you have abrand name or even better, an amazon link to it?

I've seen someone mentioning the importance of getting high quality adapters. Can you see any degradation in signal quality? Again, do you know the brand or a link to the same ones? Thanks again for making the video and sharing with the community.

As far as connectors go, I do remember that I had to search for some odd 90 degree connectors on AliExpress cause of the way the center pin has to be a male (SMA male ) to the Pineapple and a female with center pin (RP-SMA) to the antenna. Signal degradation I haven't "felt" it but maybe when I get time I might do a signal comparison .

• 1 month later...

I have a 5.11 rush 24 backpack and the tetra and batteries fit in the front admin pouch which gives me room for my laptop and other stuff plus a hoodie if needed in the main compartment. But I care a backpack everywhere with me and the boy's things. 

Not to be an ass but "discreet" is kinda relative I think, I mean the Tetra would fit in a network equipment environment totally fine. So would a backpack on the streets. But in a board room full of execs a briefcase might be a better option. So depending on the "scene" you plan to use it , you would have to adjust one.  I have been wanting to build a vest with a Tetra in it that I could wear and throw a coat over to hide it, but then again I have so many "in progress" builds, not sure when it will get done...lol

• 1 year later...

Anything by scottevest. My hoody can hold two laptops and look normal i didnt even know all the pockets but in the sunglass pocket is an atached micro fiber cloth showing all 30 you can fit the tetra atennea out all pockets have wirecpnections.i have vest for summer. Ecen the underwarer they make have pockets. The hoodie is so sweet. You should realy check them out if you want discreet. You could carry all you pentest equip. And look like just a regular hoody. No case or bag. I dont have a jacket but probably hold more. Scottevest,com

Why not attach a magnet to it and place it UNDER the table with the antennas laying parallel to the box.  Starbucks has metal tables so it would attach nicely underneath and with the antennas flat against the table, it's low profile.

Or better yet, since it's connected to your notebook, put a big sticker on it that reads "WIFI Hotspot Booster".  Heck, you might even get people WANTING to connect to it. 

I think that the best solution is using with a backpack with a battery pack and a tethering connection. I have this tactical and small bag:

https://www.amazon.com/REEBOW-GEAR-Tactical-Military-Shoulder/dp/B06Y6949RT/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=tactical&qid=1569472481&s=gateway&sr=8-6

and works fine for me. More power than nano and I leave the bag on the floor when testing.61GfvEZGnOL._AC_SL1001_.jpg   

2 hours ago, L3N1 said:

I think that the best solution is using with a backpack with a battery pack and a tethering connection. I have this tactical and small bag:

https://www.amazon.com/REEBOW-GEAR-Tactical-Military-Shoulder/dp/B06Y6949RT/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=tactical&qid=1569472481&s=gateway&sr=8-6

and works fine for me. More power than nano and I leave the bag on the floor when testing.61GfvEZGnOL._AC_SL1001_.jpg   

Hi buddy, nice option........if it works for you and it does the job......then great.......and thanks for sharing the link.......😎

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2017 at 4:25 PM, barry99705 said:

Kinda like a clipboard and a hard hat.  Walk onto a jobsite with those and no one will talk to you all day.

i walked into an active fbi investigation without one person questioning me while carrying a metal clipboard, hardhat, vest, and glasses on.  About every 30 feet i would stop and write some shit down, take a picture, then move on.  walked up to an agent and asked a question and she just shook her head and put her fingers to her lips.  i took that to mean she wasn't allowed to talk.  confidence is king.

Archived