"OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory" when running Wifite v2 (r87)

doctorized

Not sure what wifite is doing, but it's possible the card's monitor mode is flaky. and can't do full injection. Try aireplay-ng for tests to see what it can/can't do. My suggestion, try a new USB wifi card. They are pretty cheap, like $10-15 for some of them, roughly $20-30 for a decent alpha and you can always find used ones on eBay and Amazon that should work. Just make sure you get a compatible card with the right chipset. If you have any friends with an Alpha card, ask to borrow it and give it a try just to test with wifite. If wifite still barfs, then might be a bad install or other system issues, but I have a feeling it's the internal card that isn't fully supported.

27 minutes ago, digip said:

Not sure what wifite is doing, but it's possible the card's monitor mode is flaky. and can't do full injection. Try aireplay-ng for tests to see what it can/can't do. My suggestion, try a new USB wifi card. They are pretty cheap, like $10-15 for some of them, roughly $20-30 for a decent alpha and you can always find used ones on eBay and Amazon that should work. Just make sure you get a compatible card with the right chipset. If you have any friends with an Alpha card, ask to borrow it and give it a try just to test with wifite. If wifite still barfs, then might be a bad install or other system issues, but I have a feeling it's the internal card that isn't fully supported.

I prefer giving these money and buy some more GBs from my mobile ISP and be sure that I have them to use rather than buying a USB card without knowing if it is going to work with wifite or not. I have a second laptop, older one, I will give it a try as soon as I have some time as I have to create linux partitions to it and install Kali. Thanx a lot for trying to help me. I do appreciate it!

4 hours ago, doctorized said:

I downloaded and installed the full version of Kali. Now wifite works fine, all errors disappeared but it fails to crack all scanned networks. I am a little bit disappointed.

Wifite isn't a silver bullet. It's great for vulnerable WPS devices when using the pixie dust attack, but most WPA2 stuff, you're still going to have to do it the old fashioned way, capture the 4-way handshake, and then bruteforce the password. WEP should crack in few minutes or less though.

11 hours ago, digip said:

Wifite isn't a silver bullet. It's great for vulnerable WPS devices when using the pixie dust attack, but most WPA2 stuff, you're still going to have to do it the old fashioned way, capture the 4-way handshake, and then bruteforce the password. WEP should crack in few minutes or less though.

When you say "4-way handshake" you mean DHCP messages, right? (DHCP discover, offer, etc)

1 hour ago, doctorized said:

When you say "4-way handshake" you mean DHCP messages, right? (DHCP discover, offer, etc)

No, sorry. When you connect to a WPA2 access point, there is a 4-way handshake process that takes place, which is all encrypted and set's up the session to allow you(the client) to use the access point. Without  this, clients can't connect to the AP, which is where a deauth comes in. A connected client normally will re-connect automatically(most devices and OS's do this by default unless disabled). Because of this, you can deauth the client, and monitor for them trying to reconnect. This is where you capture the handshake, after which, you need to brute force to get the password from it. There are no easy hacks for this, which is why WPA2 is generally secure in most cases, aside from weak passwords or when WPS pin code attacks are possible. Strong passwords are critical to prevent easily cracking the password. The longer, more complex, the longer it takes to crack, even with GPU cracking.