What is the packet squirrel?

m40295

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Draxiom said:

I think i know the password... but I don't think they are ready/setup yet. View source on https://packetsquirrel.com

Last night I mentioned this on the irc, I don't think what you are talking about is the password. I checked. Its what it is labeled. 

Anyone else thinks this means that we should go on a scavenger hunt?

Darren confirmed that 3 devices are going to be released on Friday. - Packet Squirrel just seems to be one of them (unless there are 2 versions of the squirrel - like the Nano and Tetra are 2 versions of the same tool). 

Anyway looking forward. 

Still no pre-order, Seems I'm going to have to be okay with ordering on the unveiling, just hope the team can ship quickly.  (otherwise, I can always play when I get back from my trip)

4 minutes ago, zoro25 said:

Still no pre-order, Seems I'm going to have to be okay with ordering on the unveiling, just hope the team can ship quickly.  (otherwise, I can always play when I get back from my trip)

He said he'd probably open the pre-order on Friday, but no guarntee.

See my post here about other possible items, 

While nothing is confirmed by the team, these are registered by Darren. However, it should be noted that only the PacketSquirrel.com domain has any content. The others all give errors. 

Also even if those were the names of new tools, a name still gives us nothing about how the tool carries out its attack or what it can do to aid pivoting. Except maybe the way it connects

for example

USBLadyBug = USB device attack meaning physical access to device under test will be needed

ScreenCrab = No idea on attack style but it seems like it could be a remote screen grabbing tool (I've no idea how this could work if it was that)

USBBoomStick  = again USB in name so suppose another tool needing physical access

Only about 2 days to go 

1 hour ago, zoro25 said:

While nothing is confirmed by the team, these are registered by Darren. However, it should be noted that only the PacketSquirrel.com domain has any content. The others all give errors. 

If I were Darren I'd register at least one BS domain, just to keep people guessing.

On 17.10.2017 at 2:57 PM, rottingsun said:

Oughta been interesting. I'll be watching the live stream intently. 

This blog refers to it as a "programmable MITM device".

https://www.doyler.net/security-not-included/def-con-25-bsideslv-2017

I also saw someone on Twitter describe it as "an online tap with payload capability, like the bash bunny".

Guess 1: The Packet Squirrel is to the LAN turtle what the bash bunny is to the ducky

Guess 2: The Packet Squirrel works as an addon to the LAN Turtle and/or Wifi Pineapple, upgrading their memory, CPU and perhaps storage-space. 

Will be interesting to see how much the coupon-code is worth. 

6 hours ago, zoro25 said:

See my post here about other possible items, 

Also even if those were the names of new tools, a name still gives us nothing about how the tool carries out its attack or what it can do to aid pivoting. Except maybe the way it connects

for example

USBLadyBug = USB device attack meaning physical access to device under test will be needed

ScreenCrab = No idea on attack style but it seems like it could be a remote screen grabbing tool (I've no idea how this could work if it was that)

USBBoomStick  = again USB in name so suppose another tool needing physical access

Only about 2 days to go 

Guessing:
ScreenCrab: Screengrabber, HDMI<->HDMI or something, how you'd connect to it remotely is the issue though. Most hideable would be wifi, though USB (through pineapple) or ethernet (with autossh) is also possible.

USBLadybug/USBBroomStick: Atleast one of them I'm guessing is an upgraded ducky, either with remote control, or USB packet interception and transmit over wifi, or USB to bluetooth-adapter. 

Archived