What is the packet squirrel?

m40295

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone,

I guess I can give you guys a tiny bit more information..

• The Packet Squirrel is not the Lan Turtle 3G, it is a different product.
  • The Packet Squirrel is not wireless.
  • The Packet Squirrel will be awesome.

More information will be released closer to the launch of the Hak5 Packet Squirrel.

16 minutes ago, Sebkinne said:

Hey everyone,

I guess I can give you guys a tiny bit more information..

• The Packet Squirrel is not the Lan Turtle 3G, it is a different product.
  • The Packet Squirrel is not wireless.
  • The Packet Squirrel will be awesome.

More information will be released closer to the launch of the Hak5 Packet Squirrel.

MAAAAAAAAN! Why isn't it wireless :/ Was so keen for another wireless pentesting tool..

So it's like the LAN Turtle in that it plugs into a network via ethernet, capturing packets and passing them on to where they need to be?

Payloads doe..writing scripts for what the PS should do with the packets it has captured? Packet tagging, packet streaming to your phone, DHCP/DNS changes to PCs (fake a DNS/DHCP change packet to a PC?), etc..

I have a feeling its going to have very fast storage.  @Sebkinne Do you guys have a release date set or is it more of a fly by wire, when your ready it will come?

3 new devices in under a year that is awesome.  if you include the lan turtle 3g.

27 minutes ago, b0N3z said:

@Sebkinne Do you guys have a release date set or is it more of a fly by wire, when your ready it will come?

I would estimate late August / mid September.

3 new devices in under a year that is awesome.  if you include the lan turtle 3g.

It's actually four devices so far. The LT 3G has an unannounced brother :)

The start of this week was gloom, and as it has progressed it keeps getting better.  This sounds totally awesome.

Alright, so I want to speculate something based on all the other products that are out there from Hak5 already. Here's what we know.

-- The device uses wired ethernet, but NOT wireless data

-- The device is made for man in the middle attacks

-- The device deals with packets

I think the Packet Squirrel is a three port, 1 gig switch device. One port is an input, one is a clean output, and one is a modified output.

This would be able to process the input and output at really high speed, probably with it's own high-end processor and linux distro to deal with the dataload, and at least one USB port. This would be powered by a 5v microusb or POE. Usage case would be to tcpdump from an incoming wan signal, then output that to a USB device, clone the input to a clean output port, and have a place for a modified port that can be forwarded, filtered, and all that other stuff. Hence, man in the middle.

From there, you can do a whole bunch of other stuff with the traffic, like you would with a lan turtle. But that just sounds like a pineapple without wifi? Yeah, but there are a few other things that might differentiate it.

-- Onboard 1tb/storage, a sata slot, or one of the new low-profile storage slots would do it. That way TCPdumps could be done directly to the squirrel, and when you go to pick up the device, you have everything in one neat package

-- @Sebkinne said this wasn't a wireless device, but that might not entirely be true. The squirrel might communicate on a non-traditional wireless spectrum like LORA or whatever to achieve a long-distance shell.

-- The Squirrel might just be a 1g port cloning switch, powered by microusb or POE. If that's the case, then we may have already seen the device in the video on this thread, in the little multi-colored switches that they were using for their credit card machines. At the right price point and throughput, that would be impressive.

-- A fourth port is a USB 3.0/3.1 port that hosts Ethernet. It would combine well with the bash bunny, nano, or lan turtle, and auto configure for devices that attach via RDNIS. Combined with a ducky, it'd give you flat if-then packet injection possibilities. Combined with a bunny, it'd give you a shell. Combined with a nano, a wireless shell. With a cellphone, 3g, 4g, bluetooth, wifi. With a lan-turtle 3g, full 1g packet manipulation and redirection, complete with shell, and now featuring USB 3.0/3.1 and 3g for near total capture and a shell that can be controlled from anywhere in the world.

On 8/11/2017 at 2:59 PM, incendiarySolution said:

-- The Squirrel might just be a 1g port cloning switch, powered by microusb or POE. If that's the case, then we may have already seen the device in the video on this thread, in the little multi-colored switches that they were using for their credit card machines. At the right price point and throughput, that would be impressive.

might have been this

59 minutes ago, Sebkinne said:

I do many things, but I don't lie :)

Wouldn't it be nice if you made a long-range radio-based Turtle that can talk to another similar Turtle so they can share a network over a few kms? (totally not referring to a Sonnet-based-Turtle here..)

It would be a small-range VPN that doesn't require internet or anything.

• 2 weeks later...

When will

On 8/21/2017 at 7:38 PM, Sebkinne said:

I do many things, but I don't lie :)

Don't worry about people like me pressuring you. It come naturally since you're teasing us. Anyways I love the name! I would love to hear an official release date that's a little more accurate then stated above. Please understand that everyone would love to hear about the new amazing product that comes from an excellent company such as HAK5. The problem is It just ruins the surprise. Take your time and please don't rush

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Draxiom said:

I think it'll be like a LAN Turtle, but hidden in one of their travel switches. 

Mmm, I'm thinking it'll be similar to the LT more than any other device Hak5 has. And the fact that it collects packets like a squirrel kinda sounds like a packet-holding switch, so yeah, you could be right.

Archived