DIY 5$ wifi jammer using ESP8266 modules

OPS32

A while back I remember seeing a simple ESP8266 wifi jammer, it announces a huge number of APs with random names, making it hard for devices to connect to real networks:

http://ruralhacker.blogspot.pt/2016/01/esp8266-jamming.html

things have GREATLY IMPROVED , newly realeased jammer can to selective deauth from 5$ wifi module

Deauthentication attack and other ‘wifi hacks’ using an ESP8266 module.

"mdk3 wlan0 d" on any linux system with compatible card, will do the same thing. If you have a raspberry pi already, then you can save yourself $5.

19 minutes ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

Will that jam the network on only that system or surrounding systems?

mdk3 as above, kills all wifi(within ranges I should say). You can set white and black lists with mdk3 though, just read the help file. It's used generally for capturing 4 way handshake when you want to use airodump with it, or, can be a dick and just kill your neighbors wifi all day long. Some routers might reboot or crash, and others might ignore it all together, but clients generally have no protection.

Edited by digip

27 minutes ago, digip said:

mdk3 as above, kills all wifi(within ranges I should say). You can set white and black lists with mdk3 though, just read the help file. It's used generally for capturing 4 way handshake when you want to use airodump with it, or, can be a dick and just kill your neighbors wifi all day long. Some routers might reboot or crash, and others might ignore it all together, but clients generally have no protection.

Weird - how does it do that? Does it tell the WiFi adapter to be bad, or does it do something else? Blocking everyone's attempts to connect to a WiFi network from a PC seems OP..

2 hours ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

Weird - how does it do that? Does it tell the WiFi adapter to be bad, or does it do something else? Blocking everyone's attempts to connect to a WiFi network from a PC seems OP..

It sends Deauths, like aireplay can, only you don't have to specify a specific router, it looks for and sends to all it can see in the area. It's nor really an actual frequency/radio jammer, just a wifi deauth tool.

37 minutes ago, digip said:

It sends Deauths, like aireplay can, only you don't have to specify a specific router, it looks for and sends to all it can see in the area. It's nor really an actual frequency/radio jammer, just a wifi deauth tool.

Okay, so it tells the router/s to deauth any device in range, or just itself?

7 hours ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

Okay, so it tells the router/s to deauth any device in range, or just itself?

mdk3 deauths everything, which ideally, is not something you're going to be doing without reason. Read up on the tool(s), give it a try yourself. Requires a compatible wifi card, but you can use mdk3 like a sledge hammer or preferably try aireplay-ng if you want to just want to test a single AP you own in a more testable approach for just your equipment.

Is airdrop-ng still around?  We may have been playing with it at a shmoocon several years ago.  I can't remember who we were messing with at the time, but we were killing his Macbook Pro's connection.  Guess he didn't pray to the demo-gods enough before his talk...  ;-)

Hahahahahaha!!  Found it!  It was Kingtuna and TheX1le.  They released airdrop-ng a couple days before the con.  They were trying to give a talk about it.  Seems to work!

https://ia800602.us.archive.org/29/items/shmoocon2010/WifiBomb-Kingtuna.m4v

Edited by barry99705

• 3 weeks later...

This sends deauth packets to the router which are packets that aren't encrypted so can be sent by anyone. This is an old security flaw. Some routers are so fast at reconnecting now thought that it doesn't affect them. I've attempted it on a Virgin SuperHub 2 and it doesn't deauth. 

I've only had a quick play but it doesn't deauth all networks? You specifically select a network(s) that you want to affect and then it only does it for those. 

• 2 months later...

I used a board for this that I got from Ali for probably around a dollar. It uses a web interface and does a good job sending a lot of packets. I used it to test my home network and was able to see how my mesh network responded. Fun easy tool to quickly test a network. You can select a specific AP or a specific client.  I got bored one day and didn't have anything that needed building so I macgyvered a longer antenna onto it and tested my network again. (I know that I am losing antenna efficiency, I was just bored.) 

One day when I have the skill I may set it up as a cool MITM device. Unless.... maybe a squirrel starts living in my pocket? We will find out Friday.

• 2 weeks later...