Headless Pi Wardriving w/ Kismet

Daemon0x90

I recently decided I was sick and tired of using my laptop to wardrive and needed something more portable. I decided to take one of my pi3's load the Kali arm image and went mostly off of this tutorial.

The pi has been set-up to start the wifi on boot and not wait for sign-in which, this tutorial does not provide. However the problem is the headless nature of the project. I started writing a small shell script that basically starts gpsd in the background, verifies successful initialization with $?, then puts wlan1 into monitor mode with airmon-ng, and from there, I need to start a headless instance of Kismet. This is where I am having issues. Kismet almost always refuses to run in the background, I run kistmet_server -i wlan1mon -t <logname> -s and it still populates data in the foreground and when I close the terminal so that I can just throw the pi in a bag and go on my merry way, it stops functioning/logging.

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

I run a headless RPi3 in my car for automation.

Use this and SSH in to it from your phone/whatever you like. Full shell on-the-go. And when you're near a recognised WiFi, it connects to that instead. Lovely.

When you disconnect the SSH session, the RPi can carry on whatever it's doing. You can then SSH back in to it at a later time and stop kismet.

Use the bg and fg commands when running Kismet and you can come back to it later.

Edited by haze1434

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/2/2017 at 9:31 AM, haze1434 said:

I run a headless RPi3 in my car for automation.

Use this and SSH in to it from your phone/whatever you like. Full shell on-the-go. And when you're near a recognised WiFi, it connects to that instead. Lovely.

When you disconnect the SSH session, the RPi can carry on whatever it's doing. You can then SSH back in to it at a later time and stop kismet.

Use the bg and fg commands when running Kismet and you can come back to it later.

This setup you have is awesome.  I setup followed that for my rpi3 and worked great.  but still stuck on the being able to disconnect from the pi and still keep kismet running and then be able to reconnect later to check on it or stop it.

On 8/2/2017 at 0:54 PM, i8igmac said:

have you looked into screen?

screen will allow you to escape from a console while leaving your current application running in the background. You can then connect back to the screen session later on.

So my experience with screen is very little.  I read through a couple pages about it and got the tl:dr.  would this something I can do from my android phone with an app like juicessh?  I installed it on my pi and use it on osx to connect to the bashbunny via serial. but thats about it.

10 hours ago, b0N3z said:

This setup you have is awesome.  I setup followed that for my rpi3 and worked great.  but still stuck on the being able to disconnect from the pi and still keep kismet running and then be able to reconnect later to check on it or stop it.

So my experience with screen is very little.  I read through a couple pages about it and got the tl:dr.  would this something I can do from my android phone with an app like juicessh?  I installed it on my pi and use it on osx to connect to the bashbunny via serial. but thats about it.

I use it almost daily with juicessh from my android phone, after this intro I'm sure you will use it too. Just a example below.

kali@kali:~$screen
	(New session started with PID=4456)
	kali@kali:~$airodump-ng -w log-handshakes -i wlp3s0
	(ctrl+a+d... disconnect from console and runs in background, We can connect back to the console later)
	(Another session with PID-4457)
	kali@kali:~$mdk3 -I wlp1s0 -d
	(ctrl+a+d... disconnect from console and background the process.)
	kali@kali:~$exit
	(Both sessions are still running)

So. There are 2console applications currently running. The first one is logging handshakes. The second session or daemon is deauthrnticating all clients in range.

I can connect back to these screen sessions at anytime. 

kali@kali:~$creen -r 4456

you could do the same with kismet, I assume you are logging data just like I have done with the above example.

I think you can also start kismet with a rc.local startup script using SCREEN to allow you to connect back to the session

Edited by i8igmac
[CODE]help PLZ[/CODE]

On 8/21/2017 at 6:52 AM, i8igmac said:

I use it almost daily with juicessh from my android phone, after this intro I'm sure you will use it too. Just a example below.

(New session started with PID=4456)
	kali@kali:~$airodump-ng -w log-handshakes -i wlp3s0
	(ctrl+a+d... disconnect from console and runs in background, We can connect back to the console later)
	(Another session with PID-4457)
	kali@kali:~$mdk3 -I wlp1s0 -d
	(ctrl+a+d... disconnect from console and background the process.)
	kali@kali:~$exit
	(Both sessions are still running)

So. There are 2console applications currently running. The first one is logging handshakes. The second session or daemon is deauthrnticating all clients in range.

I can connect back to these screen sessions at anytime. 

kali@kali:~$creen -r 4456

you could do the same with kismet, I assume you are logging data just like I have done with the above example.

I think you can also start kismet with a rc.local startup script using SCREEN to allow you to connect back to the session

Just got around to messing with this and you are correct, this is awesome, definitely going all my RPi.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, numb3rs80 said:

Has Hak.5 done a war flying episode where they use a drone? I have ideas!

I think they've done this where they shut down a second drone's wifi before. Shannone and Darren were each flyign one and Darren would shut Shannon's drone down. if you want to see something like this with a full Kali install over wifi on a drone, check our Re4sons Pi. Can do more than just wardriving - https://whitedome.com.au/re4son/sticky-fingers-kali-pi/