Trying to flash new firmware 1.3

Zombiemedic

Having the worst time trying to flash 1.3. I'm currently on 1.0 and I've followed the upgrade process to the letter. Hasn't worked on my Mac or any of my VM's (Windows, Linux). Each time I attempt to upgrade it starts to blink red for less then 15 sec turns green then nothing. Won't even recognize as a usb device till I plug it in for the 3rd time to do the recovery process. I'm afraid if I continue to try to upgrade I'm gonna brick this thing. Recovery has been straight forward and has worked every time. Seriously I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Not sure if there is a 1st gen bug or what. Absolutely love this BB and want to get the new firmware going ASAP. 

2 hours ago, Zombiemedic said:

Ya went back and tried 1.1 and 1.2 with no luck. Didn't think to check the checksums. 

Well you obviously weren't following the "process to the letter" then, eh? :P (It says to check them - though I rarely do because I can't be bothered half the time...even though on Windows it's just right click, CRC SHA and SHA-256..)

Edited by Dave-ee Jones

Unfortunately, I've found myself in a similar frustrating situation. However, it seems your bunny recovers OK so that's a bit better than me at the moment :(

Here is what happened:

• received new bunny
  • booted into firmware ver 1.0

check! everything works

• downloaded 1.3 firmware from wiki page
  • noticed it was in .gz format
  • assumed it needed unpacked
  • fired up Fedora VM
  • unpacked .gz
  • sleepy moment (i put both the .gz and the unpacked file in root) smh
  • safely removed drive
  • unplugged / plugged back in
  • red flashing light 
  • one green light
  • and nothing.... forever
  • nothing in device manager
  • unplug replug 2x more with same results
  • (device gets Very warm)

bummer! my overthinking stupidity has put me in a pickle

Here is what i've tried:

• This all went down on USB 3.0 (must be the problem)
  • Same results on USB 2.0
  • recovery process does appear to begin after third unplug/replug
  • red blinking light forever
  • blue
  • red
  • blue
  • purple
  • red
  • blue
  • purpe
  • red blue purple
  • one green
  • red blinking for about 15 seconds
  • one green
  • one super faint flickering blue light, then nothing. 
  • and the loop resets (made a couple video's if interested)
  • 2x more unplug/replug
  • and the recovery starts over
  • used the powershell command to find out the com port since win10 device manager (with show hidden devices checked) still doesn't show com ports menu COM3
  • used putty = no serial connection

I'm tempted to pull the bunny after the first green light during recovery, just to see what happens after a replug, but afraid the recovery / flashing process may not be complete and don't want to risk completely bricking the device. Although, in it's current state .... 

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance. Still kicking myself for silly mistake

Edited by UnLo

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, k0hg4 said:

Following this as well. Just got one at DEFCON, whenever I try to flash it to a new firmware only the udisk remains.

Can you describe in a bit more detail your process and what you have tried?  I assume you are following the guide here https://wiki.bashbunny.com/#!downloads.md

Sure thing. I first attempted to move from 1.0 -> 1.1 -> 1.2 -> 1.3. after I attempted to load the official tool set. I noticed it didn't seem to be working and when I logged onto the shell I noticed all that was left was /udisk. I then flashed back to the recovery 1.0. since I have tried each version individually and each time I end up with just the /udisk. Note when I recover everything comes back and I have the full Directory structure.

21 minutes ago, k0hg4 said:

Sure thing. I first attempted to move from 1.0 -> 1.1 -> 1.2 -> 1.3. after I attempted to load the official tool set. I noticed it didn't seem to be working and when I logged onto the shell I noticed all that was left was /udisk. I then flashed back to the recovery 1.0. since I have tried each version individually and each time I end up with just the /udisk. Note when I recover everything comes back and I have the full Directory structure.

Try following these instructions and see if it solves your issue: -

I had a similar issue with the bash bunny not upgrading and getting very hot.  I looked at the downloaded file and noticed it was named 'ch_fw_1.3_264.tar' after downloading.   Based on the download site it should have a name of 'ch_fw_1.3_264.tar.gz'.  I renamed the file to now have .gz extension and then placed it on the bunny and it upgraded fine.   Let me know if this also works for you.

• 2 months later...