No Packet Injection on Raspberry Pi 3 (Kali ARM image)

Decoy

Hi everyone. I recently picked up a new Pi 3, and I set it up to run headless with CC through SSH. I'm having difficulty getting packet injection to work for some reason. I know the Alfa cards work, I can use them successfully on my other devices just fine. 0/30 tests failed with aireplay-ng injection testing on the Pi for some reason. Kali 2.0 works fine on my laptop and PC. Anyone else have this issue before? I can pick up APs just fine, I've tried turning off channel hopping, specifically defining an ssid. No joy. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Decoy

First thing is start with airmon-ng and see what it says, will tell you about the card, and also check for other things that could be issue.

If it sees the card, thats a good sign. Then run:

airmon-ng check

If it lists anything, run

airmon-ng check kill

Then try airmon-ng check again. Should be nothing in the way now. Then start the card into monitor mode.

airmon-ng start wlan0

Then test injection with:

aireplay-ng -9 wlan0

Where wlan0 is your card id, replace as needed. If the above doesn't work, you could have the wrong driver loaded. I don't own a pi to test.

That is where I would start for the basics. If it is a driver issue, then you might need to compile them specifically for ARM or blacklist one and load another, but I would think if the main desktop works, we have them for ARM as well, but that don't quote me on that. I don't work on the dev team, I only make the artwork for Kali, ie: grub boot loader, wallpapers, install and lock screens, icons, etc.

Also, try https://docs.kali.org/installation/troubleshooting-wireless-driver-issues 

2 hours ago, digip said:

First thing is start with airmon-ng and see what it says, will tell you about the card, and also check for other things that could be issue.

If it sees the card, thats a good sign. Then run:

airmon-ng check

If it lists anything, run

airmon-ng check kill

Then try airmon-ng check again. Should be nothing in the way now. Then start the card into monitor mode.

airmon-ng start wlan0

Then test injection with:

aireplay-ng -9 wlan0

Where wlan0 is your card id, replace as needed. If the above doesn't work, you could have the wrong driver loaded. I don't own a pi to test.

That is where I would start for the basics. If it is a driver issue, then you might need to compile them specifically for ARM or blacklist one and load another, but I would think if the main desktop works, we have them for ARM as well, but that don't quote me on that. I don't work on the dev team, I only make the artwork for Kali, ie: grub boot loader, wallpapers, install and lock screens, icons, etc.

Also, try https://docs.kali.org/installation/troubleshooting-wireless-driver-issues 

I did kill all the processes that airmon-ng said might be an issue. I've tried just about everything; however it looks like it might be an issue with the Kernel for the ARM image. I'm going to try building a custom image with the right drivers for it. Thanks for the info, I'll post my findings. 

Can also try "readlink /sys/class/net/wlan0/device/driver" and see if it shows what you expect to be the same driver as what you get on the desktop(run on both desktop and the pi then compare the results). If it's an ndiswrapper only driver, no injection will be possible. Not even sure monitor mode either, but you should already know this with airmon output. The aireplay-ng -9 should tell you though if it's capable of injection. Make sure the card is in monitor mode before trying aireplay-ng -9.

Like you mentioned about the kernel, might be that the ARM kernel wasn't configured 100% for the same cards as desktop versions, which should be reported if it's a bug, but I doubt that they don't have it setup for the same hardware support on both unless there is a limitation in the Pi that I'm not aware of. Some suggestions check say check the bios, but I don't know what bios has wifi flags for anything that I've ever seen.

Another thing to try, apt-get update, upgrade and dist upgrade, see if that fixes it, or even roll back to 2016.1 or 2, see what happens. Might just be missing the proper drivers. Iv'e even run into issues where a live disc worked with on board wifi, and a native install on same device, did not, and I never did figure out what was different. That was like BackTrack 3 or 4 though, but I suspect similar issues can happen.

Make sure you have the wireless meta packages installed too(although you if you have aircrack, you probably do already).

"apt-get install kali-linux-wireless"

Seems to be the same...

Laptop (working):

../../../../../../bus/usb/drivers/rt2800usb

Pi (not working):

../../../../../../../../bus/usb/drivers/rt2800usb

No joy on the Pi. So strange...

I am installing the kali-linux-wireless now. Hopefully that will resolve it. I'll keep you updated. Thanks for the suggestions.

Just an FYI, there is a project out that might help with the wifi side on the Pi. Something one of our community members is working on, figured it might help.

I know he has a custom Kernel he worked on to do the wireless attacks stuff with the Pi, might have some insights to help with your project or at least lead you to an answer or fix for the wireless stuff. https://whitedome.com.au/re4son/kali-pi/

On 27/06/2017 at 6:06 PM, digip said:

Just an FYI, there is a project out that might help with the wifi side on the Pi. Something one of our community members is working on, figured it might help.

I know he has a custom Kernel he worked on to do the wireless attacks stuff with the Pi, might have some insights to help with your project or at least lead you to an answer or fix for the wireless stuff. https://whitedome.com.au/re4son/kali-pi/

So far no luck on getting it working. Monitor mode works fine, just no injection... I've seen him post that in the Kali forums. Is it legit? I don't like the idea of downloading someone else's custom kernel....

On 6/27/2017 at 1:06 PM, digip said:

it seems like he is using a tp-link w722n for wifi . id be interested if you find a way to get the rpi3 to work with sniff/inject.

9 hours ago, b0N3z said:

it seems like he is using a tp-link w722n for wifi . id be interested if you find a way to get the rpi3 to work with sniff/inject.

I actually just bought one of those as an alternative to my Alfa, just to see if that would work. I've been reading various articles on patching the injection flaw. I just can't see how they didn't test this when creating the Kali arm image. I tested my older B+ Pi1, and sniffing/injection works fine on that one. I'll let you know of the patching attempts work.

17 hours ago, Decoy said:

So far no luck on getting it working. Monitor mode works fine, just no injection... I've seen him post that in the Kali forums. Is it legit? I don't like the idea of downloading someone else's custom kernel....

His kernel is more for the built in wifi side. Don't have to install his kernel, but I believe he has the source which might help see what differs in his to yours. And yes, is legit. Kali.org blog post about it is now up too - https://www.kali.org/news/kali-drones-portable-ctf-builds-raspberry-pi-craziness-and-more/ which is how I knew about it when I added part of the post draft before it was live and remembered your issues.