CLI Windows Update?

VaKo

Does windows let you run the Windows Update from the command line sans gui? FreeBSD lets you do a full systemwide update with portsnap fetch update and portupgrade -a but I haven't been able to find a way of doing similar via cmd.exe. I know its linked into IE6, but there must be a non-gui update tool somewhere.

The only tool I know of to do this is wuauclt.

There's not much documentation for it and several Google results will tell you that.

I also don't know if this is only limited to WSUS (Windows Server Update Services?) or if it can be used for Internet updates as well.

I'm almost positive that you can't actually update a computer with this tool, rather only force a connection with whatever update server to download the needed updates.

This command is also one of those run-it-and-wait jobs where there's no feedback from the program as to what it's actually doing so you'll have to wait a few minutes to see if the WU icon appears in the systray. Maybe keeping an eye on Event Viewer might tell you something.