Best Handheld gaming solution

b0N3z

Im looking for something handheld for gaming that I can throw in my backpack and have fun anywhere.  Ive seen the new nintendo switch and im not sure about it.  Ive been looking at the 3ds XL and the PS Vita.  The Vita is getting old and im afraid if I buy it Sony will put something new out a month later (my luck) and my other option is the 3ds XL.  Id like to stay under 400 for device and must have accessories (i.e. cables, adapters, etc).  I will have an internet connection at home to setup and download any games via an app style store, but im not guaranteed an internet connection when im out and about.  I like to play RPG, racing, action, shooter style games.   

Any insight on your pros and cons would be great :) 

16 hours ago, Rkiver said:

Consider building a raspberry pi zero into a case and using it to play loads of old school games?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/game-boy-zero/

Ive been seriously thinking about this but my soldering skills are still a bit rusty.  I have a Pi3 with retro pi right now i run off my tv and its totally awesome.  

38 minutes ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

Or you could just use a rooted Android phone..

I have a rooted nexus 6p, I play a couple of android games on it but I don't like to really drain the battery with game because I use it a lot for music.  I have 10gb data a month and I use it all for mostly streaming music.

3 hours ago, b0N3z said:

I have a rooted nexus 6p, I play a couple of android games on it but I don't like to really drain the battery with game because I use it a lot for music.  I have 10gb data a month and I use it all for mostly streaming music.

10GB data a month?!

I have 1GB a month..You know you can just get an unlimited-music streaming plan right? Could be cheaper than your current plan. And that way your data isn't being melted by music. Not sure if your country has those kind of plans though.

8 hours ago, b0N3z said:

Ive been seriously thinking about this but my soldering skills are still a bit rusty.  I have a Pi3 with retro pi right now i run off my tv and its totally awesome.  

I found a guy on youtube called https://www.youtube.com/user/madlittlepixel who has been building images you can download, some small less that 16gigi retro ones with arcade and nes etc, and even has a functioning 128gig Playstation one. 

14 hours ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

10GB data a month?!

I have 1GB a month..You know you can just get an unlimited-music streaming plan right? Could be cheaper than your current plan. And that way your data isn't being melted by music. Not sure if your country has those kind of plans though.

have prepaid straight talk and its only 55 a month for 10gigs