DirectX 10

maddog

Here's the thing. The evil people on the web don't _need_ root access or anything like that anymore. Most of the non-windows crowd claims *NIX is safer because you don't need to be root 24/7 to get something useful done.

What do 99.9% of the Windows virusses these days do? They take over your mail client. Make you send out shit to other people. Install a backdoor. Whatever. If they can go for Admin, they will, but if they can't they technically don't really need to.

So far, the *NIX people have been more cautious with regards to integration, and more security-concious when adding new features to existing products. The end result is a safer product, but by no means a silver bullet. And once the unwashed masses are poured out over Linux or whatever those fuckers will want all those stupid features in there. They will install the spyware for which a clever Firefox plugin will have been written aswell. They might not get fucked as hard as they used to, but trust me when I say they'll still feel it when they sit down.

The only true silver bullet is education, and a healthy dose of distrust and paranoia to everything that's on the screen. Sadly, that's too much of a bummer for most people these days.

I have heard a lot recently about Microsoft releasing DirectX 10 and seen several pics of it, but I was wondering. Many people say that it will revolutionize PC gaming I didn't know if this was true. So I'm asking anyone that knows anything about PC gaming: will directx 10 revolutionize PC gaming and is vista worth getting just for directx 10?

in 2-4 years time, vista will be the only OS worth running

XP will be a thing of the past

in 2-4 years time, vista will be 6 years away from being as powerful as linux

and XP will be just shit

:lol:

but seriously linux is much more advanced than vista take graphics ppl say oooh pretty vista graphics 2 years ago linux could do the same and better

plus whats the point of getting vista i mean the BSODs will still be there i promise

But windows isn't shit, its way ahead of *nix in terms of usability and user friendly features. Its hard enough to get Joe Public to telnet into a mailbox, open a ssh connection and type "top" or just do a simple ipconfig /release & /renew. Just imagine having to talk them threw setting up a linux box to replace every function of there windows box. Or help them fix a dependency problem over the phone.

3-5 years before Linux will be ready to sell to the general public, 10 years until its accepted as a mainstream desktop OS. Or, the ultimate test would be to give a distro away with a national tabloid (like the Sun in the UK) and be able to have a 95%+ success rate with the general public. (IE 95% of the people who attempt to install it get it to work).

But I think linux is barking up the wrong tree personally, the desktop is not the battlefield. Its appliances. More and more things have computers in them these days, and linux would be perfect for it. One universal core in every single device, just modified by the products dev team. It has a million advantages over proprietorial software and would be perfect for things like TV sets, radio's and phones etc.

It already does, on the server market at least. In the home, I think it has a very good chance of becoming the appliance OS of choice. As for desktop computers, 3-5 years before its ready, 10 years before its as big of a name as Microsoft in the home market. In the west at least. Places like China and India are looking at Linux as a way of freeing there infrastructure from American control, so I think it will grow faster over there. They both have huge internal markets and are both on a massive development push. Places like Kerala in India are already transitioning over to entirely FOSS due to MS costs. But in the west where windows is generally included in the price of a PC, its going to take a lot longer, and its going to be a lot harder to bring people over to Linux. MS Windows XP and Vista are good, solid OS's despite what fanboys say so you would need to actually have a good reason to move away from it.

Its possible, I know there are a few city's in Germany that are experimenting with using Novel SLED and SLES, and France is also looking into it. But for the consumer and big business its a bit different, goverments have costs to resolve on a much bigger scale, so SLED + the MS/Novel inter-oprability agreements will be very interesting to them. But this is still not free, its paid for linux.

I still think the big test will be when Ubuntu can safely be given away with The Sun or The Mirror.