Powershell drive letter variable error

mattsibley

I am finding that I am having an error with some PowerShell code that I am working on. What I want to be able to do is to have a variable, say $uk,  where the drive label name is 'backup' and then force the creation of folders using the declared variable as the drive letter eg $uk\$env:computername\$env:username . The code is pasted below:

#Asssigns $uk Variable to current drive letter for the mounted volume where the label name = backup
$uk = Get-WmiObject Win32_Volume | ? {$_.label -eq 'backup'}
#Creates a directory on the C:\ Drive naming the folders [The Computer Name] and [User] and ignores if already exists.
md $uk\$env:computername\$env:username -force | Out-Null
#It then uses Get-WmiObject to get the OS information and exports this info to the created directory calling the file export.csv.
Get-WmiObject -class win32_operatingsystem | Export-Csv $uk\$env:computername\$env:username\export.csv
#Then echos Export Complete into console.
echo "Export Complete"
#Sleep for two seconds.
Start-Sleep -s 2
#Kill Powershell process.
#stop-process -Id $Pid

However, when this runs I get this error:

md : Illegal characters in path.
At C:\Users\Matt\OneDrive\Documents\Matt's Documents\ExportOSInfo.ps1:8 char:1
+ md $uk\$env:computername\$env:username -force | Out-Null
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (\\MATT-PC\root\...6ed}\\"\MATT-PC:String) [New-Item], Argu 
   mentException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ItemExistsArgumentError,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.NewItemCommand

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (\\MATT-PC\root\...6ed}\\"\MATT-PC:String) [New-Item], Argu 
   mentException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CreateDirectoryArgumentError,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.NewItemCommand

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (\\MATT-PC\root\...\"\MATT-PC\Matt:String) [New-Item], Argu 
   mentException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CreateDirectoryArgumentError,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.NewItemCommand

Export-Csv : Cannot perform operation because the wildcard path \\MATT-PC\root\cimv2:Win32_Volume.DeviceID=
"\\\\?\\Volume{2277fba4-e118-11e3-8533-94de807ff6ed}\\"\MATT-PC\Matt\export.csv did not resolve to a file.
At C:\Users\Matt\OneDrive\Documents\Matt's Documents\ExportOSInfo.ps1:10 char:46
+ ... ingsystem | Export-Csv $uk\$env:computername\$env:username\export.csv ...
+                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : OpenError: (\\MATT-PC\root\...Matt\export.csv:String) [Export-Csv], FileNotF 
   oundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : FileOpenFailure,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ExportCsvCommand

Obviously there is an error in the file path where it is trying to get the volume. I am not too sure how i would fix this tried wrapping the variable name in ${}  and with a :\ after the variable eg $uk:\, neither of these produce the desired result. Can anyone help?

Matt

5 hours ago, mattsibley said:

#Asssigns $uk Variable to current drive letter for the mounted volume where the label name = backup
$uk = Get-WmiObject Win32_Volume | ? {$_.label -eq 'backup'}

The line above is the issue.  You are passing the whole volume object and then trying to use it.  If you want to use it as a single variable, you have to separate out the driveletter part.

$uk = (Get-WmiObject Win32_Volume | ? {$_.label -eq 'backup'}).DriveLetter