Wifi Pineapple Rant

I have used mine and it has heated up over and over and over,  Ive rarely ever had these problems and cant reproduce them.  same with the sd card, Ive been using the same two for over a year and they are two different brands.

• Upvote 1

My nano gets way more than a bit "warm"... it gets straight-up hot. I'm almost afraid to stick it in the tactical soft case, thinking it'll get even hotter, maybe to the point of actually causing issues/damage.

I'm still unable to use deauth successfully within recon. It always tells me "Please start PineAP and try again", even though PineAP was already running when I hit deauth. Actually, hitting deauth in recon appears to turn off PineAP (?)...

As far as the recon scan stalling/hanging up, it occasionally happens to me, and usually requires a reboot to rectify.

So, are any of you still having these same issues too? I'm especially interested in why deauth in recon always fails, appearing to actually shut off PineAP?

I first encountered PineAP after booting it on my little gl-inet travel router. It took some trying, but I got it going. When I got my original pineapple nano hardware, it took about 3 tries to get the SD card to work, but after that it's been mostly smooth sailing. Yes, it has a hiccup from time to time but a lot of what i've tried so far has been pretty experimental. In my eyes however, the true beauty is that nearly all of this is open source. Doesn't hurt to take a peek at whats going on under the hood. ;P 

Keep up the good work Hak5, Much appreciate the continued support. 

I have to agree that the current state of the Nano isn't ideal.  I've had  Mark IV and V pineapple and those run like a dream when compared to the nano.  From day 1 I've had issues with the microSD like quite a number of other posts out there.  When I finally got things up and running and attempted to run a site survey by just wandering my building with the pinapple, I found that the management SSID wasn't available which would only show up after rebooting the device, which at that point the logs from my recon were gone.  Like another post said, I'm spending more time troubleshooting issues with the Nano than actually using it, which is a shame when previous products were pretty solid and reliable.

• Upvote 1

My Nano is working great. Granted issues to come up here and there; however Hak5 is mostly open source for the benefits of having a community driven forum to discuss these issues in a constructive way. If you don't like how something works, most likely you can modify the code or script to make it function the way you want. Most of the modules being complained about here aren't written by Hak5, and those are also open source. I've made a handful of modifications to almost every module I use. I think the problem is that some people buy these devices and expect everything to work with little or no effort (or knowledge). All that said, it is possible to get defective hardware from time to time, and Hak5 is generally pretty good at responding to those cases from what I've seen.

Instead of unboxing and running out to the first apartment complex you see so you can show your friends what a cool haxor you are, setup a lab first. Connect some devices to it, play with it for a while, get comfortable. Hack your own stuff. Try to break it, then try to fix it. Make it better.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Tactical Nano Elite and I've configured my wifi pineapple AP management SSID for wireless management. I've noticed once it boots up using the anker or direct with the Y dongle cable... it keeps the configurations provided. But once you power on the WP (wife pineapple),  it doesn't allow me to connect via wifi for management. What I had to do is... I have to connect the device via usb tether with my tablet and re-apply the network settings for AP management. Once I've updated the Network settings, only then I am able to connect to the device wireless to manage my WP device with either a laptop, phone or tablet. Why is that? Why do I have to constantly tether my device and re-apply the AP Management settings when the device is powered on? I thought it should be automated. Is there something I'm missing? 

On 7/23/2017 at 2:16 AM, Ei8htbits said:

I have the Tactical Nano Elite and I've configured my wifi pineapple AP management SSID for wireless management. I've noticed once it boots up using the anker or direct with the Y dongle cable... it keeps the configurations provided. But once you power on the WP (wife pineapple),  it doesn't allow me to connect via wifi for management. What I had to do is... I have to connect the device via usb tether with my tablet and re-apply the network settings for AP management. Once I've updated the Network settings, only then I am able to connect to the device wireless to manage my WP device with either a laptop, phone or tablet. Why is that? Why do I have to constantly tether my device and re-apply the AP Management settings when the device is powered on? I thought it should be automated. Is there something I'm missing? 

i too began experiencing this exactly described issue. around the same time i checked the logs and found a slew of SD card error issues. not entirely sure if that was the root cause. but i'd suggest giving your pineapple a fresh start with a factory reset / format SD. Post the logs/ debug download if you find anything weird or unusual. Since my reset i've not had to perform that crazy tether / reset to get connected at each boot. 

• Upvote 1

I'll give that a try. I'll factory restore it  and format the SD card. Sucks tho, I just finished modifying the nano's interface with a custom design and logo. Thanks for the response ace

16 hours ago, UnLo said:

i too began experiencing this exactly described issue. around the same time i checked the logs and found a slew of SD card error issues. not entirely sure if that was the root cause. but i'd suggest giving your pineapple a fresh start with a factory reset / format SD. Post the logs/ debug download if you find anything weird or unusual. Since my reset i've not had to perform that crazy tether / reset to get connected at each boot. 

I have offered many times, too look at these for people, all you have to do is send it to me with the problem
its having and I will test it, and where possible repair it using higher grad components.  The trouble for most of
you guys I am UK based. Could even set up and ebay page to make things run smoother.

• Upvote 2

I'm from the UK, how much do you charge for this ?

@kerravon

I have offered many times, too look at these for people, all you have to do is send it to me with the problem
its having and I will test it, and where possible repair it using higher grad components.  The trouble for most of
you guys I am UK based. Could even set up and ebay page to make things run smoother.

17 hours ago, kerravon said:

Sorry, what is it you are offering? 

On 28/07/2017 at 1:15 PM, Miko said:

I'm from the UK, how much do you charge for this ?

@kerravon

That depends on whats wrong with it but usually its parts and labour, but once I Know whats wrong with it, you would be contacted
with price and parts list in case you wish to purchase parts then it would just be labour about 5/10 GBP

On 29/07/2017 at 4:01 AM, UnLo said:

Sorry, what is it you are offering? 

to diagnose and possibly repair upgrade faulty componets in the device.

3 hours ago, kerravon said:

to diagnose and possibly repair upgrade faulty componets in the device.

I see. I'm not convinced there are any faulty hardware components yet with my device. How do you diagnose this issue?

1 hour ago, UnLo said:

I see. I'm not convinced there are any faulty hardware components yet with my device. How do you diagnose this issue?

I would start with a firmware recovery if you haven't already. slowly adding/changing one thing at a time until the issue starts. then focus on the last thing I changed and see if i can pin down the root cause.

13 minutes ago, Just_a_User said:

I would start with a firmware recovery if you haven't already. slowly adding/changing one thing at a time until the issue starts. then focus on the last thing I changed and see if i can pin down the root cause.

hiya, yea, If you see my post above I completed a factory reset and SD card format, and everything is working fine. Which is why I was confused what type of hardware issues @kerravon was talking about in his post. 

While it's awesome that the community helps each other out, pretty sure such actions will void any warranties. Meanwhile if there is an actual defect, and it's under warranty, it can be replaced.

• Upvote 2